Time Life Book on Pirates

Cpt. Alva

on a recent trip looking for interesting books (I buy sell and trade used books), I found a single volume from a Time Life series on seafarers, about piracy......

many period woodcuts, and other pictures depicting common outfits in the period.....as soon as I have time to scan 'em in, I promise I'll share 'em, to help everybody......

if you've already got the book, and things have been posted from it, please let me know, so I don't post pictures everybody's already seen!

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

I have the book that you speak of, as well as Fighting Sail, The Pacific Navigators and The Clipper Ships of the same series. Very nice for quick reference and well illustrated.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Cool....then you know how valuable it can be to re-enactors....

I will start scanning 'em prolly before the end of the week.....

that is, unless what I plan to scan has already been posted.......

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Since those of us who don't own the book can't tell what you plan to scan, if it were possible to produce a list before you start scanning we could point out the ones already posted, as well as any perhaps known not to be period.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I'd say 99% of the stuff (both the good and the bad) is already found on the net. That being said, I don't know that I've ever seen the 1715 Newfoundland cod fishermen print on page 167 out there. It's a neat pic... if you are looking for guys in hoodies wearing boots.

;)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

okay, you're all probably right, but I can make a list anyway (should have it up sometime before the weekend, weather permitting)

most of the stuff is dated, and so I won't post anything that wasn't produced DURING the period......I'll also make sure to post the date, so everybody here knows.....

here's the aforementioned Cod Fisherman pic:

fisherman.jpg

BRAVO Alva ol boy!!!

Bravo!

Now I can wear a leather apron, hoody and boots and Foxe can't yell at me!

:huh:

If you are taking requests, how about pgs 14/15, 18 and 83? Especially those last two! I'm pretty sure I've seen those before, but they should be seen more often.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Sure!, it's kinda easy to do, so I can get 'em goin' quick enough!

spread.jpg

(no date given, only mentions that it is 'an 18th century view')

gale.jpg

(no date given, only that it is an '18th century engraving')

cannonblast.jpg

(1734)

DAMN, I love my scanner! :huh:

The painting of Bristol docks is by Peter Monomy (1681-1749), if memory serves it's slap bang in the GAoP, but I might be wrong.

John, I promise not to yell at you provided that:

a: your hoodie is one such as that in the picture

b: your boots are knee-length

c: you stink of fish

But how do you know the aprons are leather (not that I ever had a problem with leather aprons anyway).

(And given the number of pirates who used the Newfie fishing fleet as a hunting and recruiting ground I'm seriously considering making one of those long hoodies - gotta finish the great coat first)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

heh, thanks Foxe for putting a date on the top picture......

really sorry about having to splice it like that, usually my scanner can get right into the crease, but it just wasn't working for this two page spread.......

That's ok, I've seen the original :huh:

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

I'll post some more pictures this evening sometime......

Time Life : The Seafarers

I purchased this series off ebay last Christmas as a gift from me to me. Found it to be well worth the cost which was under $90 for the series + shipping. Watch those shipping cost as 22 books are very heavy.

A pleasant surprise for me in this lot of books has been "The Whalers". Tons of history thar I had never imagined.

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

I only have the one volume (Pirates), and I paid.....I think $8-10 for it....

still well worth it in my opinion.....

I have been picking up these books at flea markets and off of eBay for several months. I have most of them... but not all. I am really not anxious about picking up the few that I do not own, but I have to review my master list before that statement is set in stone.

I have multiple copies of The Pirates (this was the first issue released as the discounted promo for the series, so there are LOTS of copies out there), and The Spanish Main. I think the best in the series is either The Whalers, or The Explorers. But for sheer reading enjoyment, I think the narrative in The Windjammers is the most thrilling.

I also snagged the promotional poster for the series, released with the first volume, of Pirate Ships.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Cool, I picked my copy of "The Pirates" up at an antique mall, no other volumes were there (not surprising, since this is the volume that sells the series, and so was produced in greater quantity)....

nonetheless, it's a great book, full of great pictures.....I really learned a lot!