Iron Bess

Sorry folks... :lol:

Beware! Pirates have been sighted in the Rivers of America surrounding

Tom Sawyer Island! They have been drawn from all over the world by

mysterious rumors of buried treasure.

To buttress the island's defenses against a pirate invasion, Tom Sawyer

Island will be closed starting February 5. When the island reopens on

May 25, 2007, expect thrilling new adventures and ample opportunity for

scurvy pirate recruits to hunt for hidden treasure.

:lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I have mixed feelings on this. I of course love Pirates, but I also like Tom Sawyer's Island as is. And do you realize a lot of kids of today do not even know who Tom Sawyer is? Do you how sad that is? I just don't know why Disney can't leave the island alone. It's already bad enough they messed with the ride. Luckily it was subtle changes, but changes none the less. :lol:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Well.... to their way of think, the boys were out looking for Pirates when they came across Injun Joes cave....

They will just expand on that.

Yeah, right. :blink:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Well.... to their way of think, the boys were out looking for Pirates when they came across Injun Joes cave....

Yeah, right. ;)

In this PC world I thinks they be lookin' ta distance themselves from stereotypes liken "Injun" Joe and uhh ...Mr Jim. The dert over Sam C be writhin' as classical literature takes another beatin' :blink:

Speakin' of old memories I distinctly remembers seein' model airplanes flyin' in a caged circle an ridin' the tallship Columbia around TS island. The cage be long gone. Does the Columbia still resides there?

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

Yeah, right.   ;)

In this PC world I thinks they be lookin' ta distance themselves from stereotypes liken "Injun" Joe and uhh ...Mr Jim. The dert over Sam C be writhin' as classical literature takes another beatin' :blink:

Speakin' of old memories I distinctly remembers seein' model airplanes flyin' in a caged circle an ridin' the tallship Columbia around TS island. The cage be long gone. Does the Columbia still resides there?

She does...

And the fight begins to keep her from being turned into a "Black Pearl"

I understand that kids nowadays need to have their own memories.... it's just hard to see it all at the cost of ours. Seems there should be a way to preserve what was Walt’s original vision AND expand on the newer themes and ideas.

Yes, I know... "Disneyland will never be completed as long as there is imagination left in the world" That does not necessarily mean he would have favored ripping out everything that was original.

(Shrug) Anyways... I expect an Earth quake right soon.

That'll be Walt turning over again... ;)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Yea.., isnt the Columbia., a Remake of the "Columbia Rediva" The sister ship of "The Lady Washington" The two ships Captain Grey used to sail from the east coast to the west coast by order of Thomas Jefferson...,pre-Lewis and Clark ? Too bad Disney couldnt wake the people up about what the Columbia really is.....,the first American Ship to circumnavigate the globe......, It was the first American ship to the Orient (Japan) for the Fur trade.....,the history of its origination is so much more than a Black Pearl.

After all they have a Mr. Lincoln .,Walt was interested in history......, I will miss Columbia.............,It really is beautiful. The Columbia should be everyones memories.., Its an American memory ., it represents American history......, the Columbia River was named after the ship as it was sailing up the Great River of the west ., Captain Grey was attacked by "Injuns" while on these ships.

As the only model of "The Columbia" It would be sad to destroy it in favor of something that looks destroyed?

Perhaps some group like the Greys Harbor Society will come along and build one ?

Disney040.jpg

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

...well what can I say, but change happens...sigh. I am sure teachers are still reading the book in school with their kids. If they do the spin off like Bess says it will be cool. I like the idea of a pirate island actually, kids love pirates! I wish they would bring back the old ship that used to be in Disneyland when I was a kid. I spotted a picture of it recently on a Disney fansite. The ship was sponsered by "Chicken of the Sea". I used to love going inside that ship when I was a kid! One of my favorite rides beside Pirates of the Carribean was very close...Dumbo! :(

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

What do you think... will they rename the island too? Diablo Island? :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

...well what can I say, but change happens...sigh. I am sure teachers are still reading the book in school with their kids. If they do the spin off like Bess says it will be cool. I like the idea of a pirate island actually, kids love pirates! I wish they would bring back the old ship that used to be in Disneyland when I was a kid. I spotted a picture of it recently on a Disney fansite. The ship was sponsered by "Chicken of the Sea". I used to love going inside that ship when I was a kid! One of my favorite rides beside Pirates of the Carribean was very close...Dumbo! :P

I remember that ship!! Can you post a link to the site that has the photo?

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

Sam where you asking me about the ship?

The site I saw before I don't remember where I found it...but I found this one .....

PirateShip-Disneyland info

also I just found this as well...really really neat stuff brings back memories...now gotta forward link to my Disneyholic g/f.

50 Years of Disney 1957 has a nice map of Tom Sawyers Island

1966 has some great old postcards from the Pirates of the Carribean

1967 has an article about Pirates of the Carribean

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Thanks for the link lass....but tha blasted thing would nay open fer me :P

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

That's it!!! Wow. What a nice stroll down memory lane! I opened up the "50 years" link and in 1968 found the map that I used to have pinned up on my bedroom wall! Damn I wish I still had that!!! (along with all of my ticket books with the leftover A, B and C tickets! :)

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

First, Disney does nothing to truly promote POTC (from a public standpoint.)  Then they go overboard.  I think somewhere in the middle is perhaps the best policy.  They've already changed the POTC ride - why mess with another themed part of the park?  Doesn't make sense.

But it does make "cents" ($$$$).

It's hard to argue against the power of the almighty dollar. :ph34r:

For those nostalgic for the Disneyland of their youth (my first visit was in 1968), here is a web site for you:

Yesterland

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

• 3 months later...

I went to Disneyland and checked out the island yesterday. I was not all that impressed. It's pretty much the same except they have skull and crossbones flags flying in certain places, little things here and there have the pirate theme. Other than that it's still the same. In fact, when coming back across on the raft this CM asked me my opinions on it for a survey. The question was, "Did I like it, dislike it or is it pretty much the same." I answered that it was pretty much the same. Oh, well. B)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

The evil deamond sitting on my shoulder said I have to say this.....

Disneyland is not a musiem... it is an intertainement park.....

they have to change to keep up with the times.....

(luckly Pyrates will never change.........)

• 1 month later...
The evil deamond sitting on my shoulder said I have to say this.....

Disneyland is not a musiem... it is an intertainement park.....

they have to change to keep up with the times.....

(luckly Pyrates will never change.........)

true. disneyland/world have always changed with the times to stay up to date.i have only been a few times but i know of many things that changed in the 3 year period i was regularly going.it aways will change.it would be dull if it didnt.