Military Through the Ages

michaelsbagley

I was wondering if anyone has heard much about the Military through the ages timeline event in Maryland in March (March 17th - 18th this year)... It is in or near Williamsburg.

Do any of the pirate groups set up or attend this one?

I've attached a link below in case anyone is interested or wants to know more.

http://www.virginia.org/site/description.a...&MGrp=3&MCat=11

If there is a pirate group going or thinking of going, would you mind if I joined your crew for this weekend?

Michael_banner.jpg

I can see that Black John is looking at this thread at the same time I am, and he will probably beat me to the post, but anyway.....

If you live in the DelMarVa area, or even close to it, there are a couple of good, no, great pirate groups in your area.

Are you affiliated with any of them yet?

I am sure that the Pirate Brethren will have some folks at MTT, and another group to consider would be the Archangel's crew.

I can tell by your posts, questions and comments, that you would probably do well with either.

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Now there's a loaded question... first some clarification is in order. I believe you are confusing two similar events. Military through the Ages, the event you provide the link for, is in Virigina near Williamsburg. Marching through Time is another timeline event, held in Maryland, at Marietta Mansion, not too far from DC, on the weekend of April 14 & 15.

As for the attendance of pirate groups at MTA, I quote the intro to my website.

"The Pirate Brethren, as a reenacting group, was formed in the mid-1990s, originally going by the name Brethren of the Bay. We share a common ancestry with Merrick's Privateers, both units springing from an ill-fated attempt to have a Pirate Camp at Jamestown's Marching Through Time event, an idea which was in itself born of the annual Adelphi Mill Pyrate Feast."

Why ill-fated? Well, once there, we discovered the organizers would not let us set up camp, because, get this, "pirates aren't military." Oh, and vikings are military?!?!? Sheesh. That's how Merrick's Privateers became privateers. Whereas my group held fast and remained on the wrong side of the law, his people went legit so they could get a berth at MTA. That's cool. They do their thing, we do ours, sometimes we meet in the middle and have fun together.

To answer your question regarding pirate camps at MTA. No, as far as I know there won't be any. Reenactors that I know have become disillusioned with the event organizers and I only know a small handful of people doing other time periods who plan to attend.

As for MTT, the answer is yes. Merrick's Privateers will be there. The Pirate Brethren received an invite in the mail just this week. However, I promised Kass I would help fill out the coffeehouse impression. I'm going to be a used suit seller! How fun!

If you are interested, we've been having a running discussion here. The most recent posts have drifted toward the methods of preparation for period cocoa.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Is that right? I thought MTT (Marching through time) was Maryland and MTA (Military through the Ages) was in Williamsburg....

Got me confused now, i'll have to go check...

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I am sure that the Pirate Brethren will have some folks at MTT, and another group to consider would be the Archangel's crew.

No we will NOT be attending this event, we are focusing more on another one Blackjohn is working on for the next month.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Sorry about the confusion....

I'm mostly interested in Military through the Ages on the weekend of March 17th and 18th in Virginia....

I really wanted to attend the March through Time in April in Maryland... But unfortunately I have been conscripted to a family obligation by the other half... :o So I'm targetting the Military through the ages as a substitute (placebo).

Funny thing about your mentioning "Vikings" with regards to Military through the ages... As it stands, I will likely aim to do Viking for this event unless I hear of a GAoP group going out. I don't know the Viking group that is going to be there first hand, but I do know many people in common and could probably hook up with them. :P

I completely agree on your point that Viking were not an organized army and hence why should pirates be singled out, funny where people draw the lines for these things...

I may just join th Bethren discussion forum as well... Just in case I can weasel my way out of the girlfriend's family ordeal...

Michael_banner.jpg

Funny thing about your mentioning "Vikings" with regards to Military through the ages... As it stands, I will likely aim to do Viking for this event unless I hear of a GAoP group going out. I don't know the Viking group that is going to be there first hand, but I do know many people in common and could probably hook up with them.  :blink:

I began my reenacting adventures as a viking and still know some folks doing that who will be there at MTA. If you need a contact, send me an email or pm.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.