Drake Raid in St Augustine

Lady Elaina

• 4 weeks later...

It's generally the first weekend of June, if it happens. I've been trying to get down to it for the last couple of years and there have been problems. First, they stopped the fight through the streets of the Old Town. (this was happening about the time that the chamber of commerce was trying to get rid of the street performers) Of course it was listed as a budget problem. It was cancelled completely 2 years ago. Then it was limited to a camp up at the Fountain of Youth site. The old idea of actually hauling the cannons across the sand spit and then a fight through the streets of the town seems to be fading.

I hope they do get their act together and make a go of it this year. If they do, I'll definitely be there. Be warned, though, it is an event for re-enactors, not a faire type event.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Sounds good to me.. I just got back from Key West and I played a historical figure as close as possible. She follows in the same time period as the Drake raid. (She was alive during Elizabeth's era) I hope they go through with it.. I am free that weekend.

Gabrielle

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg

Don't forget Searle's Raid in St. Augustine on the 27th of March. I will be trying to join in the organization of the event, or at least keep this board apprised of changes. Cheers from St. Aug. Anyone else on this board live in these parts?

Ahoy Sam

What is Searle's raid? That be a new one t' me. Have ye heard aught of Drake's Raid?

Not from that area, but been there a few times. I know a number of folks in that area, though- Rich Lanni, Brad Spear (he moved, I know) and some of the Men of Menedez.

Hawkyns

:huh:

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Don't forget Searle's Raid in St. Augustine on the 27th of March. I will be trying to join in the organization of the event, or at least keep this board apprised of changes. Cheers from St. Aug. Anyone else on this board live in these parts?

Ahoy, Sam...

Me and me shipmates stayed at yer fine establishment, "The Pirate Haus" a couple of years back whe we did Searle's Raid.

>>>>> Cascabel

What be the "Pirate Haus", Cascabel and Bald Sam?

I'm very interested in everything in St. Augustine. We went there last year and hope to be able to visit again, preferably next year. Please keep us posted about Searle's Raid, Drake's Raid, and anything that goes on in those faire waters! :ph34r:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Talked to an old associate and got directed to the following web site

http://home.cfl.rr.com/rupertsdrakes/index.html

It has the rules, standards, and warning orders for Searle's Raid, and a date for Drake's Raid.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

rod_21.jpg

Btw...

Helloooo Cascabel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a great time in PIP!!!!! You will be there next year right???????????

Gabrielle aka Pirate Princess ;)

Ahoy back to ye, M'lady....

Enjoyed meeting you at PiP. Sorry I didn't have more time to talk with you. I stayed pretty busy. I'll surely be back next year, as I'm part of the regular cast. Hope to see ya there !!!!

>>>>>> Cascabel

Yes Cascabel I have already confirmed with PIP that I will be back. I am working on the sketches for me dresses as we speak. I may run into at times.. I have been invited to do other events.

If I do the Drake thing I will just be in garb. I will also only go during the Drake Raid and not the other one. Hope to see some of you there!!!

Gabrielle ;)

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg

Lady Elaina

I'm hoping to be at Drake's Raid. If I do go, I shall definitely be with the combatants and camped at the Fountain of Youth park. Nice thing about southern events is I don't need to take a tent. Small square of silcloth packs much better for airline travel.

Cascabel

Great to meet you at PiP. Sorry we couldn't stay longer. Not sure if we'll go next year, may go to Fantasy Fest instead.

Hawkyns

:lol:

rod_21.jpg

I live in St. Augustine, Sam, But then you already know that.....lol

Stop by Beef O'Brady's (at the beach) any Wednesday about 4pm (except Dec 24, they close at 4)and we will chat and I'll give you a copy of my "Falcon's Revenge."

Fair Winds

Joe O'Steen :ph34r:

Redvipers, ye are also on the Hornblower list, are ye not?

Capt. William

:ph34r:

Aye, sir, Captain William, that I am. I have not visited there as much as I would like of late. I missed the initial showing of "Duty" but caught most of it last night on A&E and enjoyed it very much.

I am eagerly waiting for M&C to come out on DVD as there was so much action on the screen at the movies that I could not catch near as much as I wanted.

Fair Winds

Captain Viper

(Joe O'Steen)

Will stop by O'brady's when I get the chance, hopefully this wednesday. The Pirate Haus Inn and Hostel is a pirate themed lodging in the heart of St. Augustine (1 block from the Plaza). We just hosted the Jefferson Long Rifles for the Nightwatch, and they've booked the entire place for next year. (We've only got 6 rooms plus two dorm rooms for backpackers)...that way we can party into the wee hours without fear of annoying anyone. We're the most affordable place in the area and great for kids and groups because most of our rooms have one or two sets of bunkbeds plus a bigger bed. In keeping with the theme of me 'ship' that's run aground, I'm trying to get more into re-enacting, not for history's sake, but for the fun of it, something like Cascabel's done. I don't think I'll go out and spend a fortune on clothes and such (though to participate in some of these things I guess I'll have to acquire some items!) I like dressing up for the kids who come to stay...

If any of you are inclined to visit St. Aug, please stop on in...even if you don't stay here , but we've got loads of other amenities (and a wee bit of rum....)....

cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to one of the organisers of Drake's Raid, last night. I had some concerns because of the requirements of a Black Powder Certification. We have no such thing up here in CT, no license nor nuthin' needed.

Turns out that it is indeed a safety issue, but that you don't need an NPS or other official ticket to play. You will, however, be put through a safety check of yourself and your weapon. They have legitimate concerns with the battle being so close to the public.

This was a definite concern to me, since I'm not going to fly to Florida with all my kit and weapons, and then not be able to be part of the battle. So it looks like June will be on, black powder smoke and flashing steel.

rod_21.jpg