Period fencing swords

Here are some places to pick up proper fencing swords. Has anyone perchased from them?

Popinjays

http://www.popinj.com/smallswords.htm

Zen Warrior

http://www.zenwarriorarmory.com/

R11 is like a small sword and R 8 would be good for the Spanyard or Italian,

For the single stick. Purple Heart offers them at $42

here is the link:

http://www.woodenswords.com/WMA/singlest.htm

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

I've not personally bought from any of these...

But, I have heard of the first two (Popinjays and Zen Warrior), both have a good reputation (from what I have heard), but I have heard more good things about Zen Warrior than the other...

As for woodenswords, do they even carry anything other than wooden swords? Not very period looking in my opinion... Great for SCA style stuff, but probably not the best choice for a more Living History environment.

I've been looking into getting a safe fencing blade for this era as well, as well as some others, there is a thread called "A Functional Cutlass" in the Plunder section of this forum that has some other links and options... Although some of the links and swords mentioned in the other thread are sharps, there are many references to fencing or combat safe blades.

Good luck in your hunt, and please do share your thoughts on whatever you do decide on! :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

I am no expert by far, but I was under the impression that single stick was a rather common pasttime during the GAoP.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I am no expert by far, but I was under the impression that single stick was a rather common pasttime during the GAoP.

The earlier form of Single-stick, called Cudgel was a popular pastime in the 1700s, but noramally land-based and predominantly Irish; the object being to beat your opponent about the head (the only legal target) until an inch of blood was seen to run. Singlestick, as the gentlemanly substitute for sabre practiced by retired officers and prize-fighter, came more into vogue in the late 1700s and early 1800s.

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Sorry there was a bit of a misunderstanding on my part with regards to the wooden swords as well...

Reading through the description of the wooden swords, I saw the word "rattan", and automatically assumed they were designed and made for SCA use, and did not even think of singlesticking, which is what you were referencing.

My apologies for not reading more thoroughly. :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

Oh, no apology needed, sir. My first reaction, when I first read of single-stick (during a google search for public domain cutlass drills) was "that looks like bloody SCA gear!"

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Oh, no apology needed, sir. My first reaction, when I first read of single-stick (during a google search for public domain cutlass drills) was "that looks like bloody SCA gear!"

Very few sources exist for true cutlass drills, the most popular being Angelo's; but even those (as most cutlass drills are) was based on sabre and highland broadsword. There are a number of texts dealing with sabre and singlestick of the 1800s on the web. Those are a great source for drills, but NOT for combat. Keep in mind there is a difference. Cutlass is not a proper weapon and its methods are not restricted to what you can do in drills or is a fencing salle. In short, its actually a hell of a lot of fun!

Check this site for more info:

www.HistoricalMaritimeCombat.com

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Thank you! The recommended reading list alone looks priceless!

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Single stick fighting was a popular "Sport" during the 18th and 19th Century.

In order to win, you had to draw "More than an inch" of blood on your opponents head.

It is not clear weather that means to cause a split or wound greater than an inch in length, or to cause a trickle of blood of that length.

Of course that is not really a safe option for re-enactment, we practice a safer alternative.

The two opponents take up a fighting stance opposite eachother, at a distance

that means that they can score a torso hit on eacother. The object of the fight is to cause your opponent to move his feet.

If you are looking for smallswords, Smiling Fox Forge Have quite a good selection. The blades are fencing blades, but the last time that I contacted them, they were willing to sell the hilts seperately, so you could get a more suitable blade from someone like Zen Warrior, and fit it yourself.

Or if you're doing Regency era reenactment you can play the "knock your opponent's top-hat off" rules, eh Paul... :huh:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

yes Ed,

And if you hace no problem with the risk of clouting your opponent across the side of the head, you will probably win. And then we would be back to the "Inch of blood rule"

I am trying to recall where I read about the inch of blood, I am not sure If I remember it correctly, It may be two or even three inches.

Anyone out there who knows the answer to this?

yes Ed,

And if you hace no problem with the risk of clouting your opponent across the side of the head, you will probably win. And then we would be back to the "Inch of blood rule"

I am trying to recall where I read about the inch of blood, I am not sure If I remember it correctly, It may be two or even three inches.

Anyone out there who knows the answer to this?

I'm pretty sure there's a description of a single stick match in the Vale of Pewsey in "Tom Brown's Schooldays", perhaps it was there?

And no, I have no problem with clouting you round the head... after all, you did beat Flash... :huh:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk