Painting Undead Pirate Model Clothing

Caraccioli

Ok, I'm putting together this big diorama using three of the old 70's POTC skeleton models. The diorama will include Dead Man's Raft, Fate of the Mutineers and Dead Men Tell No Tales (repositioned to be holding a spyglass looking at a brass mermaid I'm hoping to have a girl I met recently make for me.) They're all going to be setting on a piece of glass painted greyish-blue to represent water which will be sitting on a brown plank shelf in my pirate-themed living room.

Now, the question is...what color should I make the clothing? Bright cheesy Disney colors? Or more earthy POTC movie colors? Any particular suggestions? (Any particular model paints?) Each skeleton is wearing two pieces of ragged clothing (except the one in the wood box in Dead Man's Raft, and the one sinking in the muck in Fate of the Mutineers, neither of whose lower halves exist at all.)

I'm almost set on making the captain with the spy glass have on either a dark red or dark blue coat with black or dark brown pants. The rest of them...well, I'm fishing (heh) for ideas.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I'd go for darker tones, but bold, like burnt sienna, bluish red, dark green or purple. Having colors but having them toned down to represent the old worn clothing that are all the undead pirates have to wear.

I'm tempted to head to PoTC tomorrow just to see what the color palette is. I know that the Auctioneer has some pretty bright pants on these days.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

If the clothin' be ratty with any sort of molded in texture then it be callin' fer a dry brush paint job. Most figure modelers be usin' water based acrylics. The craft store stuff be fine. I recommends stoppin' in at Hanksters Hobbytalk BB. It was the home base fer a few hunerd Polar Lights fans who was the cream o the cream fer figure modeling be it plastic, vinyl, or resin.

Ya did check the price 'o those kits on today's market diddincha?

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

Ya did check the price 'o those kits on today's market diddincha?

Oh, I already own them. I've owned some of them since they came out. :blink:

Thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning towards the pallet that Captain Sophia suggests. The ride, as I recall, on the skeletons tends towards dark and bland colors.

avatar_potcride.jpgavatar%20skeleton%20chess2.jpg

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Back when I had time to paint, I had quite a collection of paints from different companies. Citadel paints I found to be pretty good. And for undead, you'll like their selection of colors. Hope this url works... ;)

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefr...&GameNav=300810

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.