Boat hooks and boarding axe

William Brand

A close friend of mine makes custom knives and swords and I have decided to commission a boat hook and a boarding axe. I need some pictures of period boat hooks and boarding axes. I'm less concerned about whether they are French or English, German or Italian. I just need some good solid examples that are pre-1705 if possible, though I could use something as late as 1720. Dorian Lasseter has been kind enough to find me some already, but I want to view as much range in design as possible. The more examples, the better Mike can recreate one for me.

Thank you in advance.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

i059DF585-A1B2-4818-A22B-05EBC4820981.jpg

i7EAF8F30-C9CE-4DCB-8141-2CCF0668945E.jpg

From that museum down south. Belt hook starts inside the axe head and is screw fastened. The head is held on by two "tangs" that form a rounded over "T" shape on top of the axe head before continuing down inside the axe head, then extending down to be fastened to the front and back of the handle. The hole through the head seemed to be square. Sorry no more detail is available, but it was inside a glass case and I was trying to be sneaky. I don't recall the date, either.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Do you have 'Borders Away, with Steel?' I can make copies of the pertinent parts if you don't.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I'll make copies and scan them. Hopefully I'll be able to send them to you tomorrow.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Boat hooks are fairly simple and really didn't evolve much. If you got for something with a small spike and a hook you can't go far wrong.

88584130.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

For boat hooks, is there any comments or evidence to whether they were split socketed, or cone socketed?

It's not a cruicial issue for me, but a little detail I am curious about...

To make sure I am being clear as to the terms I am using, both sockets are essentially the same, but the split socketed term denotes that the socket has a split running the length of the socket to allow for easier cinching of the metal to the wooden shaft.

Michael_banner.jpg

William,

Probably won't get it done today, but I haven't forgotten you. PM me with your email so I don't eat up the bandwidth by posting right here on the pub.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum