Made a Pocket Knife today

Patrick Hand

I saw an interesting post in the Muzzleloader Forum about friction Knives. A friction knife is basically a pocketknife with the knife blade, riveted to the grooved wooden handle; the blade stays open because of the tight fit " or the friction".

I have a bunch of high carbon steel kitchen knives that all have their tips busted off (I had a roommate that didn't know about can openers...) So I got out my grinder and started to make one.

Before anyone tells me about getting the blade too hot and destroying the temper... I took my time, and when the blade started to get warm, I'd let it cool....

The kitchen knives that I have, all have stamped lines along the blade, so I ground those off, I then re-shaped the tip (The tip has to "tuck" into the handle or it will snag and open in your pocket...)

I drilled the hole for the rivet, and then ground the back end.

If I had a polishing wheel, I could do a finer job of it, but it came out smooth enough...

The hardest part of the project is cutting the grove that the blade fits into... using a hand saw, I got the first part of it formed, then I used an Exacto knife and the ground off handle of the "old" knife to scrape the bottom inside edge...

I then whittled the handle to shape, sanded it, marked where the rivet hole should go, and drilled that.

The rivet is nothing more than a cut down nail. I fitted it through the handle, through a thin strip of brass (with a hole in it that acted as a washer so the blade would have a good tight fit), and then peaned both ends over.

Stained the wood, and when that was dry, I sharpened the blade...

I came out kinda nice..... Now I want to get a chunk of horn and make an even nicer one......

PocketKnife.jpg

Nice one. I can just imagine one with a bone handle and a little scrimshaw and possibly a bit of brass instead of the nail to hold the blade. It looks great as is, though.

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I can just imagine one with a bone handle

Something like these.....?

http://www.frayedknotarts.com/antiques.html

I want to make a few more.... maybe outta horn, or if I can find a thick enough chunk of bone, and maybe some outta apple wood (well there is an apple farm down the road that sells applewood for firewood..... )

Check out the rest of the site.... not exactly period for our time... but lots of good stuff......

Here is a great historic site for French folding knives and Boucheron knives

http://www.lanouvelle-france.com/

I am importing the Couteaux Capucin style. I have four models to choose from. More info to follow.

G.Godwin is selling very inexpensive Indian imports and a Canadian is making them in Stainless Steel.

My knives are carbon steel with the correct washer on the pins!

Cheers

Ed

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

Patrick, I have some large whitetail antler if you're intrested. I can photo what I have with measurements if you want.

Bo

Dang! I was going to offer the same. Only I was going to ask if you would be willing to make me one if I sent you enough white tail antler for at least two.

I am also planning on making some buttons with some of the antler. I'd be willing to share them with you also.

• 4 weeks later...
I saw an interesting post in the Muzzleloader Forum about friction Knives. A friction knife is basically a pocketknife with the knife blade, riveted to the grooved wooden handle; the blade stays open because of the tight fit " or the friction".

I have a bunch of high carbon steel kitchen knives that all have their tips busted off (I had a roommate that didn't know about can openers...) So I got out my grinder and started to make one.

Before anyone tells me about getting the blade too hot and destroying the temper... I took my time, and when the blade started to get warm, I'd let it cool....

The kitchen knives that I have, all have stamped lines along the blade, so I ground those off, I then re-shaped the tip (The tip has to "tuck" into the handle or it will snag and open in your pocket...)

I drilled the hole for the rivet, and then ground the back end.

If I had a polishing wheel, I could do a finer job of it, but it came out smooth enough...

The hardest part of the project is cutting the grove that the blade fits into... using a hand saw, I got the first part of it formed, then I used an Exacto knife and the ground off handle of the "old" knife to scrape the bottom inside edge...

I then whittled the handle to shape, sanded it, marked where the rivet hole should go, and drilled that.

The rivet is nothing more than a cut down nail. I fitted it through the handle, through a thin strip of brass (with a hole in it that acted as a washer so the blade would have a good tight fit), and then peaned both ends over.

Stained the wood, and when that was dry, I sharpened the blade...

I came out kinda nice..... Now I want to get a chunk of horn and make an even nicer one......

PocketKnife.jpg

Very nice. Patrick. Are you interested in making one for sale?

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• 5 months later...

I made two more friction knives in the last few days.... I should take a little more time to finish the blades a bit nicer.... but they do hold a good sharp edge... I dont know if the brass is period, but it keeps the wood from splitting when I pound in the rivet (used brass for that this time...)

2Knives.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

This isn't a pocket knife.... but I bought an old Chef's knife for $1.00 and ground down the blade into a more period shape......

knife-1.jpg

Now to make a sheath for it outta the weight lifter belt I bought for $2.00 .... kinda funny that the leather cost more than the knife....... ;)

• 4 years later...

Like the knife Patrick. I was just looking at pocket knives wondering if they were period, and as far as I can tell they are, Just don't know how common they actually were and if sailors of the day would have them. even so I think it is a novel Idea! I was wondering if you or anyone else happen to have any idea if the pocket knife was common in the GOAP.

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg