Frock Coat and ahoy!

Ahoy there! I be a new sailer to these waters......Captain Amelia Hart at your service......Ever need me just call and I'll be there, all ship shape and fiercesome lookin.........

I has a question for you scurvy seadogs......

Where cans i find a Frock coat like Jack Sparrows? I can spends my gold up to 200 pieces.......

All help is much appreiated, much obliged

Stick to the code me hearty's...........Captain Amelia Hart x B)

Make your own or get a friend (or a Mom to do it). That's my way. You can find Colonial patterns (@ Walmart or craft stores) and alter them. You can also rehash the pattern to suit your needs. A pocket or sleeve cuff change is easy, if you just plan it out on paper first.

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

I bought my first frock coat pattern from Jas Townsend & Son, then shortly thereafter, found virutally the same thing for a lot less at Jo Anns fabric store. It's a Butterick pattern - number P203. It includes not only the pattern for the coat, but patterns for the vest, shirt, and breeches.

Though the look is more Colonial, it can easily be adapted to an earlier time period.

The frock coat I'm currently working on, is a gentelman's coat so it won't have the big sleeve cuffs that you'd find on the more piratey Captian's coats.

The reason for this choice is because I plan to use it for more than just pirate stuff, I like to make my costumes adaptable for other character uses.

RumbaRue

**In the beginning there was nothing, then it exploded** :(

• 1 month later...

You can go to my costumer, JoAnn at Costumes, Period. She is absolutely brilliant, reasonable, and quick. Her costuming was so good, that I was signing autographs at the Disney DVD release party. People thought I was in the movie.

http://members.aol.com/dressmup/

Or email JoAnn at DressMup@aol.com

Be sure to tell her that Nigel referred ya.

Another good place to get a piratey coat is Kristismart.com She has reasonable prices.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Not exactly a Jack Sparrow coat, but an excellent piece is the Billy Bones coat, from Bradley Company of the Fox. (tried to post a link but it didn't work. do a google search)

The coat is modeled on the one worn by Billy Bones in the TNT version of Treasure Island from the early 90's. Oliver Reed (wonderful actor) made the character and the coat worn in the opening scenes is the ultimate pirate's coat.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Thanks Mr Hawkyns. As always a source of golden knowledge and links.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

I'd have to say Ebay would probably be your best bet for finding a ready made coat. Of course, 200 doubloons would probably be pushing it. Those coats on that spot go for mega-bucks! And they won't fit you just right, unless you're one lucky duck.

My advice is to watch, watch, watch the movie, noticing every little detail on the coat. Then, go out and buy a costume pattern. I'm sure one will be out very soon from Simplicity or McCalls. You should probably check their websites every so often.

Next, go scour the fabric stores and online. Hancock Fabrics is one of my favorites. The shipping doesn't kill you, and they run frequent sales. You'll also probably want to learn how to accurately age the fabric, since dear Jack's outfit wasn't the classiest in the movie...and to give it that dirty piratey look.

Lastly, sit down and make your own or find a handy seamstress in the family who likes you. Or, if it's a sewing job, you'll probably have to find someone who dearly loves you. It's hard when your a pirate....

Good luck!

:wub:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

http://66.0.193.113/cgi-bin/www11650.storefront

this is for Museum Replicas Limited. They are pricey, but they have some nice things. I know the coat for the captain is very nice, and fits an average person well. The only thing I hated was the little bows on it in gold.. made it look very froo froo, and the trim was more Greek Key than 17th century.

Captains Coat(#9-741)

Men of stature in the 18th C knew the importance of making a strong sartorial impression in society. Our Captain's Coat is taken from a northern European military leader's coat of the late 1700's. Made of a lush cotton corduroy in your choice of burgundy, royal blue or hunter green. Delicate gold and black trim. Wear it with comfort and authority. Colors may vary slightly. Dry clean only. S, M, L, XL. #9741...$120 ($6.95 s/h)

Price includes Shipping and Handling Costs

Color blue burgundy green

Size Extra Large Large Medium Small

Product Number 9741-1

Price ea. $126.95

Total $126.95

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Hawkyns, I found your site. The coat is $125 plus some for shipping. It is nicely shaped and made of cotton.

bradley company of the Fox.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coat - Billy Bones (BCBN-001)

Price - $125.00

This coat follows traditional 18th century styling with vertical slash cuffs, a single shoulder cape, and working pockets. It is made of 10 oz. natural canvas duck and can be treated to repel water. Patterned after Captain Billy Bones coat in the movie Treasure Island and makes a nice addition to your seaman’s gear! State sizes M, L, XL, XXL and send #1, 12, 13 & 22 from the men’s measurement guide.

If you would like this coat color dyed, make a comment when you check out and $15.00 will be added to your order after review by our staff.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Just bought one of these me'sen. Got it in a dark brown canvas. When it arrived, I took a couple o' cans of the wax for drover's coats and soaked the whole coat, then ironed it in. Made the coat a might stiff, but now it's ready for a foul day on the Providence or an evil night in camp.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Me sister made my coat based on a pattern for the revolutionary regimental coat. Since she be usin' my machine, it only cost me the material (which still ran around $100). It took 'er about a week workin' time ta get it done (40 hours) 'cause I wanted the buttons ta be functional rather than decorative. There be forty o' the buggers an' that's quite a lot o' hand stitchin'. It's upholstery weight crushed velvet on the outside with a unbleached muslin linin'. I be tellin' ya that wimin weren't the only ones uncomfotable in their dress in those days. Ya can't slouch wearin' that stuff. But it looks great and once ya learn how ta breath proper, it ain't so bad. Anyways, she gots a lot o' costume patterns an' cin alter things an' dress 'em up, so if'n anybody thinks ya wanna get in touch with 'er fer somethin', let me know an' I'll hook ya up. I think I've blathered enough. Got verbal dysentary, I do. :lol:

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.