DIY Flintlock Pistol Kit

halo21

:lol::lol::lol: i have done at least 5 of the queen anne pistol kits and about a dozen or so of the kentucky pistols plus several of the long gun/rifle kits they are pretty easy for the beginner and can be customized for those a bit more adventurous with carving or inlays don't be afraid to give them a go :lol::lol::lol:

As the Gunner says...

The kits IMHO are targeting the first time builder, and are almost completely done. Its the best way to get your feet wet, and cheapest way to get a "period" flintlock.

The only one on the page you sent, however, that is good for GAoP is the

Queen Anne (QA) styled one:

http://tinyurl.com/yjnqor

I have seen several of these and they can be as nice as you want to make it.

As a side note, the cannon barrel QA (the type that you load from the muzzle... the barrel does not screw off) seems to definitely be in the minority, though they did exist.

That is, the normal "style" for this pistol was that you could unscrew the barrel (also known as a turn-off) to load it. You can usualy see a little nub underneath the barrel where a little key like thing could get purchase to "turn-off" the barrel for loading.

Queen-Anne-Pistol.jpg

Here is an example of a "Queen Anne" style (with the little thingy underneath)

More info at my website... take a LOOK HERE!

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 3 weeks later...

GoF, could you perhaps elaborate on the Charleville pistol? It appears on the Dixie Gunworks page below the QA. According to 'United States Military Shoulder Arms, 1795-1935' by James E. Hicks, Fred Porter Todd

(The Journal of the American Military History Foundation, Vol. 1, No. 2 [summer, 1937], pp. 75-79) the Charville armory manufactured weapons since 1719, but they only mention muskets, and I wondered if there was more information to place the pistol specifically in or out of the GAoP. It just looks like a very interesting pistol.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

could you perhaps elaborate on the Charleville pistol

Well, yes. Its probably a fairly decent, and inexpensive copy of a French pistol that came out in 1777 (The French also came out with a new musket of that model too).

It has a number of things that are unlike GAOP turn off pistols... even the un-turn-off type.

Besides "looking" different, flash pan is cast as part of the lock block, and has a "back strap" that starts at the barrel tang and continues down the back.

It would probably be a great option for Rev War privateer, but I would pass on it for GAOP.

If you want a kit, have some woodworking/metal working skills and want to give something a try....

1690/1700 English Pistol

Comes in a variety of metals (Brass, steel, and German Silver) for ~$475

and that is for everything you need (stock, parts and barrel).

I will probably end up with one of these myself.... But I got other projects in the works and don't have time for another at the moment.

Good luck!

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

nice kits ..i might just have to try a couple of them out i especially like the 1700 danish pistol ....it has a nice line and a we bit shorter than some of my others :lol: i'm sure i have a birthday or something coming up to justify buying one or two ......who am trying to kid i'd do it because i want them :o:huh::P

Does anyone know where you can find one that turns off? I see them on the antique gun auctions and such, but does anyone make new ones?

E J Blacklley & Son Here In England do a very fine Queen Anne pistol Kit.

qanne_kit.jpg

They are quite pricy, and much more advanced than the Perdesoli Kits, But they do have a turn of barrel, (Note the spanner in the photograph.)

Thank you, GoF. We'll see what my schedule and budget allows after my wedding. I am also investigating western martial arts, such as fencing and traditional catch wrestling. We'll see. I suppose one can't do it all!

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

One little bit of infomation that I forgot about the Blackley (spelt it wrong in previous post, but what do you expect from a Dyslexic) Queen Anne pistol Kit.

The fittings, (Sideplate, Thumbplate etc) are all cast in silver. which partly accounts for the price.

However, if requested, they will cast the fittings on brass or another metal.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to gently wade into doing your own pistols, I have a Japanese "LIBERTY" marked .69 caliber 9" barreled flintlock pistol, a copy of the Dragoon 18th century pistol. Reasonably good shape, although the lock seems 'wimpy' and I suspect the coil spring for the sear should be replaced with a leaf spring. Good winter project. $125 + shipping.

Photos aplenty available, including inspirational ones of what someone did to properly reshape the stock on theirs.

Also - G Gedney Godwin British 'battalion' cartridge box, as found on their webpage. http://www.gggodwin.com/126.htm

Purchased in 2000 for "Battle Road", used a few times and stored since.

$90 + shipping.

Dances for nickels.