New with a question

Ebony

This is my first topic so I'm going to start with why I'm here. I am currently researching Madame Ching, whom I believe was an 18th century whore turned pirate.

Can anyone suggest, recommend, point me to any resources on the orient in the mid to late 1800s? This would include any information on Ching, her husband, her crew, etc. I've chosen this as the inspiration for my 2006 Nano (National Novel Writing Month) piece and could use all the help I can get.

*laughs* not exactly a newbie question is it?

Nano starts November 1st and requires 50,000 words by the end of the month. Thanks for sparing me some time.

Ebs

Wow this was one tough chick!

Though she seems to come in late for the GaOP

Short Bio

Also known as

Madame Ching, Hsi Kai, Shih Yang, Kai Ching Yih, or Ching Yih Saou/Ching Yih Saoa/Cheng I Sao/Zheng Yi Sao

Wiki on her with a picture

A pirate queen from the South China Sea. She is first seen as a Cantonese prostitute named Shih Yang. In 1801 she married Cheng I, a commander of a pirate squadron. Cheng I fought on the Tay-son side of the Vietnamese rebellion until 1802 when the fight collapsed and was forced to retreat to the South China Sea. By 1804 Cheng I had had united a coalition of pirates numbering 400 junks and 70,000 men under seven banners - including the red, yellow, green, blue, black and white. On November 16, 1807, Cheng I died during a gale.

Through political manipulation Cheng I Soa was able to step in as admiral of the overall pirate fleet. To cement her position she even went so far as to marry Chang Poa, the commander of one of the squadrons and her previously adopted son

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Oh...an welcome to th pub! ;)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

welcome lass.

there are a few resources but have not read much past what has already been types in response.

there is a bit on her in "Under the Black Flag" by david cordingly also in the notes section of same text are refernces to "history of the pirates who infested the China Sea from 1807 to 1810" by Karl F Neumann

and journal entries of sailors

john turner, "Sufferings of john turner chief mate of the ship tay bound for china and her seizure and captivity amoung the ladrones"

and Richard Glasspool "a brief narrative of my captivity and treatment amoungst the ladrones"

there are a few other listed as well

good luck should i find anymore i will post them to ye

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Now that Red Cat Jenny gots ye headed of to the South China Sea..

Eyes..... that I'd welcome ye to this spot er in da Pub . Has a toast fer ye travels in such... Me Tankard be raised to ye! :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."