Creating the 1720 Careening Camp

Captain Jim

Fine idea. I flipped through the links and most are "Krewe" with a "K" indicating that they are more than likely charitable organizations the raise money for good causes and ride around on floats, a particularly Southern activity. Lots of beads and things. Yet from among them might rise individuals that could be turned to the dark side. (Insert evil laugh here)

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, if y'all could hold off on contacting other groups for the moment. I'm 90% finished creating an additional web page specifically for PiP on my Fort Taylor.org web site. The page will feature a description of the event, some photos, and pertinent information for vendors wishing to sign up. It will also have the reenactor sign up form. I'll be asking Hurricane to redirect all sign-up info from the main PiP web site to this page (when it goes "live") and remove all sign-up info from the main PiP web site. That way I can make necessary changes right fast without having to bother Hurricane. I expect to have the page finished by this Sunday.

Harry

Fort Taylor.org

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

Speaking of recruiting, we need two (or more) stout souls to do weapons demonstrations. I don't think we want to go the "fight circle" route (open for discussion) but more of a lecture/demo with a finale of full-speed (or nearly) fighting.

I can do the flintlock demo if you want. I have done demos and instructional things at other events. Usually I do it "in character"

>>>>> Cascabel

Well, I certainly hope the fort gets its much needed face lift. Then maybe we can set up inside there some day. Maybe taking the whole encampment outside will work? If all the vendors are outside and the encampment is inside, I don't thinjk there will be much traffic inside. (or vise a versa) Just reserve the inside for the pub.

Yes I brought down a whoole bunch of pyrates for this year. Although for next year I'm going to let everyone go on their own. It was just to much work, but never fear I will recruit as many as I can to come. (Besides were else are they going to wear such snazzy cothing :lol: )

As for the camp I certainly want to come and hopfully bring the parents along. They currently do 1850's, so the 1700's will be a nice change of pace for them.

To Harry, I think I remember seeing that there was campers and tents set up away from the fort? or am I dreaming? Maybe some campsites could be made for those not involed with the encampment but participating?

We had the best intent to try and make this year's event, but.... the amount of sailing time, weather, and insurance covenants made it pretty tough..We would like to add a little pizazz,( ROYALISTE generally comes with 'pizazz') but we couldn't make it this year, perhaps in '07, as we'll be still in the Atlantic...I dunno what kind of insurance, if any, that WOLF or any other local boats may carry, but ours strictly prohibits us south of Atlantic City before Nov. 15. As for the weather, we had to lay over for gales in NJ and NC, each for several days. That put us a wee bit north in Charleston by the middle of Nov. Our last northern event this year was in Long Island, and a bang up pirate fest it was,so...We're already invited next year,so that puts us in NYC again at mid October.....with purrrrfect weather, we might pull it off, but the gales were there this year....ya just never know, but that's still four weeks to make the Keys from NYC; a tuff order, mates....Real Time Sailin' for Real Time Pirates..... :)

:lol:

Regarding "modern day" camping: An area will be set aside for folks with RVs and modern day camping tents. It'll be along the shipping channel side of the park where one will have an unobstructed view of sunsets! We don't have any hook-ups because we're a day-use park. And, we don't have hot showers, but the showers near the beach area in the picnic spots will be available. Anyone who wants to camp in that fashion will be taken care of!

Royaliste: If you even think you'll be able to make it down this way for '07, let me know as soon as possible! We may be able to find a berth for the vessel unless the preference is to throw a line in a sheltered area in the harbor.

Harry

Fort Taylor.org

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

I was looking for something else and found this.... (It's after our period tho...)

Washing clothes as sea was not easy; in the absence of soap "chamberlye" (urine) was used as a detergent, and the clothes rinsed in fresh water if there were enough available.

Nah.... maybe not...... B)

Gee, Patrick, I was with you after 5 days. Maybe a urine rinse isn't a bad idea..

I jest.

Really.

Left yourself open fer a broadside ye did.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Speaking of recruiting, we need two (or more) stout souls to do weapons demonstrations. I don't think we want to go the "fight circle" route (open for discussion) but more of a lecture/demo with a finale of full-speed (or nearly) fighting.

I can do the flintlock demo if you want. I have done demos and instructional things at other events. Usually I do it "in character"

>>>>> Cascabel

Thanks, Cascabel. You would certainly be first choice but you seem to have so many other things going on during the event. However, a compromise: do as many as you feel comfortable with and train some others to spell you when you can't be there. While there are a lot of BP literate souls lurking about, not many have worked up a "curriculum" or a spiel to give to the public.

3ff66f1f.jpg

I can do the flintlock demo if you want. I have done demos and instructional things at other events.

Cascabel does a realy good weapons demo... I saw it when he was at Ojai...

It's not just "I'm going to fire off a gun..." but an entire presentation about weapons and Pyracy.

If it can be scheduled for PiP, that would be great....... :huh:

OK then, for the Pyrate camp we do a laundry set-up where Pyrates can go and relieve themselves in the name of hygiene.

So who is going to do the scrubbing?

In all seriousness, how about some yellow-dyed frothy water and we can tell the patrons what it "actually" is? Just don't get it confused with the punch-bowl.

3ff66f1f.jpg

GitB

WOW!

GREAT ideas! Love the library thing and the Old Folks home... Is your group 501©?

Are there any Pirate groups local (like withing 50 miles) of the site?

Greg

No we're not a 501c, we're a group of performers, but we have a very strong public service calling. We do a lot of service events because of the sheer joy of taking part!

There's nothing like making folks smile....so for charity events we go gratis..

Even when we're 'paid performers' we generally only take enough to pay our expenses... If we do this for too much pay, it becomes like work :)

That's also how we draw quality people in to do this, they don't expect anything in return, just the love of being together, performing, and bringing a smile to faces...as a matter of fact a half dozen of them are playing music behind me right now :)

I am not sure which groups are down that way... we're about 7 hours away, but it's worth the drive :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Royaliste: If you even think you'll be able to make it down this way for '07, let me know as soon as possible! We may be able to find a berth for the vessel unless the preference is to throw a line in a sheltered area in the harbor.

Harry

Fort Taylor.org

Harry, ROYALISTE will be in the area for '07, so perhaps we should talk about this. Victor Suthren has been trying to aim us that way, so we should look at all the logistics. we prefer a berth, as it's qite hard to deal with the public interest on the hook.....

:lol:

HEY! Why not just kill two birds eh? Use the Royaliste for the Careeneing Camp! ;)

(here that thump noise? Yep; it was the insurance agent throwing the policy in the bin!)

I know I know, but SOMEBODY has to be the smart-arse hereabout... and I'm soooo good at it! ;)

Bo

Perfect! We can truck the Royaliste in, drop it on the hard over near the rocks and set up the careening camp there!

Just kidding. I'd rather sail and tell folks about the fictitious ship "around that thar point."

3ff66f1f.jpg

sounds like the plans are coming together ....what would the thought be a simple reference (more like guidelines rather than rules)booklet of patterns and accoutrements that we coulld print off and send to those who would want to come and re-enact with us and have available for sale on site for those who attend .....i'm willing to work it up with perhaps some help from say.............................. KASS!!! and GREG!!! and a few others!!!sort of on the lines of the sketchbook series... ;);):blink: :)

I think once we have some of the basic concepts for the careening camp figured out, we are going to post (and link) a bunch of "How-to" articles... So there would be some info in Capt. Twill, and other post in Plunder... that would all be cross-linked from here for reference... Such things as discussions about how to set-up a tarp shelter, and make an oil-cloth ground sheet, also what clothing works (and not to worry about a jacket, it's too hot at PiP to bother wearing one :unsure: ) They would be posted in the right place, but there will be links from here to where they are posted.... This way, it help us get everything together for PiP, but it also includes the other members of the Pub.

We don't want to wait untill the last minute to get everything together, but space the "how-tos" through out the rest of the year. That way more people can get thier clothing and camp gear together in plenty of time...

A fun aside: We were walking down Deval St, and people would ask about how we had meet... they were kind of amazed that we all meet on the internet, and then attended PiP as a group.... "ain't th' Pub great...." :unsure:

(and not to worry about a jacket, it's too hot at PiP to bother wearing one :unsure: )

I advise caution and preparedness on clothing. About three years back, it stayed so cold during PiP that I had on everything I owned.

Waistcoat, coat, and watchcoat were needed to stay comfortable, even during the day. Usually it is very warm, but things can change, and you will be a long way from home. It can also get cold out on the ships after the sun goes down.

>>>>> Cascabel

I agree with Cascabel. You can always strip down but its very hard to lay on extra clothing when you don't have any. While the last two years have been sweltering, you never know. And Florida cold in different in that it is cold and humid at the same time, a damp wind that cuts right through. Fifty degrees, 90% humidity and a 15 mph wind feels like the arctic.

That said, I live in Florida and I owned my coat for two years before I got to actually wear it in public. The pics on Rusty's site showing us wearing our coats on Duval street don't show that we were all sweating our donkeys off. Oh, but hell, we looked good.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Dunno if'n this will help, but if yer usin the boiled linseed oil for oil-cloth, there's a series of videos put out by Mark Baker (of longhunter fame) that has an excellent step by step process. It is on the first tape in the series. Most of the well known sutlers offer them for sale. (Panther Primitives-Track of the Wolf- et al) He even goes into detail about using natural and period methods of adding colors as dye agents.

Bo