A Period Fencing Loss

SilasTalbot

For all those pyratical students of period swordplay who turned at some point to the very knowledgeable Patri Pugliese to purchase a hard-to-find manual - it is my sad duty to report that the good Mr. Pugliese finally lost his battle with liver cancer yesterday, Feb. 11.

For anyone who never had an opportunity to deal with Patri or meet him in person, he was exactly what you would imagine him to be based on his name (and yes, it was his real name): delightfully unique, a distinctive gentleman, and seemingly visiting from another time period. In his book "The Secret History of the Sword" J. Christoph Amberger called Patri "an institution among sword enthusiasts" and that was no exagerration.

He will be sorely missed.

I had the honor of having dinner with him one evening out in Berkeley, Calif. We spent over 90 minutes discussing fencing theory and finally took it outside to a parking lot where he had epee's in the trunk of his car. If That doesn't get the attention of the local police, nothing will....

A real scholar and gentleman.....

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."