Your Favorite Character Actors

Caraccioli

I was listening to the music from Tomorrow Never Dies this morning and they hit a spot where the music was for a specific, bit part character. His name is Michael Byrne and he played Admiral Kelly. (I mentioned him in the I didn't know they were in that! thread. He was just right for that bit part.

Who are your favorite bit part, almost unknown actors? (In case you need it, here's a link to imdb to figure out their name. :ph34r: )

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• 1 month later...
My fav is Pete Postlewaite. He has been in alot of movies but no really big parts. Too bad. Waisted talent.

He had a pretty good part in JPII:The Lost World.

Postlethwaite was great as the slimy Obadiah Hakeswill in the Sharpe's movies. (Blackjohn, if you haven't seen the Sharpe's movies, you're really doing yourself a disservice. You'd love 'em.)

"Am I not?"

Well lets see I like the guy that played Louis in Hatari Valentin de Vargas. Red Buttons has a bit to much of a part in the movie (Pockets) to qualify for this list I imagine as does my favorite all time charchter actor or at least thats all the roles he got in American cinema Curt Jurgens who played the co star in my all time favorite movie The Enemy Below.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Curt Jurgens who played the co star in my all time favorite movie The Enemy Below.

Jurgens was sort of interesting as Stromburg in The Spy Who Loved Me.

That reminds me of another cool character actor: Julian Glover - he played General Veers in SW:TESB and Kristatos in For Your Eyes Only. I can't say he was the best Bond villain, but he was likable.

I also just discovered that he was the voice of Aragog in Harry Potter, The Chamber of Secrets. Huh.

"Am I not?"

I suppose it's really egotistical of me to say that my favorite character actor is me, huh?

(Hey...if I don't believe in myself, nobody else will).

I do have to give more props to Julian Glover, though. Great classical actor as well. He's done lots of work with the Royal Shakespeare Company.

• 3 weeks later...

Two that I can think of that bring much humor , humanity and interest to their characters (imho) are Toby Huss and Simon Callow.

I watched Toby in two of my favorite series, The Adventures of Pete and Pete (as Artie: The Strongest Man..In the World) and in Carnivale as the insufferable "Stumpy".

artie2xm.jpg

toby_huss.jpg

I've seen Simon in many movies, most notably for me were The Phantom of the Opera, Shakespeare in Love and A Room With A View. He always seems to pop into movies and afford me a well mannered giggle.

FourWGarreth.jpg

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Ooh.. I LOVE Donavan's Reef!

in fact my entire dining room is a Tiki bar and i have some original lobby cards from that flick ion the walls!

"I'll knock both his blocks off! C'mon kids, you're going home!" :(

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Ooh.. I LOVE Donavan's Reef!

in fact my entire dining room is a Tiki bar and i have some original lobby cards from that flick ion the walls!

"I'll knock both his blocks off! C'mon kids, you're going home!" :ph34r:

Cool. As I said, it's one of my favorite Duke movies. (I should pick it up off Amazon.) Lee Marvin with his Lionel train! What a hoot!

"Am I not?"

there are two old timers i would cast votes for; victor maclaughlin and wallace beery maclaughlin played the foil to john wayne in the quiet man shown above as maureen o'hara's brash brother

Victor MacLaughlin in that role reminded me of Robert Shaw in The Sting for some reason. (Actually, it should be the other way 'round since The Sting came long after The Quiet Man.) It was pretty funny when they took a break in the middle of the brawl to have a beer. :ph34r::ph34r:

"Am I not?"

Cool. As I said, it's one of my favorite Duke movies. (I should pick it up off Amazon.) Lee Marvin with his Lionel train! What a hoot!

Make sure you get the authoized edition.... there is a really BAD copy out there for sale but the Wayne family one has a few extras.

And the quality is so much better... :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

It was pretty funny when they took a break in the middle of the brawl to have a beer. :ph34r::ph34r:

Well now... we find that to be a very Celtic trait.

My own Da and a cousin once (after a few drinks of course...) got into a sorry discussion about the quality of a horse.

Near the beginning of it they broke through my Mom's living room window and at the behest of the ladies, stopped long enough for them to clean up the glass so the kids wouldn't get cut. During which time the combat fellows shared a brew, a few laughs and then when they went to square off again my mom called all for dinner.

At which time the hostilities ceased.... and later the original reason could not be recalled by either of them.

In an Irish house it IS All about the food.

(And you people wonder where I get it!) :ph34r:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif