Port Royal Exhibit

hurricane

If you are in the area of Miami, either going on a cruise or live anywhere in Florida, I highly recommend a visit to the Historical Museum of Southern Florida. The exhibit is there through June 2.

The event was even better than imagined. The display of artifacts had many new things we've never been able to see (such as the Chinese imported items), the watch that stopped at the time of the earthquake and period maps made just before and after the earthquake. I ended up becoming a temporary docent for a bunch of people, telling them about Port Royal then and now. Diosa shot over 100 photos of the artifacts, maps and photos and Sheila took many more. If you're going to PyrateCon, these will be part of my presentation there.

Plus, the permanent exhibits upstairs had a 1715 doglock, some great treasure from the Atocha, two 16 pounders, some smaller cannons and shot and a great piece of Caribbean fortifications. Really good stuff there too.

If you have any time at all, go see it. And it's free on Saturdays...

http://hmsf.org/exhibitions-current-port-royal.htm

The link above has a fairly good online virtual museum as well on the subject.

Here's a typical Port Royal merchant building pre-earthquake...

cox-inn-m.jpg

And here's an import item from China, the Lion of Fo, which was an incense burner.

lion-t.jpg

A pewter chamber pot crushed during the earthquake.

--chamber-pot-t.jpg

Really great stuff that you can usually only see during a trip that must take you to Spanish Town, Kingston and Port Royal when on the island, all in one place here.

== Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com