Haversacks, Ditty Bags, Snapsacks and Wallets

William Brand

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry about it, William. As the boys said, it happens quite frequently! :)

You're okay... as long as you don't start calling one of them Kass! :rolleyes:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Foxe  Posted on Dec 28 2006, 03:48 PM

Well I'm 6'1"...

Amanjiria, the photo was taken at the Reenactors' Market at Coventry earlier this year.

Not to pull off topic here, but CRAP! Thats in the UK. I guess I won't be able to make it there for a awhile. Anything like that state side? Its hard to find decent patterned material here. I found a dicount fabric store and they have some stuff but I'd like to be more period with my fabrics when I can.

That was his "long, curly, dark hair and miniskirts" stage if I remember correctly... ohmy.gif

I'm a bit scared. I don't think I want to know. :lol:

Yes. We are drifting. Helm! Hard to Larboard, if you please.

I have been spending a little time every day going through paintings, especially still lifes of the period. I find that still lifes often show us great hunting pictures and house wares. These often contain little items such as weapons, bags, crockery and so forth. I have yet to find anything in the past few days that shows bags, but I am determined.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Not to pull off topic here, but CRAP! Thats in the UK. I guess I won't be able to make it there for a awhile. Anything like that state side? Its hard to find decent patterned material here. I found a dicount fabric store and they have some stuff but I'd like to be more period with my fabrics when I can.

Oh Jack... We went off topic long ago... ;)

There is a Reenactors' Market coming up in early February in Chicago. Here's the link to their website: Reenactor Fest

I can't promise you that they'll have the selection that TORM in Coventry did, but it's worth a look if you come North (although WHY you'd want to leave lovely Florida in February, I'll never know... :o )

There is also an expanding selection of fabrics on certain websites that will remain nameless. :o

I have been spending a little time every day going through paintings, especially still lifes of the period. I find that still lifes often show us great hunting pictures and house wares. These often contain little items such as weapons, bags, crockery and so forth. I have yet to find anything in the past few days that shows bags, but I am determined.

To make up for my contribution to this thread going WAY off-topic, here are a couple by Willem Aelst from the late 1660s.

deadbird.jpg

hunting.jpg

And a long gun and powder horn on a justacorps... ;)

weapons.jpg

And one by Deportes of himself. This one is 1699. I think there's a hunting bag near his feet...

selfport.jpg

kass  Posted on Dec 29 2006, 08:38 AM

(although WHY you'd want to leave lovely Florida in February, I'll never know... blink.gif )

For the snow of course! ;) We don't get thtat to much down here but seriously. I think I will be in cali for those dates this year. I will have to plan for next year. Thanks.

Wow those painting are gorgeous. Almost as good a photographs. You can see the texture of the fabric.

Great Pictures! A couple of comments: those are falconry still lifes. Note the hoods at the top of all three. Also, the "Art of Shooting Flying" (modern wingshooting) was in its infancy and hitting a moving sparrow with the wheellock pictured would be next to impossible. Falcons took the fowl more than likely. The hare in the self-portrait could have been taken with the gun pictured, however. Also, note that the horns are hunting horns, not powder horns. Great pictures.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I picked these to further illustrate Foxe's post about hawking bags. I presume those are all hawking bags since they're pictured with falcon hoods. Do you agree?

Hunting horns? Oh yeah... They would have to have bottoms to be powder horns, wouldn't they? :o

What do you want from me, Jim! I'm just a girl! ;)

Quiet Jack! :lol:

Bo, they could be either gaiters or boots. Desportes painted himself in the guise of hunter in this self-portrait. Hunters were mounted so it would not be out of the question for him to be wearing boots.

It's funny. I didn't find this painting in one of my clothing searches. I found it on a site for adopting retired racing greyhounds (I have two). It just so happened that it was dated 1699. :) You'll note the fawn-coloured boy in the foreground is a grey while the other is a bird dog of some type. Strange to be hunting birds with a greyhound. Maybe that hare was his contribution.

I'm looking at the straps.... cloth on one side... leather backed... and braid/ rope on the edge....... coool.....................

anyway.... is anyone interested in an article about how to make a sea bag. or ditty bag... (the only difference is just the size of the thing)......

If no one cares... then .... why bother......

I'm not saying it will be period..... but they do work... and "once apon a tyme" people wern't stupid... they made things that worked....

Patrick my goode man...

I do believe that is the intent of this thread!

I want a sea bag, a ditty bag, a snapsack, etc....

I had a nice canvas drawstring top bag I used to use... it died awhile back...

I have 'created out of necessity' other canvas bags as well... nothing fancy.

But..... I want, need, the nifty sailor's bags! and eventually a sea chest, and a ship to put it all in!

B)

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

and eventually a sea chest, and a ship to put it all in!

:ph34r:

Don't we all?! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Kass. I'm sorely tempted to duplicate that ornate clip on the bag.

William if you look for swivel clips for dragoon carbine slings, such as used by Am. Rev. War types you may be able to figure out how to weld two together to get that look....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Thank you, Kass.  I'm sorely tempted to duplicate that ornate clip on the bag.

William if you look for swivel clips for dragoon carbine slings, such as used by Am. Rev. War types you may be able to figure out how to weld two together to get that look....

I'm a sculptor actually with ties in the casting world...bronse, silver and the like, but that isn't a bad idea.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Well then if you were at least to get your hands on one to get size, ect, maybe that would be all you need... I'll check with dad and see if he still has any....

Crewe of the Archangel

• 2 weeks later...