2500 Year-Old Mirror Smashed on TV Show

William Brand

A 2500-year-old mirror (worth 500,000 lbs) was being shown on a Chinese TV show. A model was holding the mirror when it slipped out of her hands and smashed on the floor.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_21744...4421.html?menu=

The owner of the mirror was in the front row and saw the whole thing. I would be ill.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Call me crazy, but if I owned that mirror, I would have insisted it be displayed on a table or something...not handled by a model! :ph34r:

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

I feel for the girl who dropped it. A basic normal accident and now shes got to feel terrible. I hope the guy doesn't come after her.

I wonder what he'd come after her for? I don't know what Chinese models are paid, but if it's like every other career in China... Hopefully Silkie is right and the thing was insured.

I wonder how they made mirrors 2500 years ago? I better go home and look it up...

"From Encyclopedia Britanica:

The typical mirror is a sheet of glass that is coated on its back with aluminum or silver that produces images by reflection. The mirrors used in Greco-Roman antiquity and throughout the European Middle Ages were simply slightly convex disks of metal, either bronze, tin, or silver, that reflected light off their highly polished surfaces. A method of backing a plate of flat glass with a thin sheet of reflecting metal came into widespread production in Venice during the 16th century; an amalgam of tin and mercury was the metal used. The chemical process of coating a glass surface with metallic silver was discovered by Justus von Liebig in 1835, and this advance inaugurated the modern techniques of mirror making."

(from A Brief History of Mirrors)

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

The poor girl. I suppose "oops" just doesn't apply. It's a shiny trinket..the collector can afford more. But hey, they handed it over. Something I would'n do that way. I'd have shared it through a qualified venue.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 2 weeks later...