Mythbusters busting pirate myths?

Cap'n Pete Straw

During tonight's 4-hour marathon of "Mythbusters" episodes (on the Discovery channel), they have been showing teasers of upcoming 2007 new episodes. Several of the upcoming "myths" (I can only assume these are from the same episode) deal with pirate themes.

Two clips they have shown thus far are as follows:

(1) To validate (or disprove) that pirates faced greater danger from splinters propeled from cannonball impacts rather than from the actual cannonballs themselves. In the brief teaser footage they aired, they clearly showed extreme potential damage by nasty wooden splinters impaled into a test board from a cannonball. The teaser worked: I am extremely excited in seeing the entire test.

(2) I started a commercial break by making a sandwich (sorry to not have been alert), but it appeared that they also tested whether eyepatches were actually worn to keep one eye night-sensitive for heightened vision in total darkness. The idea is that when night-vision was needed, the "prepared" pirate in question would close the unpatched eye, and uncover the "protected" eye to gain immediate strategic advantage over the un-prepared foe. Again, the brief teaser footage aired showed that this effect was, in fact, quite valid (the volunteer was able to accomplish a complicated task in an extremely darkened room simply by favoring his previously patched eye; in contrast, a control subject required much more time groping blindly in the dark).

I have no other information on when this specific episode will air, but "Mythbusters" airs on Wednesday nights on the Discovery Channel. I think it may be worth watching your local lsitings.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

During tonight's 4-hour marathon of "Mythbusters" episodes (on the Discovery channel), they have been showing teasers of cannonball impacts rather than from the actual cannonballs themselves.

Did you see them fuse the two mini balls? That was pretty cool...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

... it appeared that they also tested whether eyepatches were actually worn to keep one eye night-sensitive for heightened vision in total darkness. The idea is that when night-vision was needed, the "prepared" pirate in question would close the unpatched eye, and uncover the "protected" eye to gain immediate strategic advantage over the un-prepared foe.

So, what, the pyrate would fight his enemy with one eye closed?

Closing one eye gives you severely reduced peripheral vision as well as distorted depth perception - neither of which is exactly useful in a fight.

I understand the need to preserve night vision - but would that really be a valid method?

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

[..] they also tested whether eyepatches were actually worn to keep one eye night-sensitive for heightened vision in total darkness.

That's a load of bull.

I am required to wear an eyepatch by advice of my doctor, and let me assure you, it is nothing you'd ever want to go to battle with voluntatrily. After a few days, you lose every sense of depth perception and this sense is vital for any hand- to hand or artillery action.

Give it a try yourself. Wear an eyepatch for a few days and try to perform even the simplest tasks like eating in a restaurant (i.e. at a table with whose dimensions you are not accustomed to). But you'd better not be driving with that eyepatch, or things would get real nasty. :lol:

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

I love Mythbusters but I don't watch TV on a regular basis; I'll have to look up the air date for this one and mark it on my calendar.

Now that my oldest son is 12 he likes watching it with me. Blowing things up is seriously cool. :lol:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I don't think I've ever seen an uncool episode of Mythbusters, and this sounds very exciting! Looking forward to the episode!

Dunno about the eyepatch myth... it's possible they may find that briefly covering one eye lends some assistance in night vision. When I was in basic training many many years ago, they taught us to close one eye when firing flares or doing something that would cause a flash... but that was to avoid momentary flash blindness in both eyes. I think Capn_Enigma is right that over a longer period of time it would actually have a detrimental effect.

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

[..] they also tested whether eyepatches were actually worn to keep one eye night-sensitive for heightened vision in total darkness.

That's a load of bull.

I am required to wear an eyepatch by advice of my doctor, and let me assure you, it is nothing you'd ever want to go to battle with voluntatrily. After a few days, you lose every sense of depth perception and this sense is vital for any hand- to hand or artillery action.

I didn't see the outcome of the eyepatch test? What did the mythbusters conclude unless you can't post the spoiler here...

I never heard that myth about the eyepatch being worn to enhance night vision in pirate lore or any lore.

Children being treated for amblyopia wear eyepatches to help strengthen the eye that is not functioning properly. In these cases, the patch does help strengthen the weaker eye(olden days called Lazy eye)but it's actually tricking the brain into using the weaker eye.

And I am all for kids being allowed to wear pirate eyepathes for this( or any design for that matter) to help the child get thru the time it takes for the eye to improve.

So the eye doctors can give out pirate patches instead of safety suckers! LOL

kttcsignature.jpg

As to the eye patch I know of one thing that is somewhat related.

When working on stage under bright lights, just before the lights come up or as they go down, it helps to close your eyes for a moment or two before moving. Makes it much easier to see.

Dunno about the eyepatch myth... it's possible they may find that briefly covering one eye lends some assistance in night vision. When I was in basic training many many years ago, they taught us to close one eye when firing flares or doing something that would cause a flash... but that was to avoid momentary flash blindness in both eyes. I think Capn_Enigma is right that over a longer period of time it would actually have a detrimental effect.

Night vision, yes...avoiding flash blindness, yes...and yes, a pyrate patch looks cool on a kid (or an adult) -

-but I still maintain that for actual hand-to-hand fighting, you're at a decided disadvantage. As part of my martial arts training we did both dark-room (no lights at all) and one-eyed fighting (eyepatch), and let me tell you that it's almost impossible to keep your bearings.

Don't believe everything TV tells you. :D

~ Vegetius

-but I still maintain that for actual hand-to-hand fighting, you're at a decided disadvantage. As part of my martial arts training we did both dark-room (no lights at all) and one-eyed fighting (eyepatch), and let me tell you that it's almost impossible to keep your bearings.

Don't believe everything TV tells you. ;)

I can easily second this... with one blind eye, tis hard to even light yer pipe, judging distance, even up close, is a nightmare sometimes... fighting with one is even harder...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Closing or covering an eye when going from a lighted room and then to a darken area or outside in night is a common practice. When I was in the navy, submarine service, we'd use red lens goggles up to about an hour before going on watch as look outs when doing a surface transit at night. Also, when we were at periscope depth we'd darken the control room so that we could see easier when doing observations.

so, I think that using an eye patch to help aid in the vision at night while stalking another ship or something would be plausible (as they say in Mythbusters).

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

Who said anything about "Fighting" with an eyepatch on folks?

It would make sense for nightvision yes. But unless those of you forget to separate your fact from fantasy, there weren't epic sword duels everyday.... so to say that it wouldn't work for a fight is a moot point.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

If we're going to start seperating fact from fantasy hows about looking for some evidence that pirates did wear eyepatches at all? ;)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

It would make sense for nightvision yes.  But unless those of you forget to separate your fact from fantasy, there weren't epic sword duels everyday.... so to say that it wouldn't work for a fight is a moot point.

The original poster did.

...The idea is that when night-vision was needed, the "prepared" pirate in question would close the unpatched eye, and uncover the "protected" eye to gain immediate strategic advantage over the un-prepared foe...
(my bolding)

So if Patrick did indeed mean that the pyrate would remove the patch prior to meeting a foe, then it isn't a moot point for discussion.

~ Vegetius

As I said, I missed the premise of the teaser spot (busy making a sandwich), so I did not hear the phrasing of the myth.

The concept was not to cover the eye for days (okay, that would be just pure stupid) but for hours or perhaps minutes, and only to give someone the advantage of temporary enhanced night vision (admittedly monocular). You must admit -- in an otherwise fair fight, if you have the use of only one eye, you should be able to defeat someone who is blind. Advantage, not superpower.

They devised a good experiment (obstacle avoidance and treasure hunting -- but not fighting), and proved a point, but this was only to "bust" or confirm a myth. Again, I am sorry but I did not hear what the "myth" was supposed to be, or where the alleged myth started, etc. I make no claims as to any ... er...claims.

I recommend everyone watch the show (I will post the date of the broadcast when I learn anything new) and then everyone can argue their alleged myths, experimentaal methods, and anything else.

And I heartily agree: More Kari Byron! Pick your personal favorites, but I think she is the best looking woman on television.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

It would make sense for nightvision yes.

Night vision for what? Battles (and especially sea battles) were conducted in broad daylight. Reality check, folks, this is not "Master And Commander".

The only reason why one would want to have enhanced dark adaption is when descending below decks on a bright sun day. But it is rather silly to presume that someone would voluntarily wear an eyepatch for that reason. All other applications (except for the original one, i.e. the partial loss of eyesight) would greatly reduce the sailor's effectiveness due to loss of depth perception.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Nightvision for spotting objects or the like, not for combat. Maybe a nice safe cove or port that isn't lit.

How about a myth about piercing one's ears to give them better eyesight. That at least is a period myth.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

How about a myth about piercing one's ears to give them better eyesight. That at least is a period myth.

Care to share the evidence for that? :rolleyes:

And I gotta say, I'm with Enigma on the eyepatches. There's no advantage to wearing an eyepatch that isn't heavily outweighed by the disadvantages. And again... what evidence do we have that pirates did wear eyepatches?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Evidence? No... but that's what makes it a myth. That seagoers would believe a certain way of piercing the ears enhanced the eyesight.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

I think Foxe is looking for evidence that that is actually a period myth. There is question (or seems to be, this isn't my area) as to whether pirates actually wore earrings or whether this is just an image from popular fiction.

Ropework_Header.jpg

I always heard that pirates would wear such jewelry because it represented a last ditch amount of money. But I dunno about the eyesight thing... ask Captain Twill about that. I always heard that it was so, but also a seaman's myth.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

Aye, Morgan has the right of it. I was not questioning whether it actually worked, but whether it was a period myth.

The Captain Twill consensus is more or less that there's no evidence of pirates wearing earrings particularly in the GAoP at all, and no reason that they might have done so other than fashion at other times. :)

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk