Smaller pistol blunderbuss

Commodore Swab

Well this week I decided to work on something a bit different, a smaller pistol. This one is much lighter and shorter than what you might typically find. It is a boxlock flint (the lock is in the middle instead of being a plate screwed in on the side) so it a little newer than the GAOP but still old. The barrel is bronze and it is a flared blunderbuss. The more I look and feel this piece the more it just fits a gentleman as a conceled weapon or a lady. I will try to get some pictures when I can.

Swab

id.jpg

Oh, I so want to see the photos. I always love what you come up with, sir. A craftsman and a creative you are, all in one. My kind of guy (in a not hitting on sort of way). :o

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I was thinking this was a nice sized piece holding it in my hand, of course I didn't think my french dragoon was that big (yes it is big). I laid the two down next to each other tonight . . . WOW the dragoon is like 4 times larger. Seeing them next to each other really made the difference visible. Now Im thinking how sweet it would be to have 2 of these each stuffed under the coat one on each side (since the lock is in the middle they can be used right or left hand) where they could be drawn together. Ohh its fun to dream . . .

id.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I do my own work, the barrel was an old prop shaft that has been turned and then welded with bronze where it needed to be built up a little. The belt hook was also welded on so it is all one seamless piece. The first several shots out the barrel (small charge 30 grains loose with no wadding) blew out some near perfect smoke rings, very cool.

id.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As an update the boxlocks are coming along nicely I have the second one just about finished and sold. The other 2 are still available for anybody wishing to put down a deposit. I cut out the stock for my double barrel and ordered the locks last week, it was difficult finding a piece of wood for the stock as it needed to be quite wide and most lumber shops don't keep that kind of wood in stock. However. the Viceroy was able to help me out and had a rough cut piece of Women's Tongue (East Indian Walnut) that I was able to acquire. Lucky for me this wood will have enough left over for a few other pieces including a small grenade launcher (small enough to lob golf balls) for some lucky person as well as a blunderbuss large enough to require a swivel yoke which I plan on using original lock parts on.

id.jpg

Pictures of? There are several pictures earlier in the posting I don't have any of the double barrel although there were many at PiP lucky enough to see the barrels and how it is coming along. I also restarted work on the baby grenade launcher (scaled down to fire a golf ball) as the wood was wide enough for the barrel. I will say this wood although being lighter in color is a very strong hard wood and works very nicely so far for the stocks.

id.jpg

Pictures of the double barrel, I have been wondering about what a DB blunderbuss would look like.

Do you bore out the barrels yourself or start with a tube? Beautiful work either way.

Edited by Privateer Armoury

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

Ben Potter, Bladesmith Privateer Armoury Going Afloat Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I seemed to remember seeing a double barrel blunderbuss in POTC at one time but I have looked and looked for it with no luck. Today I found an original double barrel bronze blunderbuss and the barrels are about an inch or so longer than mine and a hair larger. Turns out that this blunderbuss was used as inspiration and template for the one used in the film (I guess I did see it somewhere). The original also has a spring bayonet on the top. mine will differ in that there will be no spring bayonet, the stock will be reduced down to more of a knee pistol size and the locks will be a bit older. It was wonderful not only to find an original but also one that is so close to what I was building for fun.

id.jpg