The Pub and Life in 2006

Rumba Rue

Well as I bring this year to a close with a nasty cold which will follow me into the New Year, there's things that have happened this year here at the Pub and in my personal life that I have labeled as a transitory year of regaining myself.

Being forced out of a pirate group of which I had been a member of for 13 or 14 odd years due to someone's jealousy caused me to look within myself and come out of it a better person. I'm now in a real non-profit group...yes the rules are very stringent, but the people are great (Pirates of Treasure Cove).

I've been here at the Pub for now going on 5 years (basically just a couple weeks after it premiered here on the Internet), I think three or 4 of which I have been a Moderator.

I've taken a huge cue from Iron Bess and have tried very hard to remain diligent as a Moderator, yet let people have their way...unless of course there's a problem and I had to step in.

The problems here at the Pub are not unlike many other sites I travel to, but I admit the spamming is totally out of control. I know the Administrators have tried to stop it, but have failed. More drastic measures will have to be taken in order to stop it...that remains to be seen.

The old argument of the purists of historical costuming vs. the people who just want to have fun, has reared it's ugly head periodically through this year, and just recently.

I for one, would like to end it. Let people be and let them do what they want (remember these Ren-faires and pirate events never happened in real life of the time periods . If people want to do it correctly fine, if they don't they shouldn't be put down and vice-versa.

In my personal life, my longtime companion of 12 years going on 13, gave me a beautiful marquis diamond ring on my birthday to lead somewhere in the future to a wedded bliss.

Sadly though in my personal life, my physical body has changed and is in the process of be broken down. I haven't mentioned what's happened to me publicly and only Iron Bess and Mad Jack have been privy to what's happened, simply because I didn't want people feeling sorry for me.

The fact that I am now having to use a scooter to get around because I can no longer stand or walk for long periods of time, tells only part of the story.

I have been diagnosed with a collapsed vertebrae in my back and severe osteoporosis and arthritis in my low back and hips. It remains to be seen if the vertebrae situation can be fixed.

I have also had three bouts of collapsing within the last couple of months for seemingly no apparent reason and feeling very ill. A host of blood tests on me only came back with my cholesterol is high - that wouldn't cause me to collapse. So I went cold turkey on all medications I take for depression. As it turns out that is in fact where the problem lies as far as I can tell, I was just over-medicated.

I can tell when my attitude goes downhill, and it's happened now, so I've started back on one particular medication in hopes that it will even me out.

In the meantime I've done a huge amount of work for Pub members (thankfully with the help of Gentleman of Fortune- Greg, who has been in the wings to guide me to the right words to use) to get the Secret Santa idea up and running and now the Pen-pal thing for members.

To Mad Jack, who has become a true and honest friend for life, you have helped me in more ways than one, and I hope someday to meet you and your lovely wife, Janelle. :o

To the rest of you, you have become my 'family' and inspire me to be here virtually almost every day, I thank you for putting up with my mistakes, blunders, and Blue Ribbon moments of foot-in-mouth awards. Proving I'm not perfect, and guess what? I don't want to be! :lol:

So here's to 2007, may it be better! :P:huh:

Rumba, I wish the members here understood the amount of work to put into making the Pub the success it is. Without you, this would all collapse like a house of cards. And know that I'm always here for you and Boats, and always will be. You're welcome in our home any time you want to drop in. B) :)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

You are a godsend here at the pub Rumba. As well as a friend. I hope 07 treats you as well as you deserve and my best wishes for the coming year.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

I hear ya Rumba on the sick part, I caught the stomach flu that was going around. Hit my whole family by Christmas Day and then I got it, joy of joys! Not as bad as before, but I'm just going to take it easy tonight.

Thanks for all the help you've done with the pub and with most recently the Secret Santa. I'm also sorry to hear of things not going well for you on a personal level. I really do hope things get better and nothing gets worse. Good to hear tho things are still going well with you and your long-time partner. Glad he's there for you. B)

Have a Happy New Year, all the best to you Rumba and everyone on the board! B)B)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

All good wishes for you in the New Year, Rumba. A member of my writer's group, (male) is going through the same issues with his back that you are - only he's been dealing with it for about 10 years. He continues on with great courage, and even though he had to move from our area back to California to be with his family, and is in a lot of pain, he continues to write and e-mail us chapters of his book. Granted, this man is in his late 60's early 70's ( I don't know his exact age-never asked), but he still maintains a sense of humor.

I hope your health issues improve, and you have my prayers that they will. You and GoF handled the Secret Santa experiment wonderfully well, and I am sure it will become a Pub tradition. Just one more example of how much you do for all of us here at the Pub.

Huzzah...huzzah...huzzah! :P

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Well, I'd say yer in darned good shape fer the shape yer in! :lol:

All that goin' on and the moderatin' and all the work ye do fer us pikers in th' Pub . . .talk about a full plate!

All I can say is Thank ye fer everything, and may the new year hold plenty of blessings on ye. Th' Pub wouldn't be the same without Rumba Rue!

Happy New Year and Gud blessi thig!

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

I'm with Captain Jigme on joining the pub being one of the highlights of 2006. It was a crappy year. I thank you Rumba for all you do here and for always seeming up in spirits. I never would have guessed you'd gone through so much. I have been around those type of lengthy ailments (though thankfully not to my own person) and you have my full empathy. I wish wellness and good days for ye. Ye deserve it for bringing good days to us here at the pub!

HAPPY NEW YEAR and wishes for the best to all - Jenny :lol:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

thanks for all the work you do here, Rumba! I think you do an awesome job with all the things that come up, and still manage to make it fun.

If I can be of service let me know, and good luck with 2007!

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

You, your courage, strength, stamina and love for life are a role model for us all. You are a inspiriation, Thank you.

Deanna

Missed that last plank walkin'? Well, don't worry mate, get one of these here hidden clocks. Pin it on, flip it down and be right on time to see that scurvy dog go down!

Pillagers%20badge1.JPGwww.ClipClocks.com Many themes to choose from!

Rumba, my love, you honor me beyond words. You are an amazing and wonderful friend. You and Boats are welcome in my and Janelle's home any time at all.

You have helped me through some very rough, very bizarre situations. Thanks to you, I'm even more spiritually centered and focused. And shielded. 'Nuff said. :lol:

My world is richer with you in it, Rumba. And all of us, to a person, is better off for you touching our lives. Thank you for everything. :)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Rumba, I hope the New Year will prove to be better for you, and my thoughts and prayers are with you concerning your health. The Pyracy Pub sure makes a lot of people happy, myself included, and you are part of the reason for that. Thank you so much! :huh:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

• 2 weeks later...
RUE,

IT'S NO SECRET WHAT FOLK THINK OF ME AROUND HERE, SO I WANNA MAKE IT PUBLIC WHAT I THINK OF YOU!

AIN'T TOO MANY LASSIE HAVE THE GAUL TO TELL OL' BLACK JACK TA F*** OFF! BUT I LOVE THE WAY YOU DO IT! 

HAPPY 2007 MATE!

BLACK JACK

Ol' BLACK JACK SHALAQ! Aren't you a sight for sore eyes. Where in the hell have you been hidin' out? Tis' good to see a mate once and awhile to stir up the waters. Don't be such a stranger. I am happy to see the infamous BLACK JACK SHALAQ come back from the dead. I still owe ya that drink.

signature4.jpg]