The Mercury, 1720 Careening Camp

William Brand

William, Won't carting buckets be a bit of a problem for you? Let me see what I can contribute. I will be traveling with Callenish.

As to Callenish being able to help with the cooking there will be at least 3 of us tending the booth at various times. Cooking does not take 100% attention 100 % of the time. I know I can manage to stir something in a pot well enough that I can keep it from sticking. Additionally, he will not be vending once the fort is closed unless by "appointment" .

I had no lantern last year and I had no problems getting around at all. I did take a small flashlight that I don't recall using. Again, after hours you don't have to be period correct but it is nice to keep the atmosphere.

Has anyone talked to Harry about what cookware he has? I know I saw several cast iron things including a grate and pots and a griddle ...I think.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may buy two buckets and carve a shoulder yoke to fetch the water.

You mean that, The YOKES on you? eggcelant!

quick back on topic afor I get poached.

Cooking does not take 100% attention 100 % of the time.

True enough depending on where his and our tents are located. If close, no problem. If all the way across the fort, problem. However, I think he is going to have lots of help so no problem.

Additionally, he will not be vending once the fort is closed unless by "appointment" .

Does this mean you don't support the idea of one period group meal at around 1 or 2? or just that you know you'll be cooking afterhours as well?

Additionally, he will not be vending once the fort is closed unless by "appointment" .
Does this mean you don't support the idea of one period group meal at around 1 or 2? or just that you know you'll be cooking afterhours as well?
It simply means that he can probably work the evening and morning meals.

I had no lantern last year and I had no problems getting around at all. I did take a small flashlight that I don't recall using. Again, after hours you don't have to be period correct but it is nice to keep the atmosphere.

Mustn't forget we had that glorious waxing gibbous moon (almost full) and clear skies last year ~ so the grounds were fairly well lit. This year we will be in the last quarter, so we will have significantly less moonlight even with clear skies. I expect unlit trips to the loo by the lit :ph34r: might become a little more interesting ~ :ph34r:

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

willing and able to cook if need be for another pyro to tend the fire

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Dinner at that time was, the main meal of the day, the only meal served aboard ship I believe, and eaten about one or two o�clock. So our arrangement is �period.�

The other advantage is that by eating at about 2 o'clock, is that it gives the public something to see.... Us eating, and before that, the cook(s) cooking.....

I still think chunks of meat and some vegetables boiled in a pot is the easyest... but that is why no one is going to vote for me as the camp cook....

So I'll leave the "menue" up to whoever wants to be the cook........

Thoughts on camp cooking...

I'm thinking on what Pyrates would have had to cook and eat with...

a copper kettle sounds good... there are those Mexican copper kettles (just have to line it with tin so it's safe to cook outta) but we can make do with whatever we can get....

On fire Irons....

This is one of my pet peaves... when I go to a Rendezvous, every camp had a set of forged cooking irons.... sure they are period, but why would a Mountain Man be carrying them.....

OK.. they do work better than making them out of avalible sticks, and they are more secure (you don't lose your meal if they break) And I don't think we could pound wooden uprights deep enough into the ground inside the fort to work.... so what if... we used the iron uprights, and a wooden cross stick? Kinda compromise between what Pyrates would have had, and something that works..... (Yah... I know, it's just a minor point, but 20 pounds of iron gear, just dosen't look right to me......)

On personel eating equipment...

For eating offa, I'm bringing....

a Pewter plate (wood would work, but I have one that looks very close to what they found from the Whydah)

I want to get a pewter spoon (and drill a hold in the handle so it can be hung-up, once again like one from the Whydah)

My tankard

and my belt knife.....

I don't need a fork, and I'm not sure if bowls were common or not.....

bowls or noggins would be very period patrick since most meals onboard ship were as you said a bit of meat and or veggies boiled and perhaps a bit of hardtack and cheese .....so actually bowls would be much more efficient than a plate ...except for officers who got a bit better rations than the common seaman

and during the day a meal of a soup or stew hardtack and cheese would be fine in front of the touristas but after hours i would prefer a good meal still cooked as period as possible and washed down with a bit of ale or cyder

Callenish looks like you'll be our cook. By this I don't mean that you have cook a single thing. Just bring the pots and organize all of the cook's mates and scullions.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding cook's mates, lots of folks round here like to "stir the pot" :P If you need any help just let us know what ya need.

Patrick:

My source said, "a single riveted copper boiler..." Which Im starting to think would have been huge. Probably too big to remove from the ship. So Callenish's pots should do fine.

As to fire irons, I think sailors would have rigged wooden tripods on opposing sides of the fire and stretched a pole between or just set the pots on the coals. However, Callenish said something about a spit, so I'm startin' to like the idea of irons. Anyway, if we have the irons we can decide on site which way to go.

As to tableware what I’ve been reading lately seems to indicate that common sailors would have had a

square wooden plate

a wooden bowl

a mug of wood or horn or horn and wood

a spoon of wood or horn

table forks were new at this time and not a thing of the common man :P

for a knife they would use their belt knife

pewter could replace wood for the better off men

note: not having a fork means finger lickin’ so a small linen towel or kerchief might be an idea ;)

So I got to thinking about the logistics of the camp. Maybe if we could start out with a rendering of what we have in mind then we could start making a list of what we might need. I really think we need to start listing out what we think we need. Not saying that the list is the bible but gives us a starting point. What'd do you all think.

I think you need to go back and read this thread. First we need Pyrates and not just any ol Pyrates but authentic like 1720 Pyrates. Which means most of us need to get to work on our personal kit. Then we need a camp, mostly everyone's Tarp (or tent if you must) ect, again a personal thing. We agreed to a camp fire and to cookin' on it. Callenish has got that covered. Since we are havin' a fire we need a "Fire Protection District" and William has got that covered. Harry has offered the use of a few large barrels. Add a tarp, or few, over some faked out provisions, and we are good to go. Lets see we could use a ships wheel, rotting corpses, and some styrofoam togo boxes, NOT!

What are we missing??

BTW William did you see, on page 49 of the paper on ships lighting that Blackjohn turned us on to, that ships had canvas buckets for fire fighting?

Aye, I did notice that, though on page 47. Still I would like to see a second source on this for I have seen the "canvas bucket" issue hotly debated before. Perhaps one of our resident historians has a second source on the canvas bucket.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I'm throwing what budgeted money I have set aside into period clothing and conveniences. Starting off with just a sash in my name, I won't have much left. Besides manual labor in which I already have full intentions on doing so, how can a new lad contribute?

I consider workin with people a better way to get to know everyone and make friends, so feel free to tell me what's needed and I'll try to get it done.

I consider a 7 hour drive more local than most on the board, would anyone need an extra body to show up early to help set up?

I'll run my garb selection by you all before I come to ensure I don't stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm throwing what budgeted money I have set aside into period clothing and conveniences. Starting off with just a sash in my name, I won't have much left. Besides manual labor in which I already have full intentions on doing so, how can a new lad contribute?

I'll run my garb selection by you all before I come to ensure I don't stick out like a sore thumb.

There are very simple shirt patterns in the Captain Twill forum. I recommend you make your shirts out of linen. It breathes very well in warm weather.

May I assume that I can officially add you to the roll call? And do you have a camp preference?

Aye, I did notice that, though on page 47. Still I would like to see a second source on this for I have seen the "canvas bucket" issue hotly debated before. Perhaps one of our resident historians has a second source on the canvas bucket.

Aye, pg 47. OOPS!

Looks like you were also right with the brass and horn lanterns. cool!

I'm excited about the lanterns. I do plan to purchase two and leave one behind for the following camps. The matching set should be well suited for a pair of night watchmen when we do the rounds.

I'm seriously considering a musket for patrol.

There are very simple shirt patterns in the Captain Twill forum. I recommend you make your shirts out of linen. It breathes very well in warm weather.

May I assume that I can officially add you to the roll call? And do you have a camp preference?

Yes you can add me to the roll call; I had thought I posted the prior message in there where it would have been more appropriate, I must have hit "reply" in the other window where I was looking the camp information up. Careening camp is my preference.

how can a new lad contribute?

As I hinted above, the very best way to contribute is to get your kit as authentic as possible. The backbone of the camp will be peoples individual kits. If they are right, we will have a great impression. If they are wrong, anything done to try and make up for it becomes a mockery! Lots of great hints around here. Good luck!

how can a new lad contribute?

As I hinted above, the very best way to contribute is to get your kit as authentic as possible. The backbone of the camp will be peoples individual kits. If they are right, we will have a great impression. If they are wrong, anything done to try and make up for it becomes a mockery! Lots of great hints around here. Good luck!

Seconded. Once you have your personal kit in place and as the festival draws nearer, we shall be handing out assignments. You are of course welcome to volunteer assistance by way of donated items and suggestions as always, but kit before camp.

Now is a good time for a recap. The following only applies to the 1720 camp, not to other camps or PIP in general. Please let me know, if you disagree with anything, if things need to be added, if you have questions, or if you just have comments.

B)

The year is 1720. On a small subtropic isle, the crew of the sloop Mercury, having slept off the spending of their profits at the Feral Cock, is beginning the unpleasant business of preparing their vessel for a more profitable "unpleasant business". As Mercury is in need of Careening, her crew has hastily made a camp ashore. The camp looks a bit military, with all the tents, weapons, and provisions about. A strange military though, where discipline is not just lacking, but actually scorned.

The tents are not at all uniform, but of all types and sizes, many are mere tarps cobbled together from bits of spare or recycled canvas, rope and wood. Why, one looks to be using pieces of a broken oar for its poles. Most have a lantern of brass and horn hanging near by, an oilcloth ground sheet, a wool blanket or two, a sea chest, perhaps the remains of last nights bottle and nought much more. God only knows what hides within the closed tents though, as a nose sticking in is likely met by a pistol sticking out.

The “tents” are not in neat little rows separated by task and rank, but set haphazardly around a small carefully watched fire where dinner is prepared. Men who spend their days aboard floating tinder boxes have a great respect for the danger of a spark, and thus two large buckets of water are at the hand.. The fire is flanked by two tripods of wooden poles lashed together with rope and supporting a pole from which the cooking pots are hung. At meal time, the crew gather around with their sea chest, sitting astride one side and using the remaining side as a table. The “dinning tables” are set with a square wooden plate, wooden bowl, horn mug, spoon, and a linen napkin, though some of the crew have pewter in lieu of wood and horn.

The barrels and crates of “provisions” are neatly piled and coverd with canvas to protect them from the weather and from curious eyes.

B)

To fulfill the above vision each of us should have

Canvas tarp or, if you must, tent

Wrought iron stakes (coral is too hard for wood)

Hemp rope

Waterproof ground cloth

Wool blanket, maybe a second blanket or a rug or mat

Brass candle lantern with horn window

candles and a means to light them

Sea chest

Wood or pewter plate & bowl

Wood, horn or pewter mug & spoon

Linen napkin (no table forks)

Optional period bottles, kegs, etc.

Period clothing including a belt knife (see other thread)

Period weapons of your choice

Personal items (toothbrush, razor, soap, small towel, meds etc) best if hidden.

Note these are “suggestions for ‘07” things to spend time or money on. You can make do for now with what you may have, the closer to the above the better, but it will need to be replaced to play in future years. The only hard rule for ‘07 is that the Fort will not allow nylon tents. You can still camp just not with us in the fort.