Real Hemp Canvas!

kass

I know what you're thinking. You're saying, "Gee... I wish I could get some real period-appropriate canvas and make myself some sailor's slops/trousers/a watch coat/a tent. But no one sells real hemp canvas. Whatever shall I do?"

Never fear! Reconstructing History is here!

We are now stocking real hemp canvas. It's 59" wide, 17.7 oz to the yard, 100% hemp canvas in a plain weave, perfect for your slops/trousers/tent/watch coat. Lookie here:

350_large_image.png

And for the stitch-counters among you: it has a twinned warp just like the sail from the HMS Victory. And at a thread count of 10 warp pairs and 8 weft thread per square centimeter, it's almost exactly the weave of the Victory sail too (at 10.8 x 8.3 warp pairs and wefts per cm).

In stock and ready to ship. Only $19 per yard. I take Visa, Mastercard, PayPal, and checks and money orders in US currency. We ship UPS in the US and US post anywhere in the world.

PM me!

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ed,

I'm not a mariner, but it's 17.7 oz canvas. That's rather heavy. If you give this number to a sailmaker, they would be able to tell you.

Kass

Hope this will help... Current sail-cloth used around here in the mid-west is "sunforger" canvas, in weights of 10 oz. and 14 0z. It is a mildew resistant type of stuff also common in tents and other period stuff like bedrolls etc. The 14 0z. is tough enough to flip a catamaran!

(now how would I know that? :huh: )

Correction... that should be 12 oz. and 14 oz. The 10 oz. is just plain cotton duck we use for haversacks and breeches for the new guys getting involved.

Greg... yep, semester is over and I'm back in port til Jan 8th. See ya in the forums mate! (see my post in "Rabble Rousing")

Bo

I was gonna say, Bo -- 10oz isn't very heavy. Well... it's heavy for clothing, but not heavy enough for sails or tents I don't think.

We also have 6.5oz, 8oz, 9.5oz and 15oz hemp in twill and plain weaves in stock.

I'll do a full hemp outfit...Captain Weeder!

See, you never know what will stem from planting a seed. An idea will bud and BONG! the puns start...now pipe me ashore...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Weed never have thought of that Jim! Still, makes sensamia suppose...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

And wearing my new suit of hemp clothing I will set lights to draw ships to their doom and, mourning the deaths I have caused while luring ships onto the rocks I shall succumb to drink, sinking slowly into reefer madness....

OK, maybe that was a stretch. Doobie kind to me anyway.

It started out well and then spliff, up in smoke.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I was going to buy some canvas to make slops with, but I know I'll only hash them up. I'm just gonna roll over and let Kass make 'em. I'll be a-skin-up-out buttons later...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk