points and choreography

RustyNell

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

starting with foot work is great, I think its often too easily overlooked when people are learning to wield weapons. First and foremost you learn to have good spatial instincts dancing around one another. Its important to do that safely before even swinging a free hand. Hey I've seen people bump into each other and get hurt. Good start to your site. Thanks for sharing it.

I wish Dead-eye were in this century and could contribute to this discussion. He really has some brilliant teaching techniques. I only wish we were all closer and could get together regularly.

I'm grateful for the pub because its great that we've started talking about this. I'm sure over the next year we'll start to move towards some kind of common technique.

I'm inspired! I am definitely going to go work on my technique for a bit tonight, run my points with the scabbard on for a bit - the extra weight should help build those muscles a little faster I'm way out of shape.

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

that way...one could have a fight 'tween a boarding pike and a cutlass....a hand axe and a butt end of a longgun....fryin pan and a braodsword....and cheecky with her spoon and silkie with her fryin pan and a fire poker could reasonabley defend the common agaisnt a maurading mass of drunkin pyrates with a myriad of weapons.....

damn....i'm gittin all excited..... :blink: ....wheres my sword.. ;) .....whowanna fight?!?!?!

Damn... me too!!! I am loving this....

I am especially excited because I have 2 different swords and axe and some other 'weapon of opportunity' ideas in my head and am glad to know they could all work together with the same techniques.

Ok so here are my questions for your Dogge.

1. Do you want to try to figure a way to give us the basics to work on on our own time (or at least be partially familiar with) before you come down and kick our arses for doing things wrong? If so, I would advise getting a move on :)

2. Do you still want to do a meet up in-person weekend?

3. Would you prefer doing a meet up at end of February or early March or sometime in the fall? If you are up for end of February beginning of March, I will get to work on sorting all the details out and setting up places for people to stay. I would also like all of us who are going to use Dogge's expertise to pay for his airfare to get here to do the training. (We'll take care of putting you up at our place and make sure you'll be well fed and have plenty of libations)

4. If we're doing this meet up thing, do we also want to extend to doing some of the museums and such...so say a 4 day weekend?

Let me know. I wanna get into a fight with someone ;) You also still owe me a gun butt to the back if I recall :D

Edited by Goddess in the Bodice

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

though i whole hardily agree with ya on the importance of footework.....i find it far more...well safer to git the newbie....standin still...on the balls of there feet perhaps...but not movin....until after the show profiectcy with the dangerous end first....hitting there target zone....blocking in their target zone.....once ya get the pair of them....with the sewquence agreed upon...then start them on the foot work....i find that if ya do it the other way round...they then dont pay attention to their sharpie!?!

because once ya hve em movin...witha sharpie....a whole new world opens up...they have to pay atention to where they are goin...where the other guy is goin...pay attention to where the crowd is....how close they are to each other...how close to the crowd....what comes next in the sequence....they have to be the eyes of the opponent behind them for obstacles....be led by the opponent for obstacles underfoot....breathe...say their lines...remember their lines....what comes next...what was that distraction....sun in my eyes.... :blink:

...all the time keeping the sharpie away from the opponents face.....

nah....i thnk foote work comes next...first get em hitting their zones first.

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

though i whole hardily agree with ya on the importance of footework.....i find it far more...well safer to git the newbie....standin still...on the balls of there feet perhaps...but not movin....until after the show profiectcy with the dangerous end first....hitting there target zone....blocking in their target zone.....once ya get the pair of them....with the sewquence agreed upon...then start them on the foot work....i find that if ya do it the other way round...they then dont pay attention to their sharpie!?!

because once ya hve em movin...witha sharpie....a whole new world opens up...they have to pay atention to where they are goin...where the other guy is goin...pay attention to where the crowd is....how close they are to each other...how close to the crowd....what comes next in the sequence....they have to be the eyes of the opponent behind them for obstacles....be led by the opponent for obstacles underfoot....breathe...say their lines...remember their lines....what comes next...what was that distraction....sun in my eyes.... :blink:

...all the time keeping the sharpie away from the opponents face.....

nah....i thnk foote work comes next...first get em hitting their zones first.

I agree when your talking weapons.

Don't you think its a good idea to have fighters do hand to hand before ever going to weapons though? At least then they can be a part of fights until they are safe enough to use a weapon.

I think people start to feel left out in the training period and I worry that people rush to progress too quickly and thats how they get hurt. If they can learn the basics of stage fighting first and learn how to make a fight LOOK like a fight they might feel more comfortable and have better control of their body by the time they pick up a weapon. Just my thought.

And to be honest I'm delaying my ability to use my sword.. that would mean I'm a long way away from fighting with steel, my conditioning is way off. I am willing to put it aside if it means in the long run I'm a more believable stage fighter.

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

You know ....I'll fight ya Dastardly .... ;):blink:

Bring it on :) Although, as is usual, Dogge ignores my list of questions for him and just responds to your post.... hmph..... :D

well it is MY thread and again yer in between me and a MAN.... en guard ....

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

You know ....I'll fight ya Dastardly .... ;);)

Bring it on :) Although, as is usual, Dogge ignores my list of questions for him and just responds to your post.... hmph..... :blink:

i'm not ignorrin ya....i am in the middle of tellin my 6 month pregnant wife why 2 girls want me to come back to florida for a long weekend...?!?!?

i think i am 'bout to git some real sword practice....ooof :D

well it is MY thread and again yer in between me and a MAN.... en guard ....

Well we gotta have something to fight about, don't we? :blink: It might as well be over a man!

parry..... dodge...... thrust

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

in stage...every style...rapier,broad sword, ...big ass piece of wood....would still use the same points of attack/block...the difference being on how one would weild the object (body placement and footwork) and the delivery....

Cheeky with her spoon and Silkie with her fryin pan and a fire poker could reasonabley defend the common agaisnt a maurading mass of drunkin pyrates with a myriad of weapons.....

damn....i'm gittin all excited..... :blink: ....wheres my sword.. :D .....whowanna fight?!?!?!

I truly need more "Kicking-Ass" practice time. Perhaps I'll have to see if I can't arrange a bit of practice time withl Mary Diamond...both for Bess and Lilly, really.

I would love to be able to 'attack and defend' without looking so stiff and staged.

Edited by Cheeky Actress

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

You know ....I'll fight ya Dastardly .... ;);)

Bring it on :) Although, as is usual, Dogge ignores my list of questions for him and just responds to your post.... hmph..... :blink:

i'm not ignorrin ya....i am in the middle of tellin my 6 month pregnant wife why 2 girls want me to come back to florida for a long weekend...?!?!?

i think i am 'bout to git some real sword practice....ooof :D

hahahaha well if she bests you, she is more then welcome to be our teacher!

Also, that is the reason I asked if you wanted to just do all video or whatnot.... I'm flexible, just let me know and we'll start to sort stuff out. Now that we have at least 3 crewes that would like to all be on the same page, I would love to strike on this. Besides, we need LOTS of practice time if we want to start working out real fights down the road..

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

in stage...every style...rapier,broad sword, ...big ass piece of wood....would still use the same points of attack/block...the difference being on how one would weild the object (body placement and footwork) and the delivery....

Cheeky with her spoon and Silkie with her fryin pan and a fire poker could reasonabley defend the common agaisnt a maurading mass of drunkin pyrates with a myriad of weapons.....

damn....i'm gittin all excited..... :blink: ....wheres my sword.. ;) .....whowanna fight?!?!?!

I truly need more "Kicking-Ass" practice time. Perhaps I'll have to see if I can't arrange a bit of practice time withl Mary Diamond...both for Bess and Lilly, really.

I would love to be able to 'attack and defend' without looking so stiff and staged.

video it....when ya watch it back...it really shows what ya need to do different....we truly are our worst critiques.....unless i am trainin ya...then i am... :D

I can see it now...

Captain Sterling orders the attack...Cheeky: " Damn it Sterling where's my boarding music" :blink: I can hear Sterling sigh from here.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

Also, that is the reason I asked if you wanted to just do all video or whatnot....

Diosa, the Archangel Crewe has 'some' rough video of Maddogge in action (sorry ladies...by action, I mean sword fighting...It ain't that kind of video ( :blink: bow...bow chicka bow bow...)!

Though it is rough, we have some of us being taught by Maddogge. We have always had the intension of putting a formal instruction video together...we are still in the 'planning stages'.

Perhaps we can do something this spring? Maddoge...your input?

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

damn it man...i'm too far away from anyone to show ya anything.....sourisses are some 4 hours away.....hmmmm

anyway......and the wife is lookin at me kinda mean like when i told my 2 year old daughter...here hold this sword for daddy...now defend yourself.....