B - Small fids

C - Marlin spikes

D - Fid hammer

E - 2 large and 1 small serving mallet

F - Tarred whipping twine and hemp whipping twine

G - Codline for serving

H - Beeswax block

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Though not period, I thought a comparison of traditional vs modern implements might be interesting. These aren't in any way a complete set but it's what I had on hand while doing a couple of splices this morning. The rest of my gear is sitting at work I'm afraid.

Tools.jpg

A) The ubiquitous multi-tool. The knife, scissors, and pliers all get a regular workout.

B ) A sample piece of spliced line. This is 3/8" (was supposed to be 5/16" but I was sent the wrong material) Apex which is a dynema/polypropelene blend which is ultra-strong, low stretch, and floats. This particular line is part of a vang on a J24. The splice is a locking brummel.

C) Samson fids. Not my favorite implement for splicing but readily available, inexpensive, and functional. I also frequently use a tool similar to Brion Toss's splicing wand (not pictured).

D) Two pushers for the fids. The larger one is made by samson and while functional isn't great. The smaller I made out of an old antenna. That one is ideal for smaller lines.

E) Sharpie marker for marking measurements.

F) Typical long-D shackle. I guessing this one is a sea-dog. 1/4" pin.

G) Cheap tape-measure. A tape measure is a tape measure for this sort of work and I'd rather have a dozen cheap ones ready at hand than a good one I can't find.

H) Icepick. This is for getting in the tiny places I cant get with a normal spike (not pictured). Also useful for poking holes in canvas, leather, etc.

I) Needles. These are WM Smith reduced edge. Good needles are worth their weight in gold. More than any other general rope-work tool, these need to be of the best quality.

J) Little Ronstan becket single block, fixed loop eye.

K) Wooden fid, useful for a thousand purposes but used today to stretch the eye in the apex splice to work in that black plastic thimble.

L) Another splice I did today. 1/8" amsteel - an all dynema 12 strand. This is another locking brummel onto a harken microblock. This will be part of a jib cunningham system on a J24.

M) Whipping Twine.

Ropework_Header.jpg

Pat, do you mean the small dark item bottom right? That's a small serving mallet.

Seam rubbers and palms will be in the next thread "sailmaking tools" :P

The fid hammer I made myself (or at least constructed it myself), the rest have all been bought. Some of the bits I commissioned specially (like the iron bound fid), some are modern-made for traditional boaty types, others are genuine antiques either bought from or kindly donated by old seamen or their inheritors. The large dark serving mallet, for example, has a family provenance going back well into the 19th century - it was given to me by an old seaman who had been given it by his grandfather who in turn had been a seaman in the 1870s. A couple of the bits I've been lucky enough to get dockyard-surplus, as traditional rigging techniques die out the dockyards no longer need the gross of fids they've got in no.8 store...

Morgan, I'm very pleased you posted a comparison picture. I had thought about doing it but I do so little modern rigging that my tool collection is limited to a Swedish fid, an all steel spike, and a paint spatula I use for heat-sealing ends :P

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Sailmaking.JPG

As promised...

Palms, needles, linen thread, and two seam rubbers - one for working creases and one for working things flat.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

The larger needles are all ones I've picked up here and there, some came from ebay, some my friendly chandler found for me. I'm getting a nice turned needle case made, I expect I'll post pictures when it's done.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

THis is wonderful! Especially the comparrison! Thanks!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I just took a closer look at your palms. It looks like both are seaming palms. Is this correct? What are your thoughts on a roping palm? I have a couple of seaming palms but am wanting a roping one as the backside of my right thumb is typically cut or bruised from continuously heaving threads home.

Ropework_Header.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My own meager gear is not as nice as you guys', but here it is. I made it all myself, including the knife, which is patterned after a British military rigging knife. I carved the seam rubber from walnut, and the fid and knife handle are carved from mahogany. <_<

IM000443.jpg

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

• 2 weeks later...