Muskets, Carbines, and Blunderbusses

Cap'n Black Jack

I have been looking around at muskets, carbines, and blunderbusses. A lot of what I have seen are from later periods, mostly rev War. Does anyone know where to get GAoP period pieces? OR What is acceptable? My problem is I am a stickler for authenticity. I wouldn't be able to handle it if I got a 1777 musket while playing a 1709 pirate. Thanks.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

I decided not to compromise on my musket, and a healthy tax refund made possible a purchase normally outside my usual price range. I bought a Leonard Day musket advertised on Track of the Wolf. It is a thing of beauty, a circa 1670 Dutch doglock, and I have never seen anything like it at an event. Yes, it was very pricy, but there is a satisfaction that can't be beat.

And now, being married, I will never have such a chance again!

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

And now, being married, I will never have such a chance again!

I feel your pain, just got married and we bout an old, old house...but its something I need. I've convinced the wife I can hunt with it and it will save us money on food! Thanks.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

Callinish or Cascabel, What is your opinion on the India made firearms. I too am looking. The prices you quoted are savable in a reasonable amount of time.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

They are a basic gun and many need to fine tuned or even reworked a bit ...but if you're looking to spend the minimum to get a gun these are the best bet in town ...i have sold plenty over the years and like patrick and o'keefe and others they reworked them into some fine shooters ....are they same quality as handmade customs? NO! they are hand forged replicas plain and simple. I check and proof fire every gun I sell and I also do custom work as well but most folks would rather plop down $300 than $2500 for a handbuilt handcarved and inlaid pistol that is one of a kind it's like buying a hyundai or a lamborghini

I have the loyalist arms doglock pistol and love it. It sparks well, makes a loud bang, and hits a close target. All in a period correct pistol. I also have a Middlesex Village blunderbuss. Definitely a Hyundai, but I have stipped off the factory finish, removed a lot of stock from the wrist, browned the metal parts and gave a dark stain with lots of boiled linseed oil rubbed into the stock. Looks great, has character and, to my understanding, period appropriate. I bought the Loyalist from their shop (can't remember the price) and the blunderbuss from a friend for $175.00.

Because I like staying married, I do not see myself getting a custom period pistol at this time.

Your servant

Sebastian

Did my own research...the arms at Military Heritage need to be modified to fire. I'm not one to me messing around with that. Thus I have found another item which I like, English Lock "Fishtail" Musket from Middlesex Village Trading Co. After reading some history on the piece and finding that they found their way in to the hands of GAoP pirates I was pleased If anyone has anything else on this please do tell.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

FWIW: I have the Middlesex New England "Cookson" fowling piece with doglock.

I'll second what's been said about these import guns and add that they can be quite improved with but a little work.

The locks benefit greatly from some polishing and tuning, and the first thing I'd do is strip and refinish the stock.

They're a good project, if your the handy sort.

Pete at MSVTC and Blair at Loyalist are both stand up guys. I know Pete backs his guns, even offering lifetime frizzen rehardening.

I've not bought a firearm from Loyalist nor anything from Military Heritage, so I'll keep silent there.

Cascabel & Callenish: do I understand correctly, from what I've read here and in other threads, that you offer import gun tuning and customizing?

Last but not least, you can waste away an afternoon reading about import guns over at The Traditional Muzzleloading Forum.

I'm looking at the Military Dog Lock Musket from Military Heritage. It looks good, its about the right time period, the price isn't so bad. I just don't know anyone who has bought from the. Any comments on their stuff?

Check out John Buck's website. I own several of his pieces and they have never failed to impress me with their durability.

http://www.musketmart.com/index.html

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

I've never heard anything but awesome reports of John Buck's work... Another person who seems to do good work (from what I hear) that is reasonable (more pricey than India imports, but not drastically so) is Leonard Day (no web site that I am aware of). I think Leonard Day runs ads regularly in "Smoke and Fire News", and his ads have a contact phone number (he still does business the old fashioned way so I hear).

Failing that, there are kit guns (you buy the parts, do some finishing work, and put them together). Sitting Fox and Early Rustic Arms are two names I hear a lot about for a good balance of reasonable prices and reasonable quality.

Michael_banner.jpg

I'm looking at the Military Dog Lock Musket from Military Heritage. It looks good, its about the right time period, the price isn't so bad. I just don't know anyone who has bought from the. Any comments on their stuff?

Check out John Buck's website. I own several of his pieces and they have never failed to impress me with their durability.

I had the good fortune of meeting Mr.Buck and having a look at his selection, i was very pleased with what i saw(though unhappy about my lack of funds). The most common thing iv heard, is that his arms are quite good. Speaking of good and not, with the india imports, about how much do people generally do to make them better? Im pretty sure my first gun will be an import, and im wondering quite a bit about what ill need to do with it....

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Well, I own three India made guns now...

1st one - Doglock Musket from Middlesex Village Trading Company - Was fussy until I re-hardened the frizzen, and I feel I still need to stone down the mainspring, and sear s[pring, and likely the frizzen spring as well.

2nd one - English Horse Pistol from Callenish Gunner. I think Callenish gets these from the same soure as Middlesex, but this particular pistol has been the most reliable flintlock I have ever owned. It has required NO tuning, and the only time it misfired was because the flint had started to badly chip. Said flint had been in heavyuse for about 5 or 6 months when this started to happen.

3rd one - Another english Horse Pistol, bought used, but hardly fired. I believe the original owner got it from Middlesex or perhaps Loyalist Arms. This one need some inletting behind the lock mechanism, as the sear is not engaging correctly when the lock plate is screwed down tightly. Other than that, this pistol seems to want to be as reliable as it's almost twin above.

I am in the process of buying a forth Indian musket (which will likely be my last), we'll see how it is. But after that I will begin the slow process of saving up for a custom musket from a skilled artisan (a musket I will likely drop just under 2k on, but will likely be a year or more away)

Michael_banner.jpg

I had the good fortune of meeting Mr.Buck and having a look at his selection, i was very pleased with what i saw(though unhappy about my lack of funds). The most common thing iv heard, is that his arms are quite good. Speaking of good and not, with the india imports, about how much do people generally do to make them better? Im pretty sure my first gun will be an import, and im wondering quite a bit about what ill need to do with it....

I have a couple of John Buck guns. Very well made. He does a lot of work for historic sites and movies, also.

Mark

Strangely,mike, i think i was the one that pulled the trigger on that one misfire......how ironic....lol...i dare say i need to learn morte about guns and all before i buy one....i only hope it doesnt need TOO much work done to it...*sigh

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Strangely,mike, i think i was the one that pulled the trigger on that one misfire......how ironic....lol...i dare say i need to learn morte about guns and all before i buy one....i only hope it doesnt need TOO much work done to it...*sigh

Nah, Big Red also said that it misfired on him as well. I should have changed the flint in the pistol before the event instead of after.

On closer investigation today, I have learned that the issue with the other English Horse Pistol was not an inletting issue, but the sear spring has lost it's springiness.... So I am going to have a friend who is a metal worker make me a new spring (it is a very simple small spring). Unfortunately I will not be abl to get any of said metal working friends time for some weeks, so while I was hoping to have said pistol out for an event or two this summer, it is going to have to wait until early autumn... :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

Cascabel & Callenish: do I understand correctly, from what I've read here and in other threads, that you offer import gun tuning and customizing?

I can indeed repair, tune, or customize any of them. Many times, however, people find that the cost of good gunsmithing is more than they are willing to pay. The India made guns can be subject to a whole host of issues, some of which are easy to put right, and some of which are not, and are quite time consuming. To be fair, the other point I should add is that sometimes you get a good one that needs no attention at all. If I were in the market for an India-made gun, I would buy only from a dealer like our own Callenish Gunner who guarantees functionality.

The only way I could give someone a price for repairs would be to actually have the gun in hand and evaluate it myself. I have had guns sent to me with the owner insisting that the frizzen needed hardening, when in fact that was not the problem at all. In one memorable instance, it was simply the owner not knowing what he was doing and was blaming the gun for his lack of knowledge. Sometimes there are multiple mechanical issues to be dealt with, which when combined with incorrect procedure leads to unreliability.

>>>>> Cascabel

Did I mention I intend to hunt with this? I than ye all for you advice and think I have and answer to to my question. Feel free to continue commenting.

I can only speak on MTV myself, I like their products however as you have heard the finish on the furniture has something to be desired, aside from that I like their weapons. Also they do stand by their products. we recently sent a lock to be worked on and they got it back to us asap. as far as the finish goes, you built the Queen Anne you have so finding your way around dismantling it should be a snap.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget their accessories, pick & whisk etc, make your own sling though

I have all that, I'm just trying to find musket balls for a .75 cal. musket! That seems to be the trick at the moment. Any ideas? We're going to the gun club on the 12th and I need to be able to shoot.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif