Sailor's Short Jacket

So maybe three functional buttons on each one, or do you think that would be too much?

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Kass! Well, what I have in the planning stages so far is a mid-thigh length coat with no collar, plain and simple straight, buttoned cuffs, two exterior pockets with scalloped edges and buttoned with three buttons, and split in the back. Does this sound pretty close for a sailor's coat? (Not an issued ASC jacket, but a privately made one).

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

(1945)

Yup, that's the one I chose out of all the ones shown on Foxe's site. ;)

(1945)

Of course I will! One of these days soon, I will try to post a photo of meself...all this time I've been a member of the pub, and I still havn't posted a photo...but I wanted to get my stuff right first. ;)

(1945)

We were talking about something like this at PiP....

But during the American Civil War, the Confederacy would cut out all the parts for "Richmond Depot Shell jackets", and then send them out te be sewn.... Even with the fabric pre-cut.... there were still many variations in the shell jackets...... Just a thought....

That is the picture that I used when I made my slops contract jacket... I used two buttons on each cuff, as in the picture... then the other 11 up the front. In the picture I didn't see any on the pocket flaps..... So I figured they had to be up the front....... (OK... so all 11 arn't shown in the picture........)

I did make scalloped pocket flaps (just not as extream as in the picture...) and they stay closed (down) without buttons........

Yeah, that's the one I'm going with, too, Patrick. Except I will probably use three buttons at the cuffs and three buttons on the pockets---I just like the way it looks. Mine will not adhere to the ASC so strictly, but will be representative of a privately purchased and civilian-made sailor's jacket. (not to mention it will be green, rather than grey). I will probably also make the pocket flaps shaped exactly like the picture... :lol:

I know you've posted pics of yours elsewhere in the pub, but can you post them again here, since this is our new "short jacket" thread? :lol:

(1945)

Patrick, that is truly beautiful work! I want mine to look almost exactly like that, except for the couple of extra buttons I mentioned... :lol:

Did you make your own pattern, or use one of Kass'?

(1945)

Is it hard to draft a pattern to fit yourself, Patrick? I've never tried it, and I'm a pretty large man. I stand 6'-4" and weigh 220 lbs. Would it be hard to adapt it to my size? I have the Simplicity "Jack Sparrow" coat pattern that I was going to modify for mine... :lol:

(1945)

You could just buy the Reconstructing History Sailor's Jacket Pattern. We've already done the sizing for you. Plus you could read quotes from the original Admiralty Slop Contracts, get information on extant jackets from the time period, and all sorts of stuff. :)

And support a fellow Pub member... :lol:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Kass, I would absolutely love to have your pattern for the jacket, unfortunately, with it being so close to Christmas and with kids to buy for, I am pretty strapped right now. :lol: Perhaps after New Year's I can do something better... :)

(1945)

Bloody hell Steve! Been chatting to you here and never realised it was you. Still, I suppose "Dr Syn" has always been a moniker to preserve anonymity. :blink:

No, these short jackets are very often seen without pockets in the pictures. The only time you need pockets is if you're specifically trying to reconstruct the Slop Contract clothing, because we know pockets were ordered on those jackets.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Yes.....was going to have pockets put in,but my seamster(male seamstress?),did a runner with some society money...such is life...when I catch up with him,we'll have more to discuss than the finer points of nautical fashion.....Foxe,Maybe we should list our groups/boards...We can't go on meeting like this!

Steve

Ok...My jacket,otherwise much the same...Doesn't have pockets at all!Have I committed an unforgivable sin?

Steve

Do you have photos of your jacket Steve? :lol:

(1945)

I knew it was here some place..... I was looking for the picture of the pocket flap....

I think I might embordery that on the pocket flaps of the waistcoat I'm working on.

The waistcoat is a dark blue wool, lined with whitish linen. I think I'll sew all the button holes with white thread, and do the embordery on the flaps in white also...

I still have to make a pair of hemp slops, then I think I might tear out the cotton linning on my jacket, and replace it with red wool. (I'm wearing it as a winter jacket right now... so it probably won't be untill Spring....) I'm just not looking forward to re-sewing all of the button holes again....... :blink: