Dance in the GAoP

Lily Alexander

As I've been reading all the different topics on historical accuracy in clothing, weapons, music, etc., a subject that is very dear to me seems to be missing. I'm familiar with all the dance forms of the era (Pavane, Galliard, Minuet, Contra-Dances.......), however I'm wondering if there are any specific dances that would be appropraite for a GAoP reenactment. Besides the timeless grab & grop. B)

If anyone has any research or insight on where I can find more information, I'd appreciate it.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I just had a quick look through the source Kass quoted, and I recognize a great many of those dances...

I learned a great many of them at Pennsic.... and if I am connecting some unrelated dots in the correct manner, it seems that "English Country Dancing" is what is correct for the GAoP.. And if so, many SCA groups know and practice these dances despite the fact that they were created after the period the SCA generally covers.

And if I have connected the dots correctly, it would seem that I am already somewhat schooled in period correct dancing for the GAoP... Great for me, but on that note, the SCA would be a good way for anyone interested to learn those dances. I am not generally a big advocate of the SCA (nor do I naysay it).... I should just stop there before I put my foot in my mouth and just state that the SCA is a good place to learn English Country Dance.

Michael_banner.jpg

Yup, the SCA dances Playford although it entirely post-dates their period. 'Nuff said.

"English Country Dance" is generally what's correct for the period, Michael. Of course we have to be careful with that terminology. There are modern (20thc) English Country Dances -- dances combining steps from 17th century dances but in patterns that are not documentable to the 17th and 18th centuries. They're fun to dance. But they're not Black Nag or Hole in the Wall or Cuckholds A Row.

There are English Country Dance societies in some areas that have practice nights once a month or so. If you're interested in finding one near you, google English Country Dance in your local area. Or contact your local ballroom dance studio. Sometimes they know about the local English Country Dance groups.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Thank you for the links and info. They are wonderful resources.

My next question is, considering the width of exposure from so many different cultures, aside from the English influence, are there any other documented dances from other cultures? For example, Carribean, Spanish, Italian, etc.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

And if I have connected the dots correctly, it would seem that I am already somewhat schooled in period correct dancing for the GAoP... Great for me,

And for me!

I do believe that, after I am properly lubricated of course B) , I might have to contract you to teach me a few of these said dances. I have had a minor interest in them for some time but unfortunately the visual learner in me can not make heads nor tails of the written directions. Since, as I understand, you will be in attendance at RF2 come February, perhaps you could do me the pleasure of a lesson.

What say you sir?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

http://www.baroquedance.com/ Folks might find this of interest as well... she has social dancing as well as theater dancing from the period...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 1 month later...

I have FINALLY found the visual aid that I need to learn ECD. That only took a few months.

http://www.rivkinetic.org/flash/ecdflash.html

It remains to be seen if I get the "courage" :P to dance but at least I can add it too my knowledge.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

It remains to be seen if I get the "courage" :D to dance but at least I can add it too my knowledge.

Hee, hee! Sounds like you're a character out of "Sid Meier's Pirates!" Navigate the Main fearlessly, broadside and board ships, swordfight like Errol Flynn, sack towns with nary a scruple -- but you have to ...(gulp)... dance, too?

Seriously, though: most dance societies are thrilled to have you. They teach each dance right before doing it.

Also, a great majority of the dances are composed of the same basic elements (aka "figures"), just arranged in different orders. Learn a "set and turn single" in one dance, you can do it in all of them. You'll have a basic vocabulary of figures by the end of the first night.

If you can walk, you can dance. Literally. Go have fun. :D

• 3 years later...

Adding to this very old thread so as not to clutter up the files:

Is anyone interested in learning ECD with a period slant (rather than modern) in the Baltimore area? I have a core group that's on hiatus at a historic site northwest of Baltimore, and am hoping to re-start this season if there is sufficient interest. We're definitely organized around dances of the period (mostly doing Playford, with some later dances thrown in) and for those who are interested, I can teach baroque step technique.

I am also willing to consider teaching outside of the current location near Belair, MD, if you're not much further north.

YH&OS

Mistress Dobyns

More on dance possibilities:

For pirates interested in dance in Beaufort, this wonderful woman (check out the website for her book about sailing the Chesapeake) is offering an English Country Dance class on the first Saturday (at least, that's the schedule for now). I had some great conversations with her over the weekend and she is familiar with some of you already and has participated in Piracy oriented events in Beaufort.

http://www.susanschmidt.net/thebook.htm

There is contact info on her website if you want to find out details about the dance.

Mistress Dobyns

• 2 years later...

This is off on a bit of a tangent as regards the topic here, but I wanted to put the info out there because I thought it was interesting that our idea of having a Pirate Dance or Ball at an event is some sort of special thing whereas this suggests that dancing was fairly constant and common. It also gives some interesting suggestions on how to dance, even if you didn't know how! It is from Père Jean-Baptiste Labat's Memoires 1693-1705 (Translated from the original French by John Eaden, 1970):

"As all the crew were Provencaux [from Provence, a region in France - Labat was French] you may be sure that they had not forgotten the fife

__

and tambourine. You know that one man plays both instruments at the same time. The tambourine is fastened to his left side and is beaten with the right hand, while the fife is held and played with the left hand. One does not have to ask Provencaux to dance, so as soon as the fife and tambourine were heard every one came on deck, and I believe that this music would have cured an invalid among our crew had there been one. While some danced, others leaped about, and we had apprentices and young sailors aboard who could make the most celebrated rope-walkers look to their laurels [past achievements]." (Labat, p. 259-60)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Interesting - presumably that translation was not done by a musicologist, as in that context "fife and tambourine" would translate better as "pipe and tabor".

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk