True Pyrates on History Channel

PyratePhil

As usual, the History Channel has a great premise for a show; they present the facts in an entertaining and educational fashion, complete with wonderful footage of skilled re-creators; then at the end of the show, they get preachy and claim how pyrates are basically scum of the earth or, as I believe they put it from a quote, "the enemy of all mankind".

To me, this is like having a group of scientists run a controlled and well-designed experiment all the way to the conclusion, only to present their summary as "although the data claim X, we believe it's really Y".

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice this?

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

Yep. Considering the show came out back in June or July we talked all about it. Search and you will find the discussions.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

aye seems dat way.....jus remeber hollywood couldnae get history nor science right if they walked up and booted em in the arse

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

As usual, the History Channel has a great premise for a show; they present the facts in an entertaining and educational fashion, complete with wonderful footage of skilled re-creators; then at the end of the show, they get preachy and claim how pyrates are basically scum of the earth or, as I believe they put it from a quote, "the enemy of all mankind".

To me, this is like having a group of scientists run a controlled and well-designed experiment all the way to the conclusion, only to present their summary as "although the data claim X, we believe it's really Y".

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice this?

Let's face it, a few years ago, there'd be nothing about pirates on TV,in books or magazines. All are riding the coattails of POTC movies and well, now's the time to do it.

Look at the increase of members in re-enactment groups and ren faires. It really is all positive despite being over-merchandized to death.

And since the History channel has put on pirate segments, my husband is quite interested in something else besides "first and goal to go" if you catch my drift! LOL

kttcsignature.jpg

I caught a little bit of this on Christmas Eve. Isn't that the same Christine from the Pub? AKA Jamaica Rose?

Aye that be she Jamaica Rose aka Christine Lampe. Also my fellow PRP mate Gail Selinger author of The Complete Idiots Guide to Pirates (of which I worked as a research assistant on) and Robert "Roy" C. Ritchie who is the head of the Research deaprtment where I work (the Huntington Library). They had very good people on this one.

The thing is I kept on seeing my friend Jerry Reyes in every scene of the re-enactment stuff. I kidded him as the immotratal undead pirate! :rolleyes:

When you see a burly Latino bald guy that's him. :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency