The Mercury, 1720 Clothing and Weapons

William Brand

What your seeing is three pieces....

the belt....

a sorta "sideways L" shaped piece...

and the loop...

The loop is sewn onto the back lower edge of the sorta "sidways L" (you can't see it in the photo tho....)

then folded around and stitched at the top. (making a loop to hold the scabbard.

When I sewed it to the belt, it goes about 1/2" on the inside of the belt.... I then trimmed it at an angle (the leather is realy thick) to take out some of the thickness.....

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Patrick mind sharing the dimensions on the frog?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

You forgot your musket.

You know you think too much about pyracy when you know what someone left out of the picture.

Will you be bringing this kit to PiP?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

The ruler "flashed Out".... (also it 13" not 12"...)

swordBelt-1.jpg

I posted this in the "Post Your Arsenl " thread..... but figgure I'd show it here also.....

Weapons.jpg

Thanks Patrick, much appreciated! :ph34r:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Once I get the Dragoon Pistol, I have to make a case to transport all the weapons in.....

I still have to finish.... two shirts, make another pair of slops, and three pair of drawers....

Hey... there's still 4 months till I have to have everything finished...... :D

Wow I didn't realize how close PiP is. Yes! I'm so excited. Still have a few pairs of breeches to make and possibly a new waistcoat or 2. Finish my tent.

Buy 2 pairs of shoes. Grab a pistol and all the accoutrements need for such.

Well at least I know I won't run out of projects.

Yep PiP is going to rock this year! (but I think I've said that already)

I still have to finish.... two shirts, make another pair of slops, and three pair of drawers....

Three pairs of drawers?? For one weekend?? Now who's the fancy dan...just use yer shirt... :lol::ph34r:

Crewe of the Archangel

:ph34r::ph34r::lol: You have a VERY good point there! :ph34r:

Crewe of the Archangel

I can tell you from experience ...they would not let Patrick on board without a change of clothing and a shower. He went the VERY authentic rout last year. Let me remind you, it was HOT down there and those of who love Patrick and wanted to share his company, learned to stay up wind of him!

I want to make a wooden case to carry my weapons in....

I just checked out the price of boards at the hardware store (Yah... I know they will be a little less at the lumber yard...)

OUCH.....

Then the thought struck me.... Why not take apart a pallet to make the case from.... we have a few outside....(someone gave them to my boss to use for firewood...and she has a cord of wood already stacked and cut to length)

I'll have to play with the idea tonight after work, and see if it will work......

Word of caution there, mate...the Department of Transportation (DOT) has regulations for cases and such. You might want to check the rules first.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I want to make a wooden case to carry my weapons in....

I just checked out the price of boards at the hardware store (Yah... I know they will be a little less at the lumber yard...)

OUCH.....

Then the thought struck me.... Why not take apart a pallet to make the case from.... we have a few outside....(someone gave them to my boss to use for firewood...and she has a cord of wood already stacked and cut to length)

I'll have to play with the idea tonight after work, and see if it will work......

It's a great idea.... I've used wood recycled from wooden shipping pallets for many re-enactment creations. The down side to it is it was hard to find consistant sized peices for what I was making, but the extra work was worth it, it gave the finished product a nice aged and used look.

Michael_banner.jpg

You might want to check the rules first.

I looked on the DOT page, and couldn't find anything about shipping small weapons....

When they were shipped to me, they came in cardboard boxes......

I know that if I fly with them, they have to be in a locked hard case.... but making a wooden case would fit that discription.....

My biggest concern is making it strong enough to survive baggage handlers..... (remember that old Sampsonite comercial....with the gorilla.... :lol: )

I finally got my new sword guard! (and way sooner than expected).

Now I have even more motivation to finish the sword belt!

I won't post the pics here as they are numerous and big (file size).... But I have them stored in this folder in case anyone would like to have a peek.

Pics of my new clamshell sword guard

I've also included a pic of the original that it is based on.... The guard is made for a threaded rod tang sword blade, so it is currently fitted with a 28 inch fencing blade, I also have a 30 inch sabre style fencing blade that fits the guard.

I'm a little geeked up about it.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Once I get the Dragoon Pistol, I have to make a case to transport all the weapons in.....

Hey... there's still 4 months till I have to have everything finished......

The Dragoon pistol arrived yesterday, so I started re-finishing it.....

I don't think I'll bring the boarding axe..... a Blunderbuss, two pistols a knife and a cutlass should be enough for Key West....... :D

I still have to make one more shirt, and the drawers....

I bought a light blue wool blanket at a yard sale, I might re-dye it darker and make another (lighter weight) coat, so I'm not as hot (and stinky) in Key West this year....

And a compleate set of Garb for Carol.........

114 DAYS

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering as to the typical weather...

Are we talking slops and shirt and still sweat yer arse off???

Or is a longcoat or even short jacket overkill???

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

The weather wasn't too hot during the day... but it isn't a bright idea to wear a heavy wool jacket durring the day eaither..... :blink:

At night it isn't too bad....

But I am making a much lighter weight wool jacket (more of a sleeved waistcoat) for PiP.....