New Article on Common Women

kass

Okay. Good question, Lilith. I should add this to the article. I should have said when women are depicted in a public setting with their hair down, they are meant to show a state of distress.

Mary of Modena (James II's second wife, right?) and Nell Gwyn (Charles II's mistress) are shown with their hair down in those portraits because they are "bedroom shots". In other words, the portraits were painted either as minatures for their lovers to carry around with them or as full-sized portraits for private enjoyment in their chambers. They are pinups. Their hair is down provocatively, to be sexy. If you look at their clothing in the portraits, they probably are wearing a loose and flowing wrap or something that looks like it's from ancient Greece or Rome -- definitely not clothing they would wear in public. It's a costume for the portrait. Think of them as the "naughty polaroids" of the time. :)

In other words, neither Mary nor Nell were walking down the street or going to court or attending a ball looking like that. No more than you would do so in your lingerie.

Hey Kass,

Any thoughts on what 'up-do's would be best??? for those of us skipping on the caps :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Depends on the year, Diosa, but most up-dos in this period are based on a general shape of lots of tight curls around the head with just a few long curls hanging down the back. Earlier (1670s-1680s) the curls were evenly distributed around the head. Around the turn of the century (1690s-1700s) the curls started to get higher on the top of the head and flatter at the sides, giving a vertical appearance that matched the overall verticalness of the fashions.

I don't have anything specific on hair on my site yet, but some of the illustrations of upper class women show what I mean.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Lady Kass

yer articles and information be greatly welcome and a hearty thanks to ye.

As to teh differnce between common women an wenches are the costumes interchangable or is it the way they are worn that makes the differnce? Trying to sort out what i need fer kit an such.

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Well, if by wenches, you mean serving girls in a tavern, there isn't a whole lot of difference between them and other common women. I don't think I've ever seen a period picture labelled "wench", so I don't quite know how to answer.

sorry kass

what i meant really to ask was what actully consistutes an outfit

under dress, bodice etc

and was there a differnce in social status of the working class

dont mind me my fingers type before my mind throughly thinks :unsure:

Oh that's okay, Salty. I'd rather understand you than give you the wrong answer. Thanks for the clarification.

Have you read the article they're talking about in this thread? It can be found here.

The article gives you the complete outfit for common women. That means the working class. So unless you are portraying an upper class woman, this is what you should wear.

got it kass, thanks

http://www.marquise.de/en/1600/howto/petticoat.shtml

At the beginning of this thread there was a statement made that women that were painted without a cover on thier heads were "bedroom" portraits.

I have in my recent research found these and they are most definately not "bedroom " portraits in the restoration period.

The articles are very interesting and quite a bit of useful information to be had.

Kathryn Ramsey

Kathryn,

The link you posted is about 17th century petticotes. Did you post the wrong one perhaps?

If you posted it for the pictures of ladies with their heads uncovered, thank you! This reinforces my point. These ladies all have their hair dressed. It is pulled back on top with short bangs and the side pieces elborately curled as was typical of the upper classes in the 1660s. A woman would indeed go out dressed in this fashion.

She would not, however, go out with her hair hanging down as we see in boudoir portraits and minatures.

Kass

• 2 weeks later...

Kass: If I'm writing [historial fiction] about a woman's attire, it would be rather cumbersome (and perhaps confusing to the modern reader) to describe "her petticoat and stays". Is using the word "dress" when describing the entire picture too inaccurate? (Can you tell I'm concerned with readers such as yourself sending poison pen emails after the book is published? :rolleyes: )

Spot.jpg

Well, her petticote and stays aren't her whole outfit. They are actually underwear -- the layer under her dress. But if you say "underwear", it brings up even different items in the modern mind.

If we're talking about the word "dress" meaning her outfit entire, there is certainly no reason you couldn't use the word "dress" or any other synonym but "clothing" might get you fewer poison pen letters.