Pictures

Edward T. Porter

I like those. Too bad on the non referencing. What are they tring to do to that persons leg? It looks like they are putting in a screw. Of course everyone sits nice and still to have their arm cut off. :huh:

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

I can't help you with the references, Bela, but from the clothing worn in these pictures, I'd place them no earlier than 1780 (except the one where they're cutting off the guy's arm) and some of them more likely early 19th century.

Good stuff... Thanks for sharing!

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

03.jpg

This one is Thomas Rowlandson, 1790s. The last two look like modern drawings to me.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Yes I was wondering.. the poor amputee looks none more than annoyed, and is apparently wearing some sort of surgical cap? Why would no one ele have one. I don't think they had these then? Gracious, looks painful!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

The book is called "Die Naturheilkunde der Seefahrer - Rezepte und Heilmethoden aus aller Welt", by Hademar Bankhofer.

It´s a book about shipboard/ seagoing medicine from ancient time till now.

It´s quite good to become an overview. It contains a large amount of recipes going from barber´s rash, seasickness, warts, arthralgia etc...

Is there one for the poor lad getting hit on the noggin with a chair? LOL

Seriously, there were a few questions in "TWILL" we had been discussing on various medical issues...perhaps when you come across any info pertaining to them you would be good enough to post an update?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Got something!

The second one is from the book "Chirurgenwerk" by Lorenz Heister.

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0823224.html

And that´s Lorenz Heister:

374px-Lorenz_Heister.jpg

A copperplate from Lorenz Heister´s book "De cataracta, glaucomate et amaurosi tractatio", Altdorf 1713, Universitätsbibliothek Erlangen-Nürnberg.

19gr.JPG

I SWEAR I have seen that first picture before. The fellow on the left is just too familiar.I'm now making myself nuts trying to track down where. I have this vague idea that it was from 1810? Something about a series of drawings of sailors at the time. There was another image where he was more central.

Ring any bells to anyone with a decient memory?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog