Jaeger for GaoP?

Dixie Gun Works has a sale on its Jaeger rifle. It's the ancestor of the Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifle, and copy states that it's late 17th - early 18th century, putting it squarely in the GaoP. Would this be appropriate for a pirate persona? There were plenty of American colonists in the trade, and I think it would be cool to have a rifle where we usually see only muskets. Any thoughts?

Jaegers were brought to the colonies by Swedes and Germans during that time. They were highly prized for hunting for their accuracy, but as to a Pyrate weapon, I will leave that to those who are more familiar. So far I have found no mention of them in Esqemelin's or Defoes accounts, but that is as far as I have gotten in my reading. Time frame is OK, but sea service...?

Bo

Don't forget the re-loading time.... The ball is pounded down the barrel with a mallet and steel ramrod... It's not untill someone figures out to use a patched ball, that the Jaegar starts to turn into the Kentucky.....

I can't think of why a sailor or Pyrate would have one....

It would really be "stretching" it to say that a hunter/Buccaneer might have an obscure German gun..... They would appriceate the accuracy, but the re-loading time sux.......

JMR wrote:

Would this be appropriate for a pirate persona?

As Bo stated, there were plenty of immigrants to America from regions where the jaeger was used. We know areas where they settled were in regions (eg., PA) where pirates trafficked, and even consorted with the local politicos during the early part of our era.

However, does that make it appropriate? Probably not. The rifles existed. The pirates existed. But I know of no evidence linking the two, either historically or in the archaeological record. Doesn't mean it's not there, but if it is, I haven't seen it (though I will look).

There were plenty of American colonists in the trade, and I think it would be cool to have a rifle where we usually see only muskets. Any thoughts?

Plenty. I'm thinking about German colonies in the Caribbean? Nothing but failed attempts during the 1500s and the Duchy of Courland, which isn't really German per se, so not enough to provide an influx of jaegers to that region.

Immigration into North America during the era was... primarily farmers I would guess (just a guess, I'm not expert on Swiss/German immigration). Would farmers in a lowland bring with them rifles designed for use in rough terrain? Probably better off buying a plough or horses.

So, while it seems plausible to say "I am 'German' and I have this" I believe it is a bit of a stretch. And to some, that bit of a stretch is acceptable.

While neither a jaeger, nor a Hessian, nor even German, I will admit to an odd fondness for things Prussian, especially things during the reign of Frederick the Great, which is, for our purposes, a bit late, and I do think jaegers are very cool.

A couple items of interest that I've read. They were first employed as a martial arm by Norwegian ski troops in 1711. By the middle of the century (SYW), many Continental armies fielded jaegers. Jaeger rifles were rarely found with iron ramrods. The theory being an iron rammer would either deform the ball or injure the rifling.

Two schools of thought existed about loading. One was to use an over-sized ball, start it with a mallet, and seat it with the rammer. Slow, true. And again, the possiblity of deforming the ball existed. The other school of thought was first employed in the 1590s in central Europe. That was to use an under-sized, greased patched ball, and resulted in a much faster loading time.

Finally, tests in the 1950s conducted with a 1730s wheellock jaeger foun it to be more accurate than a newly manufactured Winchester lever action.

Wait, one last thing. I understand the "it's cool to be different" ideology. There are other firearms that are just as cool and just as different that are more appropriate to our period. You might want to contact someone such as John Buck at The Musket Mart for some ideas, or even have him build you one.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

:ph34r:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

... no mention of them in Esqemelin's or Defoes accounts...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrggghhhhh <runs off madly screaming into the distance> :o

:lol:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I was thinking more of the mention of Defoe rather than Johnson. Perhaps it's time for another Defoe v. Johnson thread :lol:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I'm getting there slowly Foxe. My resources for this material are limited to the public and campus library for right now. Just reading what's available here in redneck white-trash country. :lol:

When I get to buying books again, I can get more good stuff than just the edited crap I have at present.

But it is fun to agitate ya once in a while! :lol:

Bo

Bo ...don't poke the tiger! They bite!

Silkie... He ain't a tiger..... he's a Foxe...

:rolleyes:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org