How to care for my cutlass?

Bilgemunky

I was given a cutlass for my birthday a while back, but it's gradually rusting up on me. I've spent a good chunk of my life caring for knives of one sort or another, but I've never had a carbon steel knife rust up like the handguard of my cutlass.

Any ideas how I can get rid of the rust without scratching up the surface of my sword? And how I can better care for it in the future?

mrl1863.jpg

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Aye Ladd,

Weeell... iffn' is 'as rusted up enough ta be pitted... too late...

So wot ye need ta doe then is get some emry cloth/paper, 800 grit or better, some light oil, like gun cleanin' oil, an' start polishin'..... wipe it down e'ery so often ta check yer progress.... then once ye get it back ta ship shape, spit n' polish... keep it oiled... wipe it down wi' an oil cloth e'ery so often... inspect it e'er so often... etc....

I commonly use steel wool ta get minor bits o' th' beginnin' o' rust offn' my steel bits, covered wi' oil o'course...

I dunno, wot kinda pyrate dunna keep 'is weapons ship shape... :lol:

:lol::P:P:lol:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I dunno, wot kinda pyrate dunna keep 'is weapons ship shape... 

Before you get too hard on me, m'swords only in the very early stages of rust - I'm doing my best to nip it in the bud.

Thanks for the advice!

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Aye Ladd,

Nay, just a bit o' a poke.... not gonna be too hard on yer just yet.... :lol:

Type o' oil ta use... I usually use gun oil, wot ye find in a gun cleanin' kit, not th' solvent mind ye, the lubricatin' oil...

Or ye can get th' fancy stuff made just fer BP weaponry... or one o' me favorites which I can nay find at th' moment "Antique Gun Oil"...

All works well, why ye can even use linseed oil... light motor oil too or as a last resort, wd-40 :lol:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Too many years of workin' fer a swordsmith ta be passin' this one up.

If'n ye cutlass be o' high carbon steel (like the pretty one in the photo ye gots there), after ye gets the surface rust

BAD PIRATE, NO PLUNDER

that ye be dealin' with all cleaned up I suggests tha ye use a heavy coating of a good penetrating oil or Mystery Oil. Spray it on as opposed to wiping it on, if you can, once a day for three days and then wipe the residual off. After it "drys" to the touch, a good wax like Renaissance wax will keep it in excellent shape. I have done that with all of my high carbon weapons for years and I only have had to use the fleece of the cast iron sheep but rarely to banish the demon Oxide.

The best care you can give it is to use it regular like!

Evil Tiny

I'm not really evil...oh wait...yes I am!

Discipline is on the severe side of harsh, and I likes it that way.

Something I have done , that was recommended by the guy who built my swords. If they are going to be sitting around a while, coat them with a heavy wax, and leave them. Then you just wipe it off when your ready to bring them out. mind you now, it might take a bit of rubbing to get the wax off. depends on how long you leave it on.. Also, Dorian is right too. A fine wipe of gun oil will help keep them very shiny as well as protect them from rust.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been polishing my cutlass' blade with furniture wax (following the directions on the container). Real furniture wax, mind you, not wax-alternatives (nor car wax). This was recommended to me by the folks who made it. Also, I don't keep it in the scabbard unless I'm wearing it.

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

• 1 month later...

Arr!

If yer sword be rusting, then wot Oi says is let the bugger rust! How many pirates on board a damp, leaky sailing vessel could keep any steel totaly free from rust anyway. Their blades would be kept fairly clean by keeping them in an oiled scabbard. but as for the hilts they would usually be painted or russeted (a type of controlled rusting). Oi find the best way to do this is not to buff the rust off, but just rub oil into it, you will end up with a nice brown finish which is quit resistant to further rusting.

Cap'n Redbeard

P.U.B.C.A.T.

Piratical Union of Buccaneers Corsairs and Associated Trades

I clean my swords like so:

WD40

Green Scrubbie thing fer yer dishes (that be it's technical term)

Apply wd40, scrub with scrubbie thing. scrub, duh. Wipe off with a clean towel (one ye don't mind ruinin'), but I use old white socks.

Then use the sandpaper like the others recommend, only if ye wants to and the wd40 and scrubbie don't work.

Then I apply gun oil with an old, white sock (different from the one used above).

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Ifinya can't find Marvel Mystery Oil in your area use 3 in 1. By the by, the worst thing you can do is touch you steel within yur nasty bare hands. Skin acid corodes faster than almost anything else. So ifinya handle the steal. Wipe it off.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

What I did to the guard and pommel of my M.R. Dutch cutass was to fire blue it. It looks great.

Regarding the blade, do not keep it in the leather sheath. That allows the moister from the leather to play with the blade

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

I was surprised when Vaseline was advised by the swordsmith in Toledo from whom I purchased several blades over the years. Seeing it mentioned here again just lends more credence to it.

I had a blade that had to be put in storage for several years on the heels of an unexpected move. When I finally recovered it, it had the beginnings of rust. I was heartbroken. But I did manage to buff it out with steel wool and, with the vaseline, haven't had a problem since.

(It's not slathered in it, mind...just a light coating.)

• 6 years later...

i agree with all of the above...personally all ive everdone is hit it with a little 000 steel wool and oil IF any rust develops.which is rare.i ususlly use whatever oil is at hand.

Here at metal wackers forge.....um....well... we wack metal.

http://www.colonialseaport.org/

http://www.creweofthearchangel.com/

http://www.blackbeardscrew.org/