how do i find a pirate crew to join

:rolleyes: i am lokin for two things namely #1 where i can get some hands on learnin on the lore from sword play to the boardin party and so on and #2 after i gets htis experience and trainin where i can join a goodly pirate crew me SCA group has a problem namely with getiin a new seneschal from march 2007 to February 2008 if we do not get a new seneschal by March of tbhis year me group will no longer exist and i have had ter wait to get me finances in order before i begins to complete me garb and weapons however since i am in an multi unit building me landlord advised me fer safety not ter get real pistols and cutlass i has ter make do with wooden cutlass and non firing pistols for now i hopester hear from somone soon because if not i be feelin i would be marooned fer somethin that in someways is not me fault

LOL, aye... that would be a good peice o information to be haven...

Honestly tho, smaller SCA groups constantly have that problem. senischal is a tough job to take on, and is very under rated, so finding ppl to put the effort into it can be hard at times. the paperwork is a monster and thats when things are going smooth.

As for a real blade... LOL thats a bit silly, just a large kitchen knife, with the propper safety and resposible handling, I cant see it being a problem... (thats like saying "you can have a toaster as ya might drop it in the bathtub") lol

Capt. Porthos

Pirate Thunder

The Star Gazer

I posted a lengthy missive a while back about this topic... and I am too lazy to search for it.

Basically, you need to decide what you want to do with your pirate impression.

There are several lines of thinking about this, and I will try to cover the bases as best I can, but I am sure that others will chime in.

Once you boil all the water off, there are three categories of “pirate” groups. You need to think about yourself, your personality, and where you think you would align the best.

1st type Festival Pirate

The festival pirate groups are interested in the spirit of piracy. No emphasis is put on historical accuracy. These groups are most interested in just having fun, in a pirate way. This doesn’t mean that there is no one in these groups that are authentic, its just that authenticity is not stressed and is left up to the individual. Authentic members tend to leave these groups after a while as, someone who puts 100s of hours researching their kits and is intersected in historical piracy, will tend to want to gravitate toward others with the same philosophy. Also, members of “authentic” groups that realize they do not have as much time or the resources to keep up with their fellow history buffs, tend to gravitate toward the festival pirates where a broader interpretation of “pirate” give them room to relax.

2nd Historical Pirates

These are the folks that look at their impression in a historical context. This group covers a lot more ground that you may think as it includes those folks that know all about historical piracy and are as close to emulating it as anyone in the hobby, as well as those folks that are new, their kits aren’t the best but they are striving for historical accuracy (and everything in between those two).

Its often said that Authenticity cost more, and while it can be true, at the same time most accurate clothing can be made by yourself, saving lots of money and building self esteem at the same time. Also, its always more expensive to buy fantasy pirate stuff first, and then later buying authentic stuff on top. Now is a good time to be involved as the vendor community is finally waking up to the historical pirate movement and they are starting to make/sell things appropriate for the 1680-1730 time frame.

3rd

Entertainers

The third group are what I refer to as the “entertainer” group. Another broad category, but generally can be categorized as those groups that, in conjunction with event coordinators, provide a service to the “public” by entertaining them with song, show, or as “atmosphere”.

For some of these groups, historical accuracy is not as important as being easily recognized as a pirate (which usually means a Hollywood interpretation). Since their mortgage can be dependent on their next gig, looking like Jack Sparrow may be more important than having the right shoe buckles for pre-1700.

I would like to note that all three categories can work together to make quality events. Whereas I feel I fit most comfortably in the 2nd group, I hate entertaining the public, so I am glad that group exists to fill that need.

Lastly, my bias is for group 2, because I feel a historical pirate can fit into either of the other groups successfully; whereas, that does not work in reverse. There are movements afoot (and several have already happened) where the entire event is set up as a historical event, so it really helps to be “authentic”.

My take would be that 80% of the groups out there are Fest Pirates, 15% are entertainers, and Historical Pirates make up about 5%.

So, decide where you might best fit in and re-ask the question ie “Do you know if there are any entertainer type groups in my area?” and we may have some ideas.

Greg aka GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

As a gentle reminder, being a proponent of your School of Thought the Second, I would like to point out we are every bit as interested in having fun as those of the festival school.

The main differences between these schools of thought are, as I see them:

• the types of venues played (festival vs historical site vs wherever a gig might land them)
    clothing standards (historical vs hollywoodical)
    what is done (improv vs reenacting vs music)

I am painting these with a broad brush. And as Greg points out, there is alot of overlap. In my time, I have sung shanties at a Whydah exhibit, played a historical part in a street festival, and toted guns in a reenactment.

With that, I will say this. I believe things have changed in recent years. More and more historical sites are looking for quality reenactors, and coming to the realization that not everyone who claims to be a pirate reenactor has anything to do with history.

Thus, I suppose one could say there are pirate actors, pirate reenactors, and pirate entertainers. Though I don't like that last label (nor any label for that matter), because hopefully the public finds all of us entertaining!

:blink: Because the bottom line is, at the end of the day, doing whatever we do, we need to make the people who own the site happy so we are asked to come back another day.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Well said Blackjohn!

Though I am a pirate entertainer (as I play instruments and sing) I have increasingly become fascinated with the historical side and finding it just as fun, albeit in an entirely different way. Plus, it's easier to do fantasy gigs with historical gear than the other way around. So I would recommend erring on the side of historical. For many of us that's a lifelong pursuit. You don't have to start out perfect - just learn as you go and change things as you find you what's right and what's wrong and as budget allows.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com