GAoP science, anyone?

Capn_Enigma

The Royal Society has digitized part of their archives. Of special interest may be the GAoP contemporary science editions of the "Philosophical Transactions", their regular publication, beginning in the year 1683.

I have already found gems like a "Tide-Table, Shewing the True Times of the High-Waters at London-Bridge" for 1683, and several others for subsequent years, sunspot observations, an "Historical account of the Trade Winds, and Monsoons" by Edmund Halley, microscopic examinations by Anthony Leeuwenhoek, etc etc.

Most of the texts are in English, as opposed to the then "scientific language", Latin.

But you have to hurry:

The complete archive will be FREE online at www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk until the end of November 2006.  Following this period it will continue to be free as part of any of the Royal Society's new journal subscription packages.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

thank ye kind for the intellectual booty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Speaking of intellectual booty. Where I work, The Huntington Libraryhas had the Brundy Library of the history of Science (formerly at MIT) donated to it. 50,000 volumes on the history of science. Including instrument and some of the scariest (think Haunted Mansion scary) portraits of scientists ever. Galileo in particular give me the creeps.

http://www.huntington.org/ResearchDiv/SciRes.html

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency