Elizabethan Seadogs

capnwilliam

Most pirate buffs are interested in the Golden Age (generally defined as 1670 to 1730, or somewhere within those dates).

But what about EARLIER pyrates? Specifically, those of the 1570 - 1600 period? Anyone on the list interested in same?

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Piracy of all ages interests me. One famous pirate of those times that comes to mind is Sir Francis Drake. There are also earlier pyrates I've read about, but can't recall their names right now. If you'd like to discuss them, I'd be happy anytime.

Coastie04

"I'll give you this warning afore we belay-

To me way-ay, blow the man down!

Steer clear of policemen, you'll find it will pay-

Give me some time to blow the man down."

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I agree with Coastie. I am very interested in any era on the subject. I like to see how it evolved and how it grew with the times. How changes in technology played a part and along with that technology, how it came to an end. Although, in reality, it does still exist today. Lets hear what you have to say on the subject and get a discussion going about it............. The Capt.

OK, goode shipmates, we're on! I've got to work this week on paying me annual tribute to the Empire's bloody collectors, but will be able to get the ball rolling shortly thereafter.

There was a mention of Sir Francis Drake; what say ye, pirate or no? Queen Elizabeth referred to him as "my pirate", but methinks she had a thing for him, and got turned on by the term!

Was he really a pirate? Well, he did have letters of marque against Spain, so he was licensed: something pirates aren't. The Spaniards referred to him as a pirate, and to them he surely was.

So is everyone who preys on ships a pirate? What's the difference between a pirate and a privateer?

Capt. William

Sir Francis Drake; what say ye, pirate or no?

<snip> ... Well, he did have letters of marque against Spain, so he was licensed: something pirates aren't.

I don't believe Drake had letters of marque against Spain -- not on his circumnavigation around the world, when he took the Cacafuego of the Pacific coast of S. America (where the Spanish little expected incursions from the English). When he returned he gave good Queen Bess a goodly share of his take, thus she easily forgave his piracies. When the Spanish ambassador came crying foul to her, she gave him the boot. This is one of the reasons for the King of Spain sending the Great Armada to invade England.

Lots of links about Drake at: http://www.mcn.org/2/oseeler/drake.htm

During other attacks on the Spanish Drake probably had a commission, so he would be both pirate and privateer.

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

"Desparate men, we go to seek a desparate fortune!" Capt. Blood

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

I think that a pirate is a pirate,no matter what ya call em.you can give them different names til yer blue in the face,but they all do the same thing=prey on whoever they can get away with and keep their belongings for themselves.

to go off topic/time period for a minute,in my opinion the napoleonic british navy practice of taking prizes is absolutely piracy.

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

to go off topic/time period for a minute,in my opinion the napoleonic british navy practice of taking prizes is absolutely piracy.

Cap'n Weaver m'luv -- you have certainly not gone off topic or time period. First --we have no stated time period here. And we do have another topic about the Baratarians, which are later in period than the Napoleonic Wars.

And you can discuss piracy whether 'tis the navy or the pirates a'doin' it. However -- technically speakin', if you turn over a portion of yer prize to the state you answer to, especially if you have permission ahead o' time to take the prize, then it's privateerin'. So, 'tis quite possible some navy types at times might not fess up to the PTB (powers that be) that they might have "acquired" somethin' er 'nother, so in that case, they would definitely be pirates -- or at least thieves!

In my view, true pirates answer to no government, though some might respect certain nationalities, and perhaps not attack fellow countrymen or their allies.

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

"Now take Sir Francis Drake,

The Spanish all despise him,

But to the British he's a hero

And they idolize 'im.

It's how you look at buccaneers,

That makes 'em bad or good,

And I see us as members of a noble brotherhood."

---Long John Silver from Muppet Treasure Island

--Jamaica Rose

Find No Quarter Given

Capt. William,

do tell us the name of this book-though many a pirate may say they have no need fer letters,I am not one of em.

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

You might also try "Elizabethan Sea Dogs: a Chronicle of Drake and His Companions" by William Charles Henry Wood. Also Elizabethan Privateering : English Privateering During the Spanish War, 1585-1603 by Kenneth R, Andrews.

Elizabethan period also saw the like of women pirate such as Granille N'Malley (aka Grace O'Malley) and Lady Pettigrew. I think you'll find info on them in "Bold in Her Breeches" edited by Jo Stanley. There is also information there on Medieval women pirates.

In the sixteenth century Mediterranean was a hot bed for pirates. The Barbaroosa Brothers and others.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Yew have some good cites there, Red Maria, and yew seem knowledgeable about the sixteenth century. Are yew in the SCA, perchance?

Capt. William

Nay, I am just a 10 year veteran of the original Renaissance Pleasure Faire who also happens to work in a non-profit research library with extensive 16th century holdings both rare and reference material (among other things). So I do quiet a bit of research . :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Mon Dieu! Where is this most interesting institution located, Marie Rouge?

Capt. William

It's the Huntington Library, Art Collections, & Botanical Gardens in San Marino, Ca. Here's a link to the website

www.huntington.org

If you click on the library and scroll down you'll find a link to the Library's online catalog. You can search the Library's holdings but alas! you cannot check out books or get anything on Inter-Library Loans (ILL). :-(

It's predominately a post-doctoral research library but on occasions they'll let non-PhDs' in with letters of recommendations etc. Yeah I know it seems snobby but when you see what the library holds you?ll understand a bit why they are cautious here.

OTOH If you have a question about something you can write a curator and they?ll reply with an answer. For questions on piracy I would go to Robert "Roy" Ritchie who is the head of the Research Division. We call him the "Pirate King" ;-) Also you can ask me and if I have the time I will be glad to research it for you. I think you can reach him through the website.

Also you can peruse the art collections and the gardens. There has been a great Elizabeth I exhibition going on here with attending lectures and events incluiding a Elizabethan festival with re-enactors (court & miltary) that was a great success.

Too bad you're all the way in LA (not L.A. ;-)) and can't come over to see it. I'd put a pass or two aside for you mon Capt.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Well, Red Maria, that sounds might decent for an indecent soul!

Yes, I am in LA, not L.A. But it sounds as though much info can be gained nonetheless via your computer site cites.

Capt. William

<_<

For questions on piracy I would go to Robert "Roy" Ritchie who is the head of the Research Division. We call him the "Pirate King" ;-)

Now, if you lads and lasses aren't familiar with the name of Red Maria's "Pirate King", you should be.

Robert C. Ritchie is the author of "Captain Kidd and the War against the Pirates", 1986. He's also been seen as a "talking head" on some of the recent pirate documentaries seen on A&E, Discovery, etc.

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

"Cargo Acquisition Coordinator"

--Jamaica Rose

Find No Quarter Given