Carpenters

Lots of action taking place around here. As always, these discussions get me thinking. As has been stated before, the ratio thing between those who dress on the high end and the common seamen is often out of balance. I'm taking my research into another area than purely Pyrate, and looking into tools and duties of the guys who fixed the holes and kept things in good repair; The Carpenters. (no not the Brother/Sister singers!)

This is what I did in the Navy as an HT and damage control snipe. This will be my course for bringing a seamans charachter to life. Some of the things we learned about shoring up damage to a ship under attack are the same methods used since ships set sail. In short, no fancy clothing for me this time around, I want working sailor for this era.

Tools! I live in Flea market heaven here in the Ozarks, and there are tons of handmade tools and very old ones to research and supply a chest with. I'll be looking for any info or photos of carpenters chests and tools. Hopefully I will get to go back to my forge soon as well and make some of my own.

Anyone have anything I can use for links? Thanx!

Bo

A bit early but there were a lot of carpenter's tools recovered from the Mary Rose (1545), and quite a few from the Barents expedition (1596). The Mary Rose ones should be available online (I'm too lazy to google for them myself), and I have photos of some of the Barents tools (adze blade, hand-drill, some chisel blades and a caulking iron) which I could make available if they'd be of use.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

http://www.essexshipbuildingmuseum.org/museum.html

You may wish to consider contacting the folks at the site above....

"Historic tools are another important part of the collection. The museum has collected more than 500 shipwright's augurs, adzes, planes and caulking tools, to name a few of the many types, which help inform the community of traditional Essex shipbuilding techniques."

" Preserving the history of the wooden shipbuilding industry, an integral part of the economy and culture in New England and the United States since the 1630s, the Museum maintains one of the best maritime collections in the region.

Museum projects have built or interpreted schooners, Chebacco boats, sailing lighters, dories and privateers. One of the last intact American fishing schooners, the EVELINA M. GOULART is currently being preserved and documented. Innovative, experiential educational programs teach concepts through a rich mix of content knowledge and hands-on activities for children, adults, seniors and educators from around the world.

Located in the heart of Essex, Massachusetts, the Museum is adjacent to an acre of land set aside in 1668 “for a yard to build vessels and employing workmen for this end” and is integral to the town's historic character, scenic vista and central river basin. Features include antique shipbuilding tools, photographs, documents, and exhibits portraying the shipbuilding industry. Tours include video presentations and hands-on activities. A gift shop offers ship plans, maritime books, and other nautical memorabilia."

The museum covers the 18th century and they may have some older pieces as well...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

There are a couple of pretty good books on the subject of old tools. The trick is finding the information that goes back far enough, since most tool collectors focus on the more recent "old".

My personal favorites are A Museum of Early American Tools by Eric Sloan and Ancient Carpenters Tools by Henry Mercer. I specifically like these because of the line drawings which make it easier when out at the flea markets to find pieces that can work for a period impression.

I look forward to seeing your tool collection!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Thanx again. Anything will help. I found my old training manuals from the Navy, and there is some info and illustrations back to the first Continental Navy of the 1770's. Some tools illustrtated as well. Not far enough back but it is still a step in the right direction. I'll try to post any really intresting finds as I go.

Bo