Historically... burning out?

Ok, honestly, if I was in your shoes, I'd stop doing pirate. Why? Because, as they say, it's all about "location, location, location." You are stuck in Germany with just about zero pirate action, either historically or by way of reenactment. If I was stuck in Germany, I'd have no problem switching to my first love - ROMAN! Or my second love - Seven Years War! Or to my third love - War of the Spanish Succession!!!

Those all rock, every bit as much as pirate. With Roman, you have the whole brilliant world of Roman academia! It's freakin' huge! You have fun researching pirate? Try researching Roman! People actually write stuff about Romans! You can't walk down the street without tripping over a Roman textbook! (well, compared to the number of scholarly books about pirates, this is true) And there is a whole whopping great Roman reenacting world out there, so groups exist in your (general) area!

SYW... hey, I don't know if anyone or how many reenact it over there, but it is a viable alternative here to Rev and Civil war. The kit is every bit as cool as pirates... and you get to use that 1742 model hanger and not get called on it!

:blink:

WotSS... the best unknown "cool" (not that I advocate war) war around! Better than SYW because this is GAOP! Next to no groups out there doing it. You can lead the way! AND still help out the pirate types because it is the same era! Best of both worlds!

Just thoughts my friend, worth what you paid for 'em...

:)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Having thought on this some more, I am mistaken. It's all about time and place.

Twenty years ago, if I was in Germany, I'd be doing Roman.

Ten years ago, I'd be doing Total Death Hussars.

Today, given the amount of time and effort I'd put into the study of the early 18thC, I would be doing my best to get some sort of War of the Spanish Succession Association running. In fact, I would've started on it a couple of years ago. Did anyone reenact the 300th of the Battle of the Schellenburg? I doubt it. Blenheim? Not that I know of. Ramillies? I think maybe a couple.

Do you know what is left? A few small battles celebrating their 300th, and two of the largest battles fought in Europe - Oudenarde and Malplaquet. You have one year and a half to plan Oudenarde, annd get the 200,000 reenactors needed. You have until September '09 to gather the 200,000+ needed for Malplaquet, one of the bloodiest battles of the era.

Seriously. If I was in Germany, or anywhere in Western Europe, instead of spending the last bunch of years doing pirates, I'd be all over this.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Aye...location.

I am in Northern Utah. The combined pirate history of this state is exactly 0. Sometimes this makes it very hard for me to maintain my enthusiasm. I'm forced to live vicariously through the photos, stories and music posted on the Pub.

I may need to get into a few Mountain Man events.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Why did God invent buccaneers? So we have something to study when we get burned out on pirates.

:)

I thought that's why God invented pirates. So we had something to study when we got burned out on buccaneers. :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Actually there is a blossoming WoSS community in Europe, loosely federated under the Marlburian Association. I know there are folks in Germany, France, the Netherlands, Czech Rep., Russia, and Scandinavia, as well as the UK and Ireland.

And yes, Blenheim was commemorated.

blin19.JPG

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

For You GOF

Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.

~Herman Melville

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I often get burned out. I've been piratin for 30 years, at least in my head and heart, if not in some festival. It becomes discouraging, naturally, when you really try to do the thing authentically, and it seems that no one else cares. BUT, even with going to a "pirate fair", and everybody still says "me lord and lady", and you feel like they just got of the renaissance circuit, and decided they might make some money on this pirate thing, every once in a while you see a friend that's pirate all the way, and you feel better. I do find myself sitting with my books, researching things that seem like a parroting of Johnson's, with the same pictures, same quotes, etc. A couple of weeks ago, I found an original copy of the Act for the More Effective Suppression of Piracy 1700 and bought it for 35.00! It gave me a huge shot in the arm. Listen, I've been drinking rum, and I'm not sure where this is going, but I hate to hear the "old timers" or "hard core" filibusters get discouraged. It's true, that I'm older than any pirate has a right to be, but it's what I have left to reenact, and I still love the hell out of it. Sometimes, I slip into the movie pirate mode, but it's by choice, just to have fun--- but I know I've got the real stuff at home. I'd better sign off and see if young Hawkins can slip me another noggin. BB

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Greg,

Just take a break from it...as long as you need, but do come back to us. We need you, brother. :) :lol::lol:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

• 3 weeks later...
Hawkins...I had to laugh when I saw the title GOR...I used to read them when I was in High School. I think I got up to 12 or 13. How many did you read? LOL what a flashback!

All of them. a couple of times. There's quite a community of Goreans out there.

Hawkyns

:mellow:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I freely admit that I have been fascinated by Pirates and Nautical Lore since I was six years old, and although I still love the topic dearly I have from time to time found it very useful to take a break or two from these topics every now and again.

You have a great website GoF, and some great work invested in it. Why not just leave it up static the way it is, and take some time to refresh? That is the best thing about studying history: It already happened, so it will still be there waiting for you when you come back to it.

REMEMBER:

Even the hardest worked crews were granted shore leave every once in a while! :lol:

Good Luck,

The Pirate King

www.ThePirateKing.com

http://www.ThePirateKing.com

Over 180 online biographies of Pirates, Privateers, Explorers, & Buccaneers, along with loads of historical information on Sailing, Shipwrecks & Nautical Archaeology

Why not take some time to refresh? That is the best thing about studying history: It already happened, so it will still be there waiting for you when you come back to it

That's the best thought on this topic that I've ever heard! :lol:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"