Whydah Cartridge Box Replica

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Bagley, nicely done! <_<

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI... I am also now offering cartridge boxes in Cranberry Red (it's a dark red).

And while browsing through the British History archives, I found the below citation about cartridge boxes (cartouche boxes), the citation is from 1693. (Bold emphasis added by me)

Aug. 23. 521. Minutes of Council of Nevis. The Assembly was sworn and presented Philip Dewitt as their Speaker. Act to encourage the taking of runaway negroes passed. The Council agreed to the Assembly's proposal that all persons should keep one gun and cartouche box per every fifteen dutiable negroes, in order to arm the poor who cannot provide themselves; and that a penalty be considered upon for such as wilfully break or sell their guns. Joint Committee appointed to draw up an Act for the purpose. The Council and Assembly agreed to effect an exchange with St. Christophers of stores of cannon-shot, those in Nevis being better fitted for the guns in St. Kitts and vice versa. [Col. Entry Bk., Vol. XLVIII., pp. 280, 281.]
Michael_banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>Mr Bagley did me the honour of showing me one of his boxes at Hampton; a fine piece of work indeed. My thought was to stock a few in the armoury for those who need the full accoutrement package. :angry: :o:o

I have been making a few hunting bags and got some new musket tools in stock along with flint wallets ....so the addition of a few of these boxes to the line can't hurt!</span>

Edited by callenish gunner

The actress and I want to know, Monsieur Souris, what the bloody hell are ye doing at the pub, checking out Twill on yer wedding day????

Ye need to have a good talk with Cheeky about what ye are supposed to be doing!!!

Cheeky wants to know where Kate is??? Has she locked herself in the wc because of yer lack of attention?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The mistress and I want to know, Monsieur Souris, what the bloody hell are ye doing at the pub, checking out Twill on yer wedding day????

Ye need to have a good talk with Cheeky about what ye are supposed to be doing!!!

Cheeky wants to know where Kate is??? Has she locked herself in the wc because of yer lack of attention?

Well, the wife (seems strange to say that without irony :ph34r: ) and I needed a few minutes to decompress yesterday, so she logged onto my computer and I was reading over her shoulder... But we weren't on for long....

As to what we should have been doing, well... I think we figured it out... :ph34r:

Callenish Gunner , I will be sending you an email either later tonight or tomorrow.

To everyone else who has messaged me, I am a couple of shot pouches behind at the moment, I should be caught up by the end of the week, but I will try and respond to everyone tonight or tomorrow as well..

Michael_banner.jpg

Mr Bagley did me the honour of showing me one of his boxes at Hamton; a fine piece of work indeed. My thought was to stock a few in the armoury for those who need the full accoutrement package. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I have been making a few hunting bags and got some new musket tools in stock along with flint wallets ....so the addition of a few of these boxes to the line can't hurt!

Hey Callenish,

I sent you an email abo a week ago, I'm just wondering if you have been busy and haven't had the chance to get back to me yet... Or if there is a problem with my email and you didn't get the message. Please private message me or email when and if you get the chance.

Thanks!!! ;)

Michael_banner.jpg

Glad to hear the makers of these boxes are being praised so well...

I have been trying to get in touch with Captain Midnight for some time now, via email & PM with no luck...

Excellent work by both!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Glad to hear the makers of these boxes are being praised so well...

I have been trying to get in touch with Captain Midnight for some time now, via email & PM with no luck...

Excellent work by both!

Dorian, if you read back through the thread a ways, Midnight mentioned some time ago that he is giving up on making the shot pouches (although he may have changed his mind)... I don't much relish the idea of sniping a sale... But if Midnight is still on hiatus from making the pouches, I would happily take your order if you are so interested.

If you are fond of the slats added to the roof of the pouch as Midnight does it, I can do it for you that way as well, I have just chosen to make my "production"model closer to the Phips shot pouch than the Whydah version.

Michael_banner.jpg

Hey, it's cool that someone else is making cartridge boxes.... I got mine from Capt Midnight, ordered it without the slats, and am very happy with it....

The only problem, is that a bunch of us ordered the same cartridge box (hey they are very well made and good quality, Captain Midnight's work is excellent), but it looks like they were Government issue....... so having some variation in them is a good thing....

Hey, it's cool that someone else is making cartridge boxes.... I got mine from Capt Midnight, ordered it without the slats, and am very happy with it....

The only problem, is that a bunch of us ordered the same cartridge box (hey they are very well made and good quality, Captain Midnight's work is excellent), but it looks like they were Government issue....... so having some variation in them is a good thing....

Speaking of variety, I also am making them in four colours now...

Natural Veg-Tan,

Timber Brown,

Black,

and now Cranberry Red as well.

I haven't made one in red yet, but I am hoping to get to that later this week, I'll try and remember to post a pic when I do one to show the colour off. I've also been considering doing a "rust" colour (mixing the red and the brown dyes), but we'll see...

Michael_banner.jpg

• 8 months later...

Speaking of variety, I also am making them in four colours now...

Natural Veg-Tan,

Timber Brown,

Black,

and now Cranberry Red as well.

I haven't made one in red yet, but I am hoping to get to that later this week, I'll try and remember to post a pic when I do one to show the colour off. I've also been considering doing a "rust" colour (mixing the red and the brown dyes), but we'll see...

As a reminder, I am still making these (as I have been for the last year and a half). My have had to go up since the cost of materials went up a bit... But now natural shot boxes are $45, and dyed ones are $50.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 5 months later...

Just curious if everyone who ordered a Cartridge Box from CM got it. Its been eons ago, but I struck up a trade, sent my part of the bargain off... and never received my box.

After a few months, I got the customary "I've been so busy..." e-mail, but that has to be 2 years ago.....

Hey, I am a patient guy, but 2 + years? I PM'd a few weeks ago... NADA.

I just want the monetary value of the trade items I sent out... that is all.

Hey, Captain Midnight... $60 please.

Edited by Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Aye GoF,

I did the same... and, same deal...

I sent off my trade item, he received it and gave such praises and promises...

Same result, I never received my box.

$60 from you Midnight, forget the box...

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

• 3 months later...

Captain Midnight Finally contacted me.

A little communication went a long way. Case Closed as far as I am concerned.

Edited by Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yurrh! Count me in, too! I gots th' money all ready fer two boxes. Contact me at

elizabethhayes2002@yahoo.com

an we'm can do business! biggrin.gif

Ahoy Badger,

I appreciate your interest in my boxes, mate, but I am out of the business now, as it were. I am currently finishing up two outstanding orders for two gentlemen and then I am retired from them. That being said, however, please allow me to recommend Mr. Michael Bagley to you. He can fill your order for the two cartridge boxes, and his work is every bit as good, if not better than my own. ;)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

• 7 months later...

Aye, thank ye folks for the kind compliments, I am very happy that you are pleased with your cartridge boxes! As an added note, I try to get them made as quickly as I can, but it's just me making them all by hand, and it gets hard sometimes wrestling the orders around my mundane job and family and other stuff, but my pledge to all the brethren is that I will ALWAYS fill your orders as fast as I can...I will NOT forget anyone! That's a promise! Thank you all for your business, I sincerely appreciate you all! :rolleyes:

Well...

As I have been waiting over two years for my order...

And more than one promise that I'll have it ' in a week or two'...

Several PM's on here that have been read and not replied to...

You be the judge...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Mr. Lassiter, I've got a couple that I need to finish the liners for. 1 is black, 1 is natural.

I've got to go to Shenandoah Valley this next week. But I can have them ready to ship a few days after I get back.

By the 25th or so at the latest. Check my website and call me on the phone.

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net