Oak Island Treasure Mystery

http://www.unmuseum.org/oakisl.htm

I've seen specials on this on A&E and find it fascinating. There are also several good web sites out there with good photos of various levels and things found. Any thoughts. If nobody knows what it is I will re-post with details, but I'm thinking a board of pirates will know about legitimate treasure sites.

Extremely interesting!

I tend to be very dubious about "pirate's buried treasure". Pirates lived hard and fast; most of them blew their gains on booze and women, and I suspect the ones with enough sense to sock it away, did so via more conventional measures (such as Henry Morgan's - OK, he was a buccaneer, not a pirate! -) investment in plantations.

I doubt that very many buried their treasure, and those who did wouldn't have worked at something this elaborate.

Another theory is that it was the work of the Knights Templar, who owned the greatest fleets of their era, and who WERE great builders: the remains of some of their structures stand today.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I remember seeing a show on TV about this 10 or 20 years ago. It seems likely with the technology of today I might know what lies in there during my lifetime.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

If there was something there it could be gone, rotted away paper items. Also, the poor excavation methods could have damaged what was once a dry storage area. I've read of the Knights of Templar theory, along with the Holy Grail myth. Sceptical I am. I too agree that pirates lived in the moment, and spent as they got. The few who were smart enough to save were smart enough to put it in a legal investment.

However, if even half of the excavators of the spot are telling the truth, something is or was there. There are better web sites where they show stones with writing carved in them, I believe in code. It does surprise me that with all of the current technology, nobody has been able to get in there yet.

The link Corsair posted appears to be inoperative at the moment, but here's an excerpt from an article on the matter at another site:

Over the course of its three expeditions, the Clifford team also made some startling underground discoveries. With the help of ultra-sophisticated electronic remote-sensing equipment and interpretation from Witten Technologies, Inc., a Washington, D.C.-based high-tech company and pioneer in imaging objects underground, the team located what may prove to be a complex underground tunnel system, including possible flood-tunnel booby-traps. According to Kinkor, the tunnels may have been built by English pirates to hide their treasure and other valuables.

http://www.gisdevelopment.net/news/2001/jan/titan1.htm

Of course this isn't definitive. Clifford and Kinkor would also, of course, be familiar with Oak Island, and this may be coloring their tentative interpretation.

In addition to the Knights Templar, another theory is that the original scripts of Shakespear and other notable writers of the period are buried there. I forgot name of the guy they think wrote them, but apparently someone found 'clues' in a compilation of the works that pointed to a secret chamber beneath the Thames River. They actually excavated and found a sealed room under the river, but it was empty. Some say that the works were moved to Oak Island. I wish I could embellish you all with more detail, but it's been a few years since I heard this theory. Can anyone else confirm/correct this?

Coastie :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I read something similar on one of the links above but not too in depth. The only part I remembered was that they were claiming that Shakespeare didn't write any plays he merely copied someone else' work. Like I said, I didn't pay too much attention to it.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Now I remember the name of the person suspected of using Shakespear as a pen name: Francis Bacon. I haven't heard that Shakespear necessarily copied the work, but that he was used as a front for Bacon. Supposedly, Bacon also used other notable writers of the era as pen names. I don't know how sound the theory is, but it definitely is interesting.

Coastie :huh:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg