To Harness the Wind

Red Maria

While not strictly piratical nonetheless let's remember that pirates were sailors and that as such knowledge of all things maritime would behoove everyone one of us. This book just came into the library and it seemed a good one to read for all of us.

"To Harness the Wind: A Short History of the Development of Sails" by Leo Block Naval Institute press, 2003 ISBN 1557502099

Cover the History of sails from the first depiction of one (Egyptian vase 6000 B.C.E,) to modern racing sails. The book also touches on Chinese & South Pacific sails.

I am going to have it charged out to me after it's cataloged.

Looks like a interesting read.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

It does indeed sound like an interesting read, Red Maria.

You made a good point about pirates being sailors. Most piratical folk seem to be more oriented toward fantasy and Hollywood stereotypes (and there's nothing wrong with that), but if we're interested in a serious study of pirate history, we must realize that pirates were sailors first and foremost, and we must try to learn, and even learn to do, the things that were central to their daily lives.

I suspect the average pirate spent considerably more time wielding a working knife than he did a cutlass.

:)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"