Salvaged buckles.

I salvaged a couple of buckles from an almost-completely rotted-away saddle baldric. They were tarnished to such a degree it was really hard to tell exactly what shape they were in, so I cleaned 'em up with some lemon juice and steel wool, and discovered:

buckles2.jpg

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the one on the left appears to be copper, or at least a particularly heavy copper mix of brass. The color values in the pic aren't perfect, the actual buckle is an even richer copper-color than it shows here.

So, if I'm going to use it for anything, I'll have to possibly find some other copper or coppoer-toned hardware (which, after a quick Google, doesn't seem that likely, to my chagrin), or use it without other hardware.

sig2.jpg

Just amongst odds and ends of tack kept in a storage shed of my father's.

It lost a good chunk of roof and wall in a relatively recent storm, and we moved everything out -- just now getting it cobbled back together and able to move everything back into it out of truck campers, trunks, the back porch, etc.

These happened to by laying about. We had actually assumed they probably came from the same girth -- from which the center had rotted completely away. If that was the case, whoever made it was just matching together odd buckles, because they are definitely different, though cast the same.

sig2.jpg

I've noticed through the years (I used to work at a American Civil War relic shop) that the brass used during that period often had a high copper content, due to shortages I suppose. In fact, many times, the authenticity of a piece often hinged on that copper content.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Bronze can be differant in its mix., but for the most part it would be 85% copper 5% tin 5% lead and 5% whatever? Bronze is very differant from brass. Brass is 60% copper and 40% Zinc.

I have cannons made of both. I can tell you this.,the U.S. Government doesnt have brass cannons . It has steel ., Iron ., and Bronze., Bronze being the prefered gun due to corrosion resistance and strength., yes strength.,, 2 cannons of equal size and bore ., the Bronze will be substantially heavier. Also I am unaware of a Bronze barreld pistol or rifle however ., and there are several in brass. I have 2 pistols and 1 brass blunderbuss with brass barrels.

I just purchased a Bronze bust of "Nelson" It will be interesting to see what the properties are., its an english peice from the mid 19th century . Metals today are alot differant., they are better.

The buckles could be any of a variety of mixes.

I suspect it may become part of a pistol belt...

They are good looking buckles no doubt and will make fine accruements to your kit.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"