Blunderbuss Project

Why would anyone want to take a Blunderbuss up in the rigging.... it's a short range weapon?

But the part I'm wondering about.... OK a blunderbuss is too heavy for using a belt hook, (for all of these, you'd have to use "wadding" over the charge so it wouldn't fall out) just using a length of line to tie a make-shift sling would work... But adding a bent strap of metal, with a ring on it, from one lock screw to the other, and then attaching that to a strap with a hook, wouldn't be a very difficult method of carrying one. Don't know if it could ever be "documented", but all the materals were avalible, It's one of those "If I can think of it, why couldn't someone back then..." (Yah... I know this is a dangerous train of thought...)

I'm trying to visualize carrying a blunderbuss, pistol, and cutlass on a boarding action.... kinda 50-50 on wether having the blunderbuss on a sling would work, or just get in the way ......

1. Once fired, hold the blunderbuss in my left hand... draw and fire the pistol, then drop it (or having it on a cord...) then draw the cutlass....

2. Once fired, drop the blunderbuss (the sling keeps it from getting 'lost") then draw and fire the pistol, then draw the cutlass......

Rats.... think I've ansewered my own question.... having it on a sling, would get in the way... but in my left hand, I can use it to block with, and still use it as a club if anything happens with my cutlass...

But Capt. Bo , It will be interesting to see if, or how well it does works.... (kinda) experimental archology...... :huh:

DING DING DING

You got the prize Patrick! That is exactly my what this is for my part. I f it doesnt work, I can ditch the sling idea and use it as is. In cavalry application there was a socket to insert the musketoon into, but it was attached to the saddle. Bad news if you fell from the horse or were thrown still being held by the sling to the mount! :huh: (ouch)

What I really was wanting it for was a backup on the hog hunt coming up. I am finally regaining use of my arm and strength in my hand to be able to fire up my forge and get my hog spear ready, but a .69 caliber ball with a half dozen .30's stuffed on top would be really handy at short range in my oppinion. We shall see.

(now... what is the prize?)

Jos. Buckmaster was a London gunsmith fl. 1760. In 1760 he was a witness in the case of four stolen locks heard at the Old Bailey. The case is interesting because of the debate he got into with the maker of the locks - another witness - about their value.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

As usual, a thought provoking thread. I think, though, that I would drop the 'buss after firing as it is too heavy to block and parry with: too slow. I think the progression would be 'buss and drop, pistol(s) and drop, saving the last to parry with, then cutlass/axe or drop the (empty) pistol and go for cutlass and axe. Substitute "throw" for "drop" where a target presents itself. An empty 'buss heaved with both hands, spinning horizontally at head level might get some attention.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

All you say makes perfect sense in a combat situation. I wouildn't want a blunderbuss as a member of a boarding party, but in defense AGAINST boarders, most definately a one shot opportunity.

However, as a hunter, I see great potential for the use of this piece, and it is from that angle I am approaching this. It may not work, but I'm going to give it a try.

From the combat perspective though, I have to agree with all of you. Same reason I will not wear a necktie. It gives my opponent something to throw me with.(or strangle :o )

Or pulverized! :)

I just want to remind everyone this is for a feral hog hunt. Only to be used to slow or stop a wounded charging pig. There will be five in our group, three will have muskets and swords, possibly a pistol or two, and myself and my best friend will be the spearmen and backup firepower. Thats the plan we have at this point. Mind you these are feral MISSOURI hogs turned out when the market colapsed a few years ago. Some are over 300 pounds on the hoof! They are wreaking havoc with the landscape and are over-running some of our public land. The area we will be hunting is designated as a blackpowder and archery only area.

If anyone is intrested in joining us, there are no license requirements to hunt these beasts in the state.

Bo

I would love to. Being a biologist in FL I have no love for feral anything. Once did a feral dog hunt for a pack of ten that was decimating a deer population. Of course the public condemned what we were doing until the dogs invaded a school playground. The dogs met one very brave teacher with a chair who managed to hold them off until the cops arrived and killed one. I (and my team) took care of the rest over the next several days. Then we were heroes. All in the same week.

Meanwhile, taking on a wounded or cornered hog with a flinter sounds thrilling. "Thrilling" is the word people use before an event that will later be described as "brave" or "manly" or "adventurous" if it turns out well or "stupid", "assenine" or "Darwin award nominee" if it turns out badly. A misfire could ruin your day. Fortunately is sounds like you will have a lot of firepower to take him down and what are the odds of all of your guns not going off in the damp, humid south? Somone going to pack in the 44 magnum as a safety?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

If anyone is intrested in joining us, there are no license requirements to hunt these beasts in the state.

Damn, I've always wanted to hunt that way. Boar spear and hunting sword... I'm jealous.

B)

And Jim, you nailed it on the head... brave/stupid... two sides of the same coin.

Wish I could be there to help Bo flip it!

:)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Via Capt'n Bo:

If anyone is intrested in joining us,...

Twill be holding my own feral pig hunt with me brother after New Year's on my wife's famiy land in Oconee Co., SC. The land is adjacent to the Nat. Forestry property, & they have come in that way. Tis a big problem. These pigs have 2-3 litters per year , eat everything, and crowd out natural species. This will definitely be a "search & destroy" misson...baiting with corn, so black powder is out. Just the big guns with 44 mag side arms, Bowies & dirks. The Forest Service said that they would trap them, yet they are busy with other things. The neighbors there have said that these feral pigs are too big to trap. Hope not to encounter one of those "Hog-zilla's" that they got in Georgia, but feral pigs can get 300 lbs +.

Best hunting to you, Capt'n Bo.

Bo,

I think you're on to something there, period-hunting feral pigs. Gonna dress period, too? B) You've seen photos of 'Hogzilla', yes?

http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/cgi-bin/...c;f=11;t=001152

From your description of three and two, it sounds like you've read the old treatese that cautioned hunting in pairs (one man holding his shot while the other took it).

FWIW, the predecessor to the 'Jaeger' rifle (mid to late 18th century) was the Sau rifle - barrel length from 18 to 22", .50 to .80 bore rifled and frequently without a patch box. Check out http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hh..._GB&db=S-50.txt

The idea was to follow up the shot with the hirschfanger (hunting sword). If the boar landed a few cuts before you killed it, they became scars of honor.

And something worth reading

http://www.logoi.com/notes/hunting_in_india_boar.html

Dances for nickels.

Except for footwear, we are planning on period clothing. Yes I saw hogzilla, and I grew up around hogs. Never did like them nasty things. Some of the party are considering catchers shin guards for this just in case. My friend and I have been bikers forever, and seen alot of action in the old days. I ain't takin nothin but my spear, buss, cutlass and attitude. None of them old sows of grand-dads ever got the best of me, these pigs ain't either! :)

Thaks fellers for the support, and best wishes to the other hunters too! Kill 'em all and eat 'em for breakfast! :lol:

Bo

• 2 years later...