Roll Call 2008

William Brand

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You basically show up in Key West with your gear and garb. There's a period encampment and a modern encampment and there are period garbed and movie-garbed pirates. Many of the people on this board go for the period look, but not all of them.

If you want to do the period thing, just hang around in here and (more particularly) in the Captain Twill forum and you'll get way more info than you ever dreamed existed. :lol:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

so how doesone officially sign up fer this grand adventure???

Just a note. If you're camping at the fort, there will be required pre-registration this year with a cut off date of Nov. 1. Harry doesn't want last minute campers as it creates problems in figuring out where everyone is to go.

If you're planning to stay at a hotel, then it's just a show up kind of thing like Mission says. My money is on staying on the grounds because lots of the fun happens after hours and it's tough to know when to leave... you just know you're going to miss something, even into the wee hours of the night.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Dutchman, Mission & Hurricane have it right but you may want to plan which camp. If you plan on camping with any of the camps listed at the start of this post post it in this thread and/or let the contact for that crew know your intentions. The following are also the people who would have any unposted info on the specific camps. For instance Port Royal is inside the fort. Mercury and Arch Angle are on the beach. 2006 & 2007 Sacred Heart was in the modern camping.

Contacts:

The Mercury (1720): = William "Redwake" Brand, Quartermaster (Period Correct 3 year to comply)

Archangel Crewe (1720): = Captain John Sterling (Period Correct 3 year to comply)

Port Royal (1681): = Hurricane, Govern Morgan

Callahan Crewe of the Sacred Heart: = Quartermaster Fayma Callahan

Please correct me if I have posted miss-information.

oh bother- choices, choices. seems to be fittin for either the mercury or squatting a corner with archangel (me thinks i should cozy up to capn sterling as i'm trying to get him into the blackbeard fest camp). I've been trolling for a while, I'll backtrack and figure out which might be more suitin for me unkept 1718 self- ya know thats the problem with blackbeard's crew. the only thing we know that is absolutely accurate is we die in 1718!!!

Dutchman, I'm sure we can fit Sterling and some of the Archangel crew into Hampton and if needs be lad when you come down to PIP I'll make sure you have a spot to camp now the real test will be if we can get some of the rest of Blackbeard's Crew down to KW ...You folks do a fyne presentation both of camp and the fighting and the social aspects of the events :lol::lol::lol:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::ph34r::lol:

I know we are planning on going, but the discussion in our house for the last 3 weeks is camping vs. staying in the Truman annex - vacation time is slim as is money next year (yay student loans!) so we don't know where we will be staying yet, or how long we will be in KW- but last year we were way too far away from the fort because the price was right... but we are looking to be more involved so staying closer is a must!

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

ah callinesh, you humble me with your kind words about our crew. We do indeed try to put on a good course and show some fine hospitality to boot. It was my pleasure to work with you and the blunderbus I purchased is doing just fine. Maybe we can get you set up in the daylight and put away dry this year?? (for those who have not seen callinesh's sales tent with the second story pool, tis an amazing engineering feat!!!)

I'm pushing hard to get archangel in the camp with us but alas we will not know till next month if we have more room. Regardless, i hope they will join us for the festivities despite accomodations.

The rest of the crew in K.W. ??? I mentioned it to Pern and he is toying with the idea. Grace is penciling in- but is PIP ready for her? Billy Flynn might depending on work. If QM thinks he's missing something he'll be ticked, so he may. Not sure about the rest.

I think you'll find that PiP is fast becoming the event to be at on the East Coast. The venue, virtually unlimited camping space, ability to use powder to one's heart's content and the fact that Key West itself is founded on piracy (after all, what were wreckers as well), is pretty hard to pass up.

Compared to 2006, 2007 was 200% better and certainly 2008 promises to be as much a leap ahead in the event.

From what I hear, camping on the beach alone is worth the journey. I know anyone in the Careening Camp will vouch for that. Talk about living the life of a pirate... the Mercury crewe deserves major kudos for their efforts and I know they're planning even more for their area.

We too, have a few new tricks up our sleeves in good old Port Royal and the buccaneer world of women, gamblin' drinkin' and loose spendin' or coin for the aforementioned items. Heard tell a major ruckus will be brewing the the Catt & Fiddle next year. Bound to be a bit o' blood shed with the Animal in town.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I have solved the festival history mystery! :rolleyes: The official beginning of The Pirates in Paradise Festival was in Marathon, FL in 1990. It was born from some folks at a Renfare that wanted a "Pirate Only" Festival. In 1998, the first week of the festival was in Marathon, with the second down in Key West. 1999 there was no festival, as the folks in Marathon decided to stop. In 2000, Julie and Finbar and crewe restarted it as Key West Pirates in Paradise Festival. We are going to be planning the "9th Annual Key West Pirates in Paradise Festival". So, officially, we are at 9 seasons for 2008. In 2009, it will be the 10th anniversary of the festival in it's current location. Perhaps we should have some sort of acknowledgement cooking for the 10th annual? Thoughts? :rolleyes:

Very cool history lesson, Fayma! Thanks for clearing up the history...

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Question - How was the weather overnight at the encampments? Quite pleasant, or was there a chill at any point? I'm not too worried about it (camped out in snow in CO), and am considering the option in case I'm short on funds for a room.

'

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Heard tell a major ruckus will be brewing the the Catt & Fiddle next year. Bound to be a bit o' blood shed with the Animal in town.

-- Hurricane

What???????!!!!!! Just wit me comin down, doesn' meen der be anymor blood letting dan usual, Captn' :ph34r: I meen wit Cyn dere de blood flo freely wit dem nails o hers. I be lookin forward to de womens and de fine rum :ph34r: altho I must admit dat it ben a while sin me ad de tast o blood on me toung......hmmmmm......feeling a bit ungry rites abou now........

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

How was the weather overnight at the encampments?

The last three years that I've campetd there the weather has been hot (with a little brease ... just enough to make it bearable)..... but you gots ter remember that I'm coming outta the California Mountains where the weather is going down to 40 or 30 degreas.... I've heard that they had a cold PiP... but they were all from Florida..... 50 fer them is cold......

SO with that in mind..... if you are use to 40 or 30 deegress... it's going to be hot..... if you are use to 70 or 80... it's may be cold.....

Kinda funny.... but a lot of us fly in from all over the U.S. .... so your millage may differ........

Aye Patrick still waiting to close me bedroom window ....it's been open for 4 years and last night it was 18 degrees Fahrenheit. .... the couple of times i have been to PIP in the past we camped and used just a lightweight blanket for the week ...the one night it did go down to at least 68 .... B)B)B)

clothing was more than warm enough although I noticed the young uns... all slept in sleeping baqs or with some sort of quilt but they slept outside in the open... I found the tents hot even with both doors open... only the night it rained did I roll up in a cloak and I am usually cold compared to most.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

clothing was more than warm enough although I noticed the young uns... all slept in sleeping baqs or with some sort of quilt but they slept outside in the open... I found the tents hot even with both doors open... only the night it rained did I roll up in a cloak and I am usually cold compared to most.

it was a little toasty and humid. I usually am cocooned in a blanket, but barely made use of a sheet in the fort.....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Question - How was the weather overnight at the encampments?  Quite pleasant, or was there a chill at any point?  I'm not too worried about it (camped out in snow in CO), and am considering the option in case I'm short on funds for a room.

'

How about this:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_4iEj8EzENO0/R19d6c...IMAG0119x25.JPG

IMAG0119x25.JPG

I used a fleece sleeping bag and a light blanket, never a problem.

...why on earth are you camping in Colorado at this time of year? Crazy pirate.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Having lived in Colorado most of my life, camped in all weather, this is nothing to fear! B) You will be most comfortable with a light blanket as needed (but mostly not). The night breeze may make it a plus to have the blanket, but I have only needed a small one a couple of the nights in 2 years. The weather has been very cooperative to say the least! B)

The Matanzas Marauders plan to attend and camp inside the fort again in 08

Rusty Nell

Cannibal Chrispy

Capt'n Cutter

Jaded Jetty

we may have additional crew,

we'll know as we get a little further into the year:

Devious Dave

Looting Lori

Lusty Lil

Pillaging Pearl

Violent Violet Vane and

Dirty Dominique

Marauding Mike

I wouldn't miss seeing you all for the world, and after all the stories we've shared everyone we know wants to get on board in 08. It's just a matter of how many people we can fit in the van with all the gear.

Who knows by then we may be bringing the ship down.

CAN"T WAIT!!

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce