"Militiaman with Empty Glass"

Patrick Hand

vanmieris1.jpg

Gentleman of Fortune posted this in the SHIRT INFO REPOSITORY thread.... but there are a lot of interesting things in the picture....

OK first off, He is a Militiaman, and not a Sailor or Pyrate, but there is still a lot of cool information in the painting.....

Hey... what's that off his shoulder ? is it part of the baldrick, or a shoulder knot..... :unsure:

I was looking ah the hand guard on his sword.... it's steel and not brass, but it is the same shape as the sword that I am modifying...... (I have to find where I posted that stuff..... but it's almost finished...)

And look at his coat cuffs !

Cool stuff.......

Yes, looks like a shoulder knot to me... and as for the steel hilt, tis possible. I have an original small sword with a steel hilt just a bit later than this painting...

Hey were you able to blow the picture up without pixelating it to find out about the "stripes"? I honestly think they are supposed to be lines indicating gathers but would like to know what you discovered upon closer examination....

It would also be interesting to know whether or not, that brim of that hat is actually held in place with two buttons and a piece of cording??

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Hey were you able to blow the picture up without pixelating it to find out about the "stripes"?

Unfortunatly, they did pixilate... so I can't be 100% sure.... but looking at patches of the sleeves, they are all white.... so I think the lines are just the gathering of the shirt into the coller and cuffs......

On the hat, there is a button and a loop of cording... but I can't positivily make out what the loop is attached to........

I might have to do a search, and see if I can find a higher ressolution version........