POTC2 is top movie of 2006

Capn_Enigma

The theatrical box office might be under siege, but it fought back and actually gained some ground in 2006. As the box office year, which will conclude with the New Year's holiday weekend, winds to an end, the total national tally is headed toward an estimated $9.42 billion, which would represent an increase of nearly 5 percent compared with 2005's $8.99 billion.

Certainly, records were set along the way: The biggest cheers surrounded the record-breaking opening of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," which set both an opening-day and single-day record of $55.8 million when it bowed July 7, supplanting the mark established a little more than a year earlier, when "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith," debuted to $50 million on May 19, 2005.

"Dead Man's Chest's" opening weekend of $135.6 million also supplanted "Spider-Man's" $114.8 million record set in 2002. It also took just two days for "Dead Man's Chest" to pass the $100 million mark, another first.

Read more.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

It is the best movie of 2006, at least imo. I had no interest to see other movies in 2006 and I probably will only see AWE this year.

But the sad thing is, I don't see a whole bunch of nominations being mentioned. I don't like the way the awards are divided out, since there can be many movies that are worth being labeled "movie of the year" regardless of the amount of sales.

Johnny Depp has a very good attitude about awards which I think earns him more respect than, let's say, a Tom Cruise, who had a very bad temper tantrum when he wasn't nominated and Johnny was. Funny ol' world, innit? :lol:

kttcsignature.jpg