F'n money!

Matusalem

(sigh) The more I research, outfits, the more I spend. Now I'm running out of money quickly. Unfortunately in today's world, th cell phone bill must get paid first. I'm all for home fabrication, but I will tell you that even with all real vintage clothes I own , I'm discovering I still can't get what I want.

I'm sure there are some folks out there that would agree.

SHIP2-1.jpg

understand that one mate........ figured on making or trading for most me garb and see how much can help and be helped in this endevour.

Keep yer chin up and cheers B)

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Assembling the garb is a long slog, mate, all upwind. 'Tis best to take your time and "see" it in your head first. If your trying to be period, then bad decisions can be even more costly than going all the way to begin with. But if you're in a hurry I have a nice pair of 8 1/2 bucket boots, an 1861 cutlass and some fall front slops I can sell you in Key

West.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Yup! I do agree with you, Matusalem. Although you'll probably take it with a grain of salt being as I am Blood-Sucking Merchant Scum[tm]. B)

Seriously, we make clothing and can sell you your full kit -- top to toes. But we also recognize that not everyone can afford that. (Hell, I could never afford that. It's why I learned how to sew!)

So we also sell patterns and fabric so you can sew your own.

And if your budget won't stretch even that far, we offer advice and free articles about what was worn in the period. So you can do it all yourself.

I may be a businesswoman, but my real intent is to spread good information. And if that means giving it away for free, I'll do that too! :)

If I can help you in any way, with any step of your quest, dude, just PM me.

B)

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Kass, I think I may take you up on that offer. I am planning on doing New Years Eve in Baltimore aboard the clipper. I'll write you over an email shortly. I am about to depart for Florida in an hour, staying at family for two days, then ferry over to Key West.

SHIP2-1.jpg

The trouble with good kit is that you never have everything you want...

13 (14?) years doing maritime reenactment and I'm still making and buying. :blink:

The trick is to try to get it right first time. You want to buy a coat, but the correct coat is $100 (say), but you can't afford that right now. You can buy a cheaper one that's not quite right for $50, so you get it. BUT, if you know it's not right then you'll hanker after the proper one anyway, and save up and buy it later. It's so much more sensible to live without a coat for a little bit longer and buy the $100 good one in the first place.

Even worse is when you just take a vendor's word for it that what you're buying from them is right* - you give them your money, then later when you've done your own research you find out that those fall-front breeches are great for F&I, but crap for GAoP.

Research first, then buy what's right - it works out a whole lot less expensive in the long run. And remember, there's a reason that cheap kit is cheap - find out what the reason is.

*This is not to say that all vendors are just out to take your money. There are reliable vendors, but it takes a little research to find out who is and who isn't. Kass, for example, I'm sure would say "no, that's not right for what you want, but give me a couple of weeks and I'll make you one that is". :)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I see what you are saying in the coat illistration.... to get it right would have cost $150.00 not just $100.00 .....

But I view it a little differently....

I would rather make my mistakes on $2.00 a yard cotton, and have somethig to wear as I took my time making it right out of $8.20 a yard linen....

My blue checked linen shirt came out exactly how I wanted it.... But it cost me $30.60 to make it out of cotton first instead of $24.60 if I made it out of linen first..... But sleeves on the cotton shirt are about one inch shorter than I like them, so I fixed that on the linen shirt..... :blink:

Basicaly, I make a "mock-up" that I can use befor I make "the Real Thing"

I'm not saying one way is wrong or right....I'm just saying how I do it........ B)

So Pat, just for argument's sake, let me ask you a question:

If someone offered you a linen shirt that was both well-researched and fit you the way you like, and it cost $55, would you buy it rather than making your cotton and linen versions?

oh, matusalem. I've been there, heck, I *am* there all the time it seems.

The one thing I've learned, besides how to sew, is how to plan. Find the thread in Plunder about the top 10 things for a new kit. I know that a lot of the time it's really easy to get destracted by the fancy stuff. That amazing hand dyed wool frock coat with the custom made trim and million and one buttons is so tempting, and it's find to have on the big list, but it's not where you start. Sadly the things in the begining are often not pretty or fancy, or even things that anyone who doesn't know is even going to comment on. But they are vital! That fancy coat can wait, a pair of pants can't (well, if you want to be going out in public at least). If you build your kit in a well planned order, then taking your time won't have a negitive effect. You will be dressed as you work and sooner than you know it, you'll be buying the fabric for that fancy coat.

Best of luck. We'll be here to cheer you on every step of the way.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Pat, you're quite right - my comments were aimed at those buying kit rather than making it.

A lot of the time if I'm making kit I'll make it out of cheap cotton, cut it about and re-sew it until I get it right, then take it to pieces and use the cotton as a pattern for the real garment. Depending on what I'm making I'll sometimes reuse the cotton as an interlining.

But when you're buying kit a: you shouldn't need to worry about buying the cheap to experiment with sizes, and b: the experimentation is a lot more expensive. There's a big difference between throwing away $6 to get something you're making right, and throwing away $50 on something that will never be right.

So yes kids, when making your own kit it often pays to by something cheap and nasty to test, when buying kit it never (or rarely) does.

Chole makes an excellent point too. You could spend $100 on a perfect coat, but if you don't really need that kind of coat then that's $100 you could have spent on shirts, shoes, hose, belts, plates, knives, mugs... something more useful.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I've surrendered to the fact that my kit will never be "complete." There will always be some whatnot, thingamajig, doodad, or shiny gizmo to make or buy.

Case in point; I thought I was done acquiring until at least after next season, and then I ran across a pistol bucket that I really want. Oh, and there's that dagger I've had my eye on... :blink:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

If someone offered you a linen shirt that was both well-researched and fit you the way you like, and it cost $55, would you buy it

That's a trick question ..... right ? :blink:

$55.00 for a linen shirt is a great price.... but I would still make my own... I figure it's a learning experience..... but I'm kinda wierd that way..... B)

But for someone that is buying thier stuff..... $55. 00 for a linen Shirt would be a great deal.

I thought so, Pat. You like to make your own stuff. Me too. I like to say: "This is the sweat of my brow!"

Jigme, unfortunately my shirts are really $75 but that's only because my "elves" are in the union. B)

Jack, it's never done. Believe me! There's always something you need/want/can't live without... :blink:

Chole, good one! I always advise people to start with their underwear -- and by that I mean shift, stays, and petticote for a woman and shirt and breeches for a man. Add a hat and both are reasonably "decent" (for a certain definition of "decent"). And then they can put on the other layers as they get them or make them. But except for the stays, shirts, shifts, petticotes and breeches tend to be relatively inexpensive.

My blue checked linen shirt came out exactly how I wanted it.... But it cost me $30.60 to make it out of cotton first instead of $24.60 if I made it out of linen first.....

Did i read this wrong Pat? Are you saying that it cost you $5.40 MORE to make it out of incorrect cotton first????!!!!????

So it would have been cheaper to make it out of linen first?

I know what you are saying though...

For me, I would rather make the first one out of the cheapest correct materials that i can.

because....

I do not have a sewing machine, so everything I do is hand sewn. I hate putting hand sewn "hours" into something that I know I will never use.

If it turns out ok, than I have a shirt to use or loan out to a noob, if it doesn't, then I have a little bit more expensive mistake.

But for your shirt example, for a difference of $6 bucks (or even $10-20), you figure your time alone is worth $6 an hour.... right?

And Lastly

Living history is more addictive than crack... you can quit crack anytime AND there will be groups around to help you break the addiction.

With re-enacting, there is always one more coat (or jacket, or pair of socks, or whole other period) that you will want.

I personally have a 25 year addiction (to living history) going....

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Very true, Greg. Living history IS more addictive than crack.

Besides, if you want to quit crack, your friends will probably help you quite. If you want to quit living history, your friends will do everything they can to keep you hooked! :blink: