Pilgrimage to Execution Dock

Tall Paul

I am posting this announcement here for any British Pirates who are not subscribed to the UK Pirate Brotherhood Yahoo Group, and for the Benefit of anyone who will be in London during the first weekend of February 2007.

After the success of the previous event, we shall be staging a second pilgrimage to Execution Dock in Wapping, in order to drink a toast to the pirates who were hanged there.

Like the first time, this will be taking place on the first Sunday in February, that Is Sunday February the 4th.

Last February, we all met up at the Tower of London, much to the delight of a large number of tourists..

Once we had all gathered, we crossed over the Thames and walked up to where the Golden Hind is docked.

GoldenHind1.jpg

The Golden Hind has Strong Pirate associations as it featured as the Pirate Ship, The Blarney Cock, in the 1976 Movie “Swashbuckler” (English title “Scarlet Buccaneer”) Starring Robert Shaw and James Earl Jones.

GoldenHind2.jpg

After making the Day for a group of children who had visited the ship as a birthday treat, We boarded the local Starbucks for a belated Breakfast.

We then Headed off towards Execution Dock.

On the way to Wapping, we took in several sights including Dead Mans Hole, where recovered corpses used to be bought ashore, and Catherine’s Dock, the sight of the original execution dock during the 16th Century.

Before we reached the Prospect of Whitby Tavern, the site of Execution dock, several of the participating pirates were beginning to suffer the fatigue of an overland journey, so we repaired to the Captain Kidd Pub to seek liquid fortification.

CaptainKidd.jpg

Duly recovered, we made the last leg of the journey to the Prospect of Whitby, Where the requisite toasts were drunk to Pirates who had danced the Hempen Jig at that spot.

gallows.jpg

We are still looking at possibilities for next years trip, so If anyone has any ideas as to where they would like to go, All suggestions will be gratefully received.

Just so long as we wind up at the Prospect of Whitby where the toasts will be raised.

What a fantastic adventure! I would SO love to be a part of that, but with limited free days and gigs already booked I'm afraid 2007 is out for me.

Crossing the "Pond" is a long voyage for what amounts to a pre-season social gathering, but the plan is to make this an annual event, so there is always 2008.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gunner,

The Clink is a possibility, although I am not sure that everybody will want to pay the entry fee. Although the Nay-sayers could gather in the Starbucks, as per last year.

Going to the Clink would effectively mean retracing the steps of last year, I have no problem with doing that, but some of the participants had a problem with the long walk which that entailed.

Another suggestion is that we meet at the Museum of London, which has a fairly extensive 18th Century exhibit, but nothing particularly associated with Piracy. We could then take the Tube down to Wapping.

Are you subscribed to the UK Pirate Brotherhood Yahoo Group? If you are, it would probably be a good idea to suggest it there, and find out how many people would be interested in following the same format as last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that Scrounger, Sig duly updated.

Pity that you wont be able to make it to the Pilgrimage.

For anyone who is interested in coming along to the pilgrimage, as per last year, we shall be meeting at 9am at the Tower of London.

If you have Pirate costume, come in kit. but anyone who does not have costume but would like to join us to see what the fuss is about, is more than welcome.