Pyrate Camp 2007

Patrick Hand

Thanks Harry!

With all that sorted out and the final word down on the encampment, let me offer our plan for our crewe's educational presentations....

Our crewe is planning on doing a 1675-1685 ish time period encampment... Port Royal.... It is the height of buccaneer power in the Caribbean.

We will talk about the influence buccaneers had on the expansion of English interests in the Caribbean at that time.

Keep in mind at the time Port Royal was the major stronghold that the British had in a VERY Spanish envionment.

While we will be able to talk about the 'meat roasting' buccaneers, this is out of that time period.... (things started shifting from that focus on Tortuga, to Port Royal in 1670)

This is also the time that Henry Morgan was taking his role over in Port Royal and essentially trying to turn it into a little England....So we will have Hurricane as Morgan. I shall take on the crazy sewing endeavor of making a dress so I can be on Morgan's arm as Elizabeth(the rest of the time I will happily take on a role of one of the guys...much more comfortable clothing...)

We will also do a little 'future telling' with a display on the earthquake that was to come in 1692 and change the face of trade and piracy in the Caribbean.

We'll come up with the appropriate signage to let folks know who we are and what we represent....

Those are our rough thoughts on our crewe's beginning plans..... I'm off to do more research....

Who's next for show and tell on their story ideas?? :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that we've completed the what it will be (thanks Harry), our daunting task will be "how it will be."

While it's important to look authentic, I think Foxe still had a point that the general public can't tell correct slops from incorrect ones. That's for us all to work on.

But perhaps more important is what we will tell the audiences that gather. It'll be fun to see what everyone uncovers about the time periods, what people new back then in the ways of politics (who was on the throne, who was at war with whom, etc.), the understanding of medicine, the world in general as far as geography and such and the high tech of the time. Very exciting stuff. And I suppose that would vary greatly by one's station in life at the time. I know I look forward to the journey in the coming year and I think it will be fun to learn from others here.

Perhaps we should set up separate threads in the PiP section covering the main periods we'll be delving into, so we can share our own knowledge with others, not only about the garb and kits, but about the state of mind of these folks. That part is perhaps even more educational than the kit and clothing. I'd hate to see us retreat to the Rennie thing of "what is that strange device you're holding in your hand" instead of being able to show of our own state-of-the-art tools common in life in our own periods.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

While it's important to look authentic, I think Foxe still had a point that the general public can't tell correct slops from incorrect ones. That's for us all to work on.

:o I don't recall ever saying that, sure you're not thinking of someone else? I have often made the point that the public will still recognise an authentic pirate as a pirate - they don't need the sash and bucket boots.

Perhaps we should set up separate threads in the PiP section covering the main periods we'll be delving into, so we can share our own knowledge with others, not only about the garb and kits, but about the state of mind of these folks. That part is perhaps even more educational than the kit and clothing. I'd hate to see us retreat to the Rennie thing of "what is that strange device you're holding in your hand" instead of being able to show of our own state-of-the-art tools common in life in our own periods.

Is that not the very purpose of Captain Twill?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

My misquote:

It was GoF and this is was what he had said:

I doubt that there are many, even among re-enactors themselves that would know the difference between late and early breeches, and Early Justaucorps from a late one etc etc. And certainly the public would be clueless....

My most humble apologies.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

The only area for which we are proposing minimal 1720 standards will be on our own little 1720 camp, a very small part of the whole affair, where we would like to do skill demonstrations, answer questions about the GAoP, pose for photo-ops and recruit new pyrates to the greater world of pyrate reenacting. So there is lots of room at PiP for pyrates of all stripes within the years and standards that Harry has set.

As Patrick has said, good, honest attempts at period dress should be honored and then improved on, either on the spot or for next year. He also noted that neither one of us are done with development either. I plan to sew an entire kit this year as up to this point I’ve been “store buying” my stuff, all except my hat. Its all cotton and machine sewn with fall-front slops, all of which I plan to bring as extras and loaners. So basically I am at the desirable minimum, but just for our little corner of the world. Patrick is a bit beyond that, but I’m catching up. However, the stuff that I have will work if I don’t have time to create all-new kit. Moreover everything that I have is readily available and fairly affordable. But, starting now, anyone with a few hours of time each week can finish an entire kit by next year (351 days, to be exact.)

Meanwhile, in order to reduce the confusion, we will now start a separate 1720 Camp thread dedicated to and limited to that 1720 camp. Any guidelines or standards that we agree on there are for that camp only and do not affect anyone else attending PiP insomuch as they adhere to Harry's time frame. Anyone who wishes to join us in the attempt to recreate a 1720 careening camp is welcome. Help will be offered to all who want it and constructive ideas wanted from all who offer.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I'd like to float an idea to see what you lot think of it.

I've been known to set up my tent as a coffeehouse in 1690s Covent Garden (London Theatre District).

I wouldn't do this in the careening camp because, although the year could be changed easily, the fact that there weren't coffeehouses on the beaches where ships were careened is a little hard to get around. ;)

Coffeehouses were more than just places serving the latest fashionable cocktail. The first stock exchange was a coffeehouse. The famous insurer Lloyd's of London was originally a coffeehouse. Would-be writers from Lord Byron and Percy Bysshe Shelley to buccaneer and explorer William Dampier met their publishers in coffeehouses.

Especially pertinent to the Golden Age of Piracy, salvedge from wrecked ships was auctioned off in coffeehouses. It's suspected that many pirates traded their goods in coffeehouses as well.

At other places I've set up the coffeehouse, it's served as a kind of meeting place -- like a pub. At timeline events, we've had Roman soldiers and WWII guys having a dish of coffee with Pirates and Redcoats. At PiP, I see this as a place where the public and not-authentically-minded could come and hang out with the authentic set and we could get to know each other. Maybe even have a fake brawl or two. ;)

What do you all think?

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

The Pirates of the West Coast were in there this year along with a characterist but I do not see why all can not co-exist there it is a large space. The pub could even double as the coffee house during the day if the temperatures are not so hot as this year. The biggest problem I see is the heat and keeping the sounds of conversation and entertainment from competing too loudly. I suppose this would be a good time to admit that I didn't explore the fort much so I could be all wrong!

That's my two cents ...for what it is worth.

Damn fine idea Kass, anything to get you down here. I could see the coffee house in the Northwest or the Northeast corner. There were vendors there last year but only Pirates of the Coast (Diosa) selling under the arches this year. I'll dig up some pictures of the setup. Anyway I'm for it but Harry may have other ideas for that space. A tent will do just as good though.

How early in the morning will you be open? Patrick must have his Java.

3ff66f1f.jpg

I'd like to float an idea to see what you lot think of it.

I've been known to set up my tent as a coffeehouse in 1690s Covent Garden (London Theatre District). 

I wouldn't do this in the careening camp because, although the year could be changed easily, the fact that there weren't coffeehouses on the beaches where ships were careened is a little hard to get around.  :blink:

Coffeehouses were more than just places serving the latest fashionable cocktail.  The first stock exchange was a coffeehouse.  The famous insurer Lloyd's of London was originally a coffeehouse.  Would-be writers from Lord Byron and Percy Bysshe Shelley to buccaneer and explorer William Dampier met their publishers in coffeehouses.

Especially pertinent to the Golden Age of Piracy, salvedge from wrecked ships was auctioned off in coffeehouses.  It's suspected that many pirates traded their goods in coffeehouses as well.

At other places I've set up the coffeehouse, it's served as a kind of meeting place -- like a pub.  At timeline events, we've had Roman soldiers and WWII guys having a dish of coffee with Pirates and Redcoats.  At PiP, I see this as a place where the public and not-authentically-minded could come and hang out with the authentic set and we could get to know each other.  Maybe even have a fake brawl or two.  :P

What do you all think?

Hey Kass,

Dunno what Harry has to say about it, but if he's good with it, we would LOVE to have you in our company with coffee. I know my wenches would be waiting for you to rise in the morning and have that wonderus liquid flowing!!!!

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Damn good thing I'm an early riser, eh Diosa? :blink:

I'm really getting psyched up about this now.

Wow! Authentic GAoP history AND caffeine... PERFECT! :P

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I'm already standing in line.

The Pyrates of the Coast will be your best customers... Welcome aboard!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I can really feel the excitement here.... and its more than 300 days away!

Now you got me looking at flights.... damn pirates.

:blink:

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I can really feel the excitement here.... and its more than 300 days away!

Now you got me looking at flights.... damn pirates.

:blink:

Greg

Ultimately I think we want to do for pyrating what the rest of the reenacting world has been doing for a long time, have a genuine working pyrate camp. If we can make Key West the destination for the best then we succeed. If it can be the biggest, too, that's gravy.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Just remember that the airlines don't offer the best fares until 60 or so days out.

One of our own crewe just landed one of spiritair's specials from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale. Total cost (round trip) was $30.60. No, that's not a typo. When you sign up for their promotions, they send you some real goodies. From Orlando we could have flown to San Juan for 9¢ each way. Again, not a typo. With taxes it would have run us about $26.

If you're near anywhere spiritair flies, sign up for their promotions. I know they fly out of Chicago and Detroit as well as San Francisco now.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Either that or you'll hear incoherent grumbling and pacing outside your tent until you come to and start brewing... then we can translate the grumbling to english

It's not incoherent mumbling.... before I have me coffee, it be down right authentic Anglo Saxoe momosylibles...... ;)