Distressin' a musical instrument?

Scratch, dent, wire brush, sand blarst? How may I be agin' an acoustic guitar without destroyin' its function? Metal parts can get soaked in pool acid to remove the crome. Headstock can get some curves sanded into it to remove the "signature" shape. GAOP straps? Any ideas out there?

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

Assuming that you own a classic acoustic guitar, aging it to look GAoP would be a futile attempt. Today's guitar was developed by Torres in the mid- 1800s and thus well after GAoP.

Any attempt to make it look GAoP would be the same as if someone said: "Let's take this Colt Sixshooter and make it look GAoP!"

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Another thought on aging stuff.....

If you were a Pyrate durring the Golden Age, would you be using something tha was 300 years old?

Distressing something to look used or worn, but well caired for is different than making it look realy old and beat-up......

Unless you just want somethng to hang on a wall that looks old......

I thought I saw a woodblock of a pirate in bucket boots playing a period Gibson... :)

Enigma has it all pointed out and well said. And why would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good guitar? And if it's not a good one, why would you want to play it?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I guess if they were to do a period guitar they would do a tree. The wood would have still be growing. I think that would be the best thing I'd ever see at a re-enactment.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

www://classicalguitarmidi.com/history/guitars_evolution.html

Figures 9&10 from the 1680-90 's are much closer in body and headstock shape to what I have in mind than the Torres sample from 1800's. The purpose of the project is to remove the above said jest of the woodcut pirate playin' a gibson. I've no fear of puttin' blade to wood an think this a minor interestin' project. I not be askin' fer permission to make a Lear 30 into a pirate ship.

But if ye prefer ta listen ta yer mp3 player hidden in yer tent-- :rolleyes:

I checked out your sources as well as some others. Here's my initial take.

The problem with modifying a newer guitar into an older one is that it will not only change its shape, but its playability. In other words, shortening a neck changes the pitch of the chords, they will tend to become much sharper than a true chord on the original neck. All the frets would have to be altered to correct this. Additionally, the tension on the neck would change substantially, because you'd have to screw around with shortening the tension rod that is in most modern guitars. This is what keeps them from bowing. Chances would be good that changing the neck will cause the neck to bow out, creating fret buzz. Also, changing the number of strings will require an entire new cording structure. The one example you show is a five string - it won't work to just drop a finger off a six string chord and using a structure such as banjo chords (five strings) won't work either because the top string is not used in all chords. So it's a bit problematic. I could go on about the technical challenges but a good luthier could shed more light on the changes it would take.

But I doubt it would sound much like a guitar when you're through with it.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

But I doubt it would sound much like a guitar when you're through with it.

-- Hurricane

Why should it Laddie? A black powder pistol makes not the same sound as a glock.

Technically me example is a 10 string- five pairs. This means droppin one pair or losin the octave strings offen the low E an A pair from a modern 12 string. Nut an bridge are easy ta alter. Scale length from nut ta bridge I'll not be changin' thus no fret work involved. You blokes have listed many reasons why this project canna or shouldna be done. You've not touched on why it should be done. Are ye happy with seein modern instruments at events? Be ye happy when a crew member pulls forth an instrument from under his/her cot that be covered in Grateful Dead Stickers? I'm not. I would be puttin forth effort ta change that image. Worry naught 'bout the technical challenges, been there done that :lol:

If the technical challenges are already under hand, what is your question?

You've asked for advice, received it, disagreed with it and discounted it. So I'm not sure what more you'd like. Have you looked at all into insturments that are made and intended from the begining to suit this period?

Take the information provided for what you want to do with it. I care not. It is based on my own 25 years of experience playing stringed instruments. Manipulating the structure of an instrument is a dicey business because you're trying to piecemeal a whole. Ask any luthier and they'll tell you the same thing. An instrument's tone and playability are directly related to all it's pieces. Taking pieces off or redoing them as an amateur is akin to whacking away on a Strat and saying it's still the same violin, that's all.

If you can play a guitar, no one will care at PiP what it looks like. I for one would much more welcome a person who had a nice guitar and sounded good than someone who tried to do something that looked period but the chording and sound of it is soured and mangled by undesireable modifications. I would then just kick you out of our camp (we're doing the buccaneer encampment).

To each his own...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

1. If the technical challenges are already under hand, what is your question?

2. Have you looked at all into insturments that are made and intended from the begining to suit this period?

1. I'd like ta be seein' what others has done or tried.

2. Not at all. Does ye know of any? I'd look but I still prefers to do me own buildin'. There be no satisfaction or creativity in buyin a finished product.

I had expectations 'o hearin bout (samples) ol Katguts experiments on raisin grain an period colours fer shellacs an such. I understands not the smells of fear an reluctance on this topic. :lol:

Patrick: I've gotta admit, I, too, am confused.

But FWIW, there are period paintings (still lifes and others) wherein musical instruments appear. Off the top of my head, there is a Vermeer painting called "The Guitar Player" from 1672, where a guitar features prominently (obviously). But it does look quite new and unscathed to me:

guitar_playerINTRACTV.jpg

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

As in other posts, if your a period pirate in a period camp, it would be assumed you take pride in your possessions and they would look as new or as well cared for as possible. I've seen a lot of other posters here who want to make their stuff look 300 years old to look authentic but that wouldn't be correct at all.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 2 weeks later...
As in other posts, if your a period pirate in a period camp, it would be assumed you take pride in your possessions and they would look as new or as well cared for as possible. I've seen a lot of other posters here who want to make their stuff look 300 years old to look authentic but that wouldn't be correct at all.

-- Hurricane

In a pre-industrial society people didn't throw things away because they were old.It would be quite common to own tools, weapons, furniture that you inherited.Even used clothing was popular item at the Pawn Shop.Having something that looked 300 years old wouldn't normally be period (except for some furniture), but owning items that looked 20, 30 years would be.

I live in a world where metal is cheap and I still hunt with weapons that my grandfather once owned.I also drive a 1979 Jeep ;)

Swords, firearms, musical instruments were very labour intensive and expensive items. People used them until they were beyond repair. People also purchased , or liberated new items as well.

And nothing looks new after six months at sea.

-CS

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

In a pre-industrial society people didn't throw things away because they were old.It would be quite common to own tools, weapons, furniture that you inherited.Even used clothing was popular item at the Pawn Shop.Having something that looked 300 years old wouldn't normally be period (except for some furniture), but owning items that looked 20, 30 years would be.

I live in a world where metal is cheap and I still hunt with weapons that my grandfather once owned.I also drive a 1979 Jeep :lol:

Swords, firearms, musical instruments were very labour intensive and expensive items. People used them until they were beyond repair. People also purchased , or liberated new items as well.

And nothing looks new after six months at sea.

-CS

I would be expectin' Russel Crowe, as Master an Commander, ta be havin' a respectable lookin', expensive, well cared for instrument. Musical instrument production be controlled by the Guilds (read union). Ya didn't be producin' nothin what could be considered competition by the Guilds. Yer average underpaid starvin' seaman would not be puttin' down a years wage nor be havin' 3 months ta wait fer production. A salty old sea dog would most likely have acquired his at a dockside flea market or inherited it from his backwoods granpappy or made it himself.

Everyone has their pet peeves about their kit. Mine be mile deep glossy poly/nitro and Fender written on the headstock. Destroys the mood as sure as seein' "Voit' written on every sail of an otherwise decent lookin' ship. :lol:

This is somewhat off subject, and it's already benn stated, but this all reminds me of a western I was working on. I walked by a Sheriff's office on set, and the on-set painter was aging down all the reward posters I'd just put up. "Why are you doing that?" I asked. "Because this is taking place in the old west" was his reply. "It's not the old west now". Why are you aging a musical instrument again?

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Yer point be understood Mr Bones. I would be askin' ye if yer wanted posters be printed on modern bright white paper an covered in mylar fer protection? Would ye be acceptin' a color poloroid picture of said villan? Would ye be wantin' bar codes and Quicky Prints logo in the bottom corner? :ph34r: I be thinkin' not.

I walked by a Sheriff's office on set, and the on-set painter was aging down all the reward posters I'd just put up. "

I hope that the painter was bitch-slapped by your production designer.

The other extreme would be to have every thing on the set sparkly new, have all the actors with their WHITE shiny teeth dressed in brand new , perfectly clean costumes. Then have the gaffer light the bloody thing like a Mexican soap oprea.

As for the posters maybe a little dirt, creases from being mailed, a little tear here or there, a small coffee stain on one . And have some new ones that were hung on the wall the day before. You know, all that important detail so that the out of focus wall in the background will look it's very best :o

But you are absolutley right. It's crazy to over age something that would be a new item in the time period.

-CS

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

not sure what to do with the geetar.. but i generally take along my pipa (chinese lute) in replacement of ... the body shape and sound have remained the same for about 500 yrs.. so they r a pretty good trade off.. of course u will have to learn how to play the lute.. but u can play anything on it that u play on the geetar!!!! and it's period...

PipaPic.jpg

~QM Seika Hellbound~

We ain't no stinking Parrots!!!"

piratepenguins.gif